The Accudio app by golden ears, a headphone revolution.
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 268
So what exactly is this app doing?
It supposedly applies some sort of EQ to make the headphones sound "neutral" relative to what Golden Ears measures. While a good claim, does this actually happen? If so, how can one be so sure it does happen?

Wow OK never mind. The interface kind of sucks. Apparently I had the SRH940 "special EQ" selected on my K 701 profile. It does sound better now with the correct "special EQ" enabled.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #32 of 268
Quote:
compare http://denkami.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-in-ear.html, in paricular the raw graph provided by shinwoo (?) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LFwLySfQ89Y/UAYgnXHoCkI/AAAAAAAAAQI/SSBEtExJ8Tk/s1600/MFR.png
to http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b0/b09c74e5_dc21c2e51fc68ceba92f4e6d9251b38c.png posted earlier . confusingly the first graph seems to suggest the target is one thing, and the second - another.

the first chart in the blog post suggests only a bass level 'target'. so idk...

either these targets are hp specific or golden ears decided their first standard was disliked and silently issue another one lol?
[the way they phrased target when tpeos h100 was out, made it sound like 'the standard' hmmm...]

That  8k peak looks painful 

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #33 of 268
I purchased the full app last fall. I used it occasionally until recently. I demoed some better IEMs (Shure, Etymotics, UE900s) and this EQ really destroys the original recordings air and detail. On many of my very well know tracks the EQ changes the sound and really does what it advertises. It can also make different headphones sound like others such as giving the Shures the Etymotic sound signature. The main issue I had was when listening to tracks I know intimately even though it can has a pleasing effect on some cans that don't sound like you actually want, it just flattens out the sound and it becomes lifeless. You lose alot of air and spaciousness.

If you read what Golden Ears is trying to do with this app you get a better understanding. They state they are trying to help people that do not want to spend alot of money on a high end headphone get a similar sound. They are also trying to help people tame issues with lower end headphones. 

This is a very good EQ but it has its drawbacks. I ended up deleting a $6 app because after making my comparisons across my headphones, I could really hear the bad effects. Even my $99 Shure SE215s just lose to much resolution with the app engaged. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 268
Quote:
I purchased the full app last fall. I used it occasionally until recently. I demoed some better IEMs (Shure, Etymotics, UE900s) and this EQ really destroys the original recordings air and detail. On many of my very well know tracks the EQ changes the sound and really does what it advertises. It can also make different headphones sound like others such as giving the Shures the Etymotic sound signature. The main issue I had was when listening to tracks I know intimately even though it can has a pleasing effect on some cans that don't sound like you actually want, it just flattens out the sound and it becomes lifeless. You lose alot of air and spaciousness.

If you read what Golden Ears is trying to do with this app you get a better understanding. They state they are trying to help people that do not want to spend alot of money on a high end headphone get a similar sound. They are also trying to help people tame issues with lower end headphones. 

This is a very good EQ but it has its drawbacks. I ended up deleting a $6 app because after making my comparisons across my headphones, I could really hear the bad effects. Even my $99 Shure SE215s just lose to much resolution with the app engaged. 

Yeah I kind of realized this with the K 701. Yes it sounds more balanced and more neutral, but you lose some of the K 701's massive soundstage and detail retrieval. With the "special EQ" enabled, the soundstage seems more closed-in and the detail resolution, and especially in the treble and upper-midrange, seems less.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 268
Quote:
Yeah I kind of realized this with the K 701. Yes it sounds more balanced and more neutral, but you lose some of the K 701's massive soundstage and detail retrieval. With the "special EQ" enabled, the soundstage seems more closed-in and the detail resolution, and especially in the treble and upper-midrange, seems less.

Glad we agree. I should apologize for earlier things I said in another thread. I just felt it was better to drop out and not cause any more issues. Hope no hard feelings.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #36 of 268
OP updated with this:

Question I asked Accudio:
I'm wondering why you don't "eq" the headphones to your headphone version of "flat".
the accudio adjustment is clearly much closer to neutral but it looks  like (according to my interpretation of the graphs and everything on your site that i've read) that it still leaves some imbalances in place.  why is that?

Answer from Accudio:
[size=x-small]Preset equalizing values of accudio are obtained by measurements.[/size]
[size=x-small]But, ironically, flat frequency response from the coupler(IEC711) after "exact" equalizing do not guarantee better performance.[/size]

[size=x-small]Here are some reasons for that.[/size]
[size=x-small]Some deeps are resulted from cancellation. Those are never repaired.[/size]
[size=x-small]Some peaks are dependant on individuals. Those can not be repaired exactly, so we go with "average". It leaves some peaks or deeps.[/size]
[size=x-small]Too much modification with equalizer means loosing dynamics. [/size]
[size=x-small]If there is limatation on frequency response range, which are incurable, a peak can compensate the limitation somewhat. So We leave the peak.[/size]

[size=x-small]Presets in Accudio is like our recommedation for users who don't want to bother with parametric EQ, not an engineering menifesto.[/size]
[size=x-small]So, we encourage our users to use "additional setting" to make more personalized EQ settings.[/size]
[size=x-small]("Vocal" band is  around 3kHz, "Sibilant"band is around 8kHz. Names of the bands are not relevant with actual vocal or sibilant range, but usually those effects the vocal or sibilant sound because most earphones or headphones make resonances (too much or too less) in that bands.[/size][size=x-small])[/size]

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #37 of 268
Hi Guys, I have been googling for a free equalizer app to help dispel the disappointment I feel when listening to music on my shiny new expensive iPad!
To explain: My hearing is way less than perfect, infact, at 65, I've just about caught up with the age assessment the audiologist gave me 25 years ago!
In short, I was told that my ears needed glasses long, long ago!

I have bought a pair of Kitsound Beamers Bluetooth phones..... I'm sure these would not wow you serious audiophiles, but they were the best I could afford and I'm pleased with them, they are comfortable to wear and the base is rich. (I find most cheap phones seem to lack any base or colour.)

Problem is, I have found the iPad equalizer totally useless......none of the settings seem to have any effect!...(maybe it's my failing ears!)

I have been looking for a free app to help me out!
As a Windows user, I had expected there would be an equalizer which was just that. ie. it would shape the sound output across all media and nothing more.

I get the feeling that this, in common with other Equalizers for iPads, is combined with a music player.
What happens if I were to play a video or movie, using another player, would their sound also be processed by the equalizer, or are the adjustments only applied to the output of this player?

In fact, would it work at all with phones that are wirelessly connected?

I'm also mystified as to why I can find neither the paid nor the free app using iTunes or Appshopper on my iPad....why is that?
Ahh.. found it! only listed as an iPhone app ....does this mean the display is just a poor quality blow up for the iPad screen?

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #38 of 268
Really enjoying this app on my iPhone5.

Is there a way to organize FLAC files though?
While Accudio supports all of my itunes and displays them as they should...... my FLAC albums are listed as "unknown" (under "Local") and do not display album artwork.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #40 of 268
Do they plan on making an android version? I want to try it but am lacking of iDevices :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #43 of 268
Quote:
Funny thing: I started to develop a similar software... too late I guess.

Develop it for Android.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back