The A500s did not work out...need advise.
Jul 25, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
I don’t know man…in the same apparatus thingy where I heard the V700s they had a pair of V6s. At a limited volume, I preferred the sound of the V700s (perhaps there was something wrong with the V6s or the output they where connected to).

Did you really listen to the V6's, or were the headphones that you listened to actually the V600's? And did they have a metal headband or a plastic one?

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Did you really listen to the V6's, or were the headphones that you listened to actually the V600's? And did they have a metal headband or a plastic one?

They were the V6s. There must have something wrong because I remember thinking that they sounded too terrible to deserve the high regard they hold on this site.

On the other hand, the V700 did not sound as bad as people on this site describe them to be.

There might be better cans out there, but it seems that the V700 are detested with fanatical fervor (I conduted a search on these cans).

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Try the Beyer DT231. It's circumaural but not big. And HeadRoom and Todd the Vinyl Junkie both have 30 day money back guarantees should you not like them.

They were one of my original choices. Good idea.

How do they sound in coparison with the A500s.

They do look lighters and more stable.

Jul 25, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 33
Unfortunately, I haven't tried the A500, and I have a feeling that no A500 owner has tried the DT231 since it seems that not a lot of people in general have tried them. That said, I think they are excellent. Good punchy and fun sound. They provide very little isolation though, if that is a consideration at all. They are kind of plain-looking but are very sturdy and come with a fairly light cord.

Jul 25, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

They were the V6s. There must have something wrong because I remember thinking that they sounded too terrible to deserve the high regard they hold on this site.

Perhaps it's because you dislike overly bright, 'Grato'-like treble response?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Perhaps it's because you dislike overly bright, 'Grato'-like treble response?
evil_smiley.gif

I think I'm going to stay away from Sony (not much better than Bose as a company IMO).

I think I'll try the DT231s.

What do you guys think?

Jul 25, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 33
In terms of similar size to the Sony one can to keep in mins is the Senn HD25-1. They are listed on Headroom for $199, but perhaps better deals can be found. I've seen a lot of very positve response to them here on the boards, and it would fit your criteria of true portabe use. I've tried the inferior HD25-sp only, but it was a nice light phone, with enough clamping to use in an outdoor environment.

It is over your budget I'm sorry, but thats what we are here for
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
Considering how widely the VJ 700 is disliked I think that the extra $50 would be a wise investment if you were truly tempted by the sony path.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 33
i think grados would be a good choice, they seem to clap to my head nice and good.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Edit: Another set that have a nice fit are the Bose Triport Headphones…but I rather hear AM radio for the rest of my life rather than giving Bose a single penny.

Good impulse. At $150 the triports sound "OK" but are horribly flimsy. I had Bose replace mine once, what a pain that was. That wonderful plastic junction of headband to earcup just doesn't cut it for very long.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 33
dunno about dog chasin but walkin the streets with grados = no prob.

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #29 of 33
Hey…how about the HD 497s or the HD 515s for chasing dogs? Will they stay on my head? Will a portable power these cans?

Jul 26, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Hey…how about the HD 497s or the HD 515s for chasing dogs? Will they stay on my head? Will a portable power these cans?

Yes, a portable can easily power the 497s. The 515s, on the other hand, are marginal on portables - but they shine on average home audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back