The AirHead/BitHead Replacement?????
Nov 25, 2008 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Headroom,
As I read the discussion on the sale of desktop and other max lines of amps that may be replaced by newer models in the years to come, I wanted to know if there were plans to replace the Airhead and Bithead models. I may be in the market in the next few months but if there is a redesign soon I may hold off.
Kevin

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 53
We're working on it ... but we've been working on it for years. The trick with good, cheap products is that they are the most expensive to design and build. We were at a point where we thought we had a track laid out for the product, but the economy and crap consumer confidence has us back up in the air about it.

All I can say for sure is that we're a year away, minimum, now.
baldy.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 53
Thats what I figured. I guess I'll buy one in january or so, wait for the new one,(Denon 1000 package), and if one comes, buy it and sell the older one. Perfect, sounds like a plan to me. I just hope the turn in the economy has not threatened Headroom's future, please say no.
Thanks Tyll, you will always have my business.
Kevin

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope the turn in the economy has not threatened Headroom's future, please say no.

Well .... the turn in the economy has threatened everybody's future. But that's a whole 'nother discussion for a whole 'nother forum.

Suffice it to say I think we have a strong reputation and product line. We're in as good a position as one could hope for, all things considered. Obviously, consumers are spending less right now, and we would love orders from anyone who would like to buy gear from us.

I would say that we're beating the averages at the moment.

Knock wood.
L3000.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 53
Yeah, I have a regular bithead and I'm trying to figure out what to do myself. I'd like to step it up a notch, but I am in no place to drop many times the bithead price at this time. Staying in business at all in this economy is a job well done!

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 53
Say, since the subject is brought up, I've got a question for you guys:

One of the struggles we always have is that there's a limit to how good we can get something to sound with our crossfeed in it because the audio had to travel through 4 active stages in order to accomplish it.

I owe some big kudos to Joe for being able to pull of competitive sound quality with that much electronics in our gear.

This problem gets more severe the less money you can throw at it. So our AirHead/BitHead are very hard to improve in terms of sound quality because of having four gain stages the sound goes through, and they all have to be cheap.

Alright, long drawn out comments to get to this question:

In the next AirHead/BitHead, should we have the crossfeed, but not a big improvement in sound quality,

or should we get rid of the crossfeed and get a more significant improvement in sound quality.

I think we've made a decision here, but I'll let you guys comment first for a bit.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 53
Tyll, I can't imagine you building an amp without crossfeed. It is absolutely a headroom trademark. I'm sure you could make an excellent amp without the restrictions of crossfeed, but there are already a few of those on the market. Headroom's crossfeed implementation, especially in the small amps, is unparalelled.

So, I guess I'm saying that my vote goes towards leaving the crossfeed in.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in the next AirHead/BitHead, should we have the crossfeed, but not a big improvement in sound quality, or should we get rid of the crossfeed and get a more significant improvement in sound quality

Well, I for one traded by Total BitHead for another amp that yielded better SQ, so I'd encourage anything in that direction...

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 53
Go for Sound quality.+++

Present owner of fairly new Total Bithead.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 53
It depends what you think sells the amps. I can tell you that I use an AirHead for travelling because it has crossfeed, and in that price range and usage model chose it for that reason alone.

Can't you go for the middle way? Why not use a passive crossfeed implementation in your low end product? It would not be difficult to offer some functionality in this direction that does not impact your active circuit design, and be cheap to implement.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 53
I personally use the crossfeed in my total airhead, but I can live without it if there was a major improvement in sound quality. I would like to see a serious improvement in durability of the jacks though. I have had a couple Airheads and both have had problems with the jacks eventually coming loose, due to the severe lack of strain relief in the casing. Although that is one of the reasons for me wanting to eventually upgrade to a portable micro, the jacks should last through the warranty period especially when I use a Right angled Cardas Mini to 1/4" adaptor with my 1/4" jack terminated headphones as recommended by HeadRoom. HeadRoom's customer service is much better than the jack reliability of the Airhead though, thankfully.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 53
I have a Total Airhead (vintage) and I used the crossfeed more for the reduction in treble (or bass boost, depending how you look at it) than for the actual psychoacoustic properties of the crossfeed. My vote would be for a choice in soundshaping -- like a variable bass boost (the LISA's neatest trick) -- rather than crossfeed.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 53
Good question Tyll. Personally, I'd say build both. I know, it may not be economically feasible, but it would give buyers their choice. I love the crossfeed circuit, but having now heard my Total Bithead up against my Portable Micro Amp w/DAC I can easily hear the improvement in sound quality - abet for a much steeper price. (Fortunately for me the Portable Micro has both improved sonics AND the crossfeed so I need not suffer :wink: ) Thus offering both might (and I say might understanding the economics of these times) give more potential customers options, and options are always a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back