The Accudio app by golden ears, a headphone revolution.
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #46 of 268
Quote:
Natively android won't allow it, If you look closely all EQs for android are only five bars... 

Wrong..... Poweramp EQ is 10 band, and IIRC Winamp and Jetaudio apps were also 10-band.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #48 of 268
Quote:
My bad. 

No worries.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #49 of 268
I had a few thoughts whilst reading all this. Firstly if your going for $300 odd headphones doesn't the manufacturer have an entire R&D department devoted to giving the headphones the best sound they can by using an mix of electronics and materials? As such when one claims they can turn such and such headphone into another headphone via eq aren't they sort of missing all the physical stuff that affects SQ? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #50 of 268
I had a few thoughts whilst reading all this. Firstly if your going for $300 odd headphones doesn't the manufacturer have an entire R&D department devoted to giving the headphones the best sound they can by using an mix of electronics and materials? As such when one claims they can turn such and such headphone into another headphone via eq aren't they sort of missing all the physical stuff that affects SQ? 

I have a few items including two of the top - pfe 232 and westone 4r

I can say that the eq for simulating another headphone does not accurately reproduce the other headphone, however it does give you a good general feel for the eq curve of the other set. Two different things though...

The 4r never captures the same bass sound as the pfe 232 and the pfe 232 never captures the smoothness of the 4r. But I think the Hifi setting to gain flatness definitely helps some. although not perfect, it helps some of the flaws of each set become less apparent, and being more of a flat eq based on their measurements, you can get flatter than you would trying to use a manual eq. This helps bring out details, as no one frequency range will overshadow another.

So I think their claim is mostly true. It improves most headphones by making them more flat (if that's what you like), and they give you a general comparison of headphone eqs...

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #51 of 268
I had a listen through my K550's and have to say it revealed a bit of a boost in the lower end that I hadn't really noticed before, so I think I find myself agreeing with much of what you have said ^:wink:

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #52 of 268
Quote:

I can set it to make my CX300 simulate the HD600, and it still doesn't sound anywhere near identical, although I don't have a DAC or amp that's designed as a good compromise for driving both to isolate that variable. Tonally setting the HD600 to HiFi (flattening the response, as much as possible) to my ears sounds a lot like the HD800, except the soundstage is still exactly where it is. Drums pushed a little further back because it flattens the bump at the upper bass to lower midrange, but that's about it as far as soundstage is concerned.

However for someone who doesn't have money for an HD800 it's a great app, but again, you can't simulate soundstaging well enough with an EQ, given the positional cues don't all come from the response, but also the driver position relative to your ears, thanks to the HD800's chassis design.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #53 of 268
I've browsed through the thread and I seem to be the only one of two having this issue, but how do you get album art to show? It's hit or miss with my albums, but I do the same thing at file transfer and all album art I have are in jpg.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #54 of 268
great app - just downloaded the free version - and I prefer the EQ'd output for my PX200-IIs

my only slight concern though - is I'm wondering whether the processing is reducing the transparency of the original recording?

maybe a setting I have, but in app "flat" - ie no EQ - doesn't sound as good to me (need further testing) than out of app in Apples own music player ?

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #55 of 268
Quote:
great app - just downloaded the free version - and I prefer the EQ'd output for my PX200-IIs

my only slight concern though - is I'm wondering whether the processing is reducing the transparency of the original recording?

maybe a setting I have, but in app "flat" - ie no EQ - doesn't sound as good to me (need further testing) than out of app in Apples own music player ?

IMO, very much so. I used this app ($5.99 paid version) for a couple of months and enjoyed tinkering with the sound of my different headphones. Then I invested in some high end IEMs. When I tried with the app and without the app, it was very apparent that it was really killing the overall sound. It squashes it and takes out alot of the air and very low level details in space of the recording. This was not obvious to me with alot of music because it is either compressed or just too busy to notice. I really began to notice this on good jazz vocals and orchestral music. This doesn't mean the app doesn't have a place or isn't good. I think it works very well with some genres and "on the go" listening. I just would never do any critical listening with it engaged.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #56 of 268
Quote:
IMO, very much so. I used this app ($5.99 paid version) for a couple of months and enjoyed tinkering with the sound of my different headphones. Then I invested in some high end IEMs. When I tried with the app and without the app, it was very apparent that it was really killing the overall sound. It squashes it and takes out alot of the air and very low level details in space of the recording. This was not obvious to me with alot of music because it is either compressed or just too busy to notice. I really began to notice this on good jazz vocals and orchestral music. This doesn't mean the app doesn't have a place or isn't good. I think it works very well with some genres and "on the go" listening. I just would never do any critical listening with it engaged.

Thats not my experience at all...

Personally, I feel there are so many factors in a process like this, personal preference based, and headphone performance based, and so on that its very hard to say what is really happening with any great certainty.

As always it really comes down to what you enjoy more.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 268
Quote:

I would agree to some extent.  Even using the denon eq app on my ipod touch, i was able to get the same overall fr curve and it sounded better.  Reverb trails and things sound more realistic.  It does almost sound like the accudio app squishes things slightly.  HOWEVER, in most situations I think that tradeoff is worth the overall improvement of the flatness that you get with most IEMs I've tried with it.  I think the difference is there, but it's small enough most people wouldn't notice it, yet they would notice the frequency improvements.  I personally like the app, but it's not perfect.  I just wish it would flatten as it does with no side effects, but again, I think the difference is extremely small.  Perhaps it is even closer to the actual sound?  I don't know, but I definitely feel like a small amount of room ambience is lost in my better IEMs.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #58 of 268
This seriously needs an android version and maybe even a pc version in the future. :p Sadly I never plan to buy any Apple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back