The AK320 thread
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #661 of 743
My AK320 screen is not functioning though I can tell all the other buttons work (except the bottom button since the only function is to return you to the homescreen...)

Do you guys have any ideas?

The screws are extremely weird and of course I can't open it myself (exactly what you'd expect from a $2000 player).

So now I'm hoping that AK will reply and agree to fix it (even if it's at my expense... better than a paperweight) or if I could at least find a way to force it into USB DAC mode then I could still get some use out of it. Any ideas for that last part?

Did you try to reset it?

"In cases of unexpected device failure or freeze, press the [power ] button for 12 seconds to force a shutdown."

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #663 of 743
Yes. That's how I found out the power button was still working because I was able to shut it off (it was playing music).

Turned it back on and no dice.

I see, and I´m sorry you have this problem.

This is the first time I read this issue, so I suppose it is not a common problem and, thus, you will have to send it to A&K for repairing.

Unfortunately, there´s no way to force a firmware installation so it can be factory restored. A couple of days ago I had this problem with a Garmin FR235. I knew it was on but the screen was commpletely black. Fortunately, I connected it to the computer and, since there was a firmware update available, after the update the screen was alive again.

So I suppose it is not a hardware problem and there will be no need to open it. It will probably need to restore the firmware which may be corrupted for any reason.

Good luck.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #664 of 743
Okay, I know this thread is a bit old, but I haven't seen anything thus far on the ability to sort music via album by artist. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. Not as intuitive as an ipod.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #665 of 743
question for the thread, is there kind of cross-feed feature? I find too many of my favorite tracks are awkwardly mastered for headphone listening with bass entirely in one ear and drums entirely in the other. I find this very distracting and would really like a switchable adjustable feature like i can use in foobar. Any way to do this on AK daps? any other high end daps you know of have this feature?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #666 of 743
Would like to see that, too!

late reply, but I own the ak320 and listened to he WMA1 before buying the AK.
I felt the Sony was too smoothed over, not as realistic as the AK320.
that said, I think the Sony has a ESS Sable DAC, which to my ears always sound too smoothed over.
I prefer the AK which has the AK4490 dual DAC, more realistic, more "live" sounding.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #667 of 743
Fellow headfiers. I need your advice. I'm not completely happy with my ak320+amp combo. Looking to alter sig to my preferences. Can't stand harsh highs and more into basshead. Was thinking to buy either shure sha900 or vorzuge duo II. Both have eq. I prefer a dedicated circuitry over built in eq.

Any help is appreciated.

late reply, but i would suggest the Fostex TH00x HPs which you can run on the AK320 alone without the amp with excellent results be/c the Fostex
are easier to drive. I have the combo, and usually listen at about 90/150 volume (max = 150), so I'm still not even running the amp too hard.
these Fostex are naturally bass-heavy, and fit your basshead standards. In fact, I personally gave my Fostex HPs a Lawton upgrade to reduce the bass in the cups.

And yes, I think most of us prefer not to use EQ, but even if you did with the AK320 and Fostex pairing, the gain will be reduced while sending the signal through the EQ chip.
But even if you used EQ, you would still have plenty of headroom with the volume. e.g. when i use EQ, my volume goes up from 90 to about 110 for the same listening level as with no EQ.
hope this helps,
Gary

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #668 of 743
Just got the 320 and cradle with the ak recorder. I love the sound so far with UE 18+ pro ciem. Much more detailed than my ak 240.
I have a couple questions for any one with experience with the system .
1. Has any one other than myself bought and used the recorder? There is NOTHING posted about this system and it worries me that AK has sold a bill of sale they can not actually support technically thereby turning off would be adopters of this promising system.
2. if yes, what is the largest memory card I can instal in the 320 that will work to play files as well as WRITE files from the recorder to the 320. What speed will this card need to be to write dsd files reliably in the field? What brands have people had success with? Card brand and size/read/write speeds recommendations?
3. How much time will 120 gig provide of 2x dsd recording time? Will the recorder reliably write to external media or does the system prefer or require the internal storage for writing tasks?
4. Can I write dsd files to the 320 then copy those files over via mac book pro to my 240 for true dsd playback. (Non DoP).
5. What else should I be aware of regarding system handicaps I.E battery time while recording. I can already tell the battery time is NOT a strong suit of this player compared to my 240. I have already bought a high speed charger to offset this potential problem. Its good that ak furnished the recorder with a port for 5v charging , otherwise I doubt I could get an hour and a half of any event recorded without running out of power. Kind of crashing the whole concept of a truly portable recorder if you ask me but I can adapt where I can find AC power in the field and pack bigger batteries with inverters for my upcoming trip to document ethnomusical culture in Africa in the spring.
Thanks for any and all replies. I really went out on a limb with this rig and will want to return it if it is just too buggy or underpowered to actually perform the functions AK so boldly claim it will.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #670 of 743
Ya, pretty slow thread these days.
I bought a used 320 in the last couple of months, so I’m trying to figure out some things as well.

1. There is one review I read that said the field recordings were very good, especially in DSD.
But the 24/192 recordings are very good as well. They pointed out the same potential drawbacks that you did in terms of battery limits, etc.
2. I might suggest trying to contact AK directly.
3. Unk

4. Should be able to with an Android File Transfer App. I’m researching some Apps. One looks good but runs $29, “Commander One”. Would be good for your project and transferring b/w Mac computer and Android devices (ak320 to/fro).
5. When I looked at the mic options and saw the power required for high end dual mics in the field,I decided the AK recorder wasn’t for me. YMMV. of course. At that point, the scale tipped in favor of the TOTL SONY or the similar TASCOM at about 1/2 the price. When I want quick good comparisons of digital recorders, I just got to BHPhotovideo, good complete selection

6. Ethnomusic recording in Africa! Awesome.
I’m 47 and thought today that I should make a bucket list.
A similar adventure would be in my bucket........
Gary

Just got the 320 and cradle with the ak recorder. I love the sound so far with UE 18+ pro ciem. Much more detailed than my ak 240.
I have a couple questions for any one with experience with the system .
1. Has any one other than myself bought and used the recorder? There is NOTHING posted about this system and it worries me that AK has sold a bill of sale they can not actually support technically thereby turning off would be adopters of this promising system.
2. if yes, what is the largest memory card I can instal in the 320 that will work to play files as well as WRITE files from the recorder to the 320. What speed will this card need to be to write dsd files reliably in the field? What brands have people had success with? Card brand and size/read/write speeds recommendations?
3. How much time will 120 gig provide of 2x dsd recording time? Will the recorder reliably write to external media or does the system prefer or require the internal storage for writing tasks?
4. Can I write dsd files to the 320 then copy those files over via mac book pro to my 240 for true dsd playback. (Non DoP).
5. What else should I be aware of regarding system handicaps I.E battery time while recording. I can already tell the battery time is NOT a strong suit of this player compared to my 240. I have already bought a high speed charger to offset this potential problem. Its good that ak furnished the recorder with a port for 5v charging , otherwise I doubt I could get an hour and a half of any event recorded without running out of power. Kind of crashing the whole concept of a truly portable recorder if you ask me but I can adapt where I can find AC power in the field and pack bigger batteries with inverters for my upcoming trip to document ethnomusical culture in Africa in the spring.
Thanks for any and all replies. I really went out on a limb with this rig and will want to return it if it is just too buggy or underpowered to actually perform the functions AK so boldly claim it will.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #671 of 743
So i've had my ak320 for a few days now, and i got to say it spanks the pants off the Kann. Why is it so hard to make a player with decent storage and sound quality? you would think with so many companies competing around the 1k$ price point strategically gimping products wouldn't be economically viable. The total parts list for the second DAC and better clock ect probably like 25$ more in parts. how much space and $$$ does 256+ gb of memory take?

That being said i do like the 320 and intend to carry it for years to come.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #672 of 743
So i've had my ak320 for a few days now, and i got to say it spanks the pants off the Kann. Why is it so hard to make a player with decent storage and sound quality? you would think with so many companies competing around the 1k$ price point strategically gimping products wouldn't be economically viable. The total parts list for the second DAC and better clock ect probably like 25$ more in parts. how much space and $$$ does 256+ gb of memory take?

That being said i do like the 320 and intend to carry it for years to come.

Agree, great player and pretty future proof right now, save for the limited space you've pointed out.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #674 of 743
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #675 of 743

Users who are viewing this thread

Back