The $9000 Audio-Technica ATH-W2022 is Now in Stock at Bloom Audio
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #31 of 45
Seems rather stupid to not make it an even $10,000 which would add more of a prestige effect.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 45
I can almost see the boardroom meeting where these were created. "We're going to take like 10 ATH-AWKT, change out the headband, and pay someone $100 to paint cherry blossoms and a phoenix on them, then sell them for $9k each because they're a limited edition." That said, if they actually SOUND amazing, then this becomes a collector's item and triples in price in a few years.
Who would pay $27,000 for a headphone? But then, no IQ test is required in order to possess too much money.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #34 of 45
" I DON"T WANNA OWN THESE!"

mail

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #35 of 45
Dear Head-fiers,

Imagine that there are many business owners, software developers or managers that have loose $9k. And while they still value their $9k, it won't be a huge problem to pay that price if they also value listening to the music and the overall experience. So I really don't know what you are bitching about in a world with watches going $10k+, 5- 6- and 7-stars hotels with a night for $1k+, business class flights for $1+ etc.

Every topic on head-fi looks the same, there is a product launch and then people talking not about the music or beauty of the product, but complaining about the price all the time, and it never stops, repeated every time, all the time.

For me, headphones are more important than watches or cars, I love them and value them, and I love how ATH tunes their headphones, therefore am a fan of the brand, and so I am waiting patiently for my pre-ordered pair of W2022, which is just one way of making life a little bit nicer.
I agree. There's something for everybody whenever it comes to any product.
Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, and if one is happy to pay top dollar for something like this, who am I to complain?
These are definitely not for me or people like me.
But whomever these are for, go ahead and indulge yourselves.
You obviously are looking at something the rest of us aren't, and needless to say, have the resources and the willingness required for this exchange.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #36 of 45
I imagine that many people have heard these by now. I can attest to the fact that they are off the chain.
As everyone knows I do not comment on actual sound characteristics. However, I shall state that these ae most likely the best closed back Headphones made to date. Perhaps open to ones discern the best headphones to date period.

They are indeed expensive. As one can imagine, moreso than recognized.
At a minimum requiring a GS-X. Pllus a great setup downstream. One might as well elect to add something to the effect of a Kimber/Axios Solid Gold custom cable. Effectively costing many times the perceived 9 Grand of the cans themselves.

Moreover, an optimum front end would be something to the effect of a Digital Director, Liquid Glass and Great lossless music server. Or Redbook source, .What have you. I m in fact running the former 3. With a 432 Evo.
many have nitpicked over the Maki-E. Which in my opinion is neither here nor there. You listen to these. Namiki Emporer havie in fact been known to have less, and of lesser quality.

Notwithstanding, first and foremost is the sound. An understated and simultaneously overwhelming sublime.

As many here have also taken note I routinely do not comment on gear of this caliber until it is very well broken in.
Hence my being so late to the game as to comment on these.

Godspeed,

M_M

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 45
I imagine that many people have heard these by now. I can attest to the fact that they are off the chain.
As everyone knows I do not comment on actual sound characteristics. However, I shall state that these ae most likely the best closed back Headphones made to date. Perhaps open to ones discern the best headphones to date period.

M_M
So you're saying they sound better than the Sony MDR-R10?

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #38 of 45
So you're saying they sound better than the Sony MDR-R10?
MDR-R10 = diffuse field neutral, almost no bass, at least currently after cleaning and we have no way of knowing how the original foams worked as we can only replace them with not-original ones.
W2022 = refined bassy, warm but not v-shaped, a completely different animal.
Both are great for different things. Nothing, not even reality sounds as beautiful as R10 with orchestral music.
Then W2022 are loads of fun and very satisfying while straying from v-shape simplicity and retaining refinement.

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #39 of 45
I did not see this. Not even close to the same Animal.

Might as well just compare the R10 to the 010 again or something.

If you want Sony get a CD3000. At least they might still work.

I am not sure that anyone has a truly "working" R10 anymore. Mine certainly have seen way better days.

As Piotr stated, the R10 ruled for Classical. If they no longer work what would be the point at this juncture.

Notwithstanding. I maintain that for Pop and light rock these may be the best headphones to date. This, still open to many an argument however.

I will say one thing in closing. Material items are priced accordingly. These can and have Commanded the $9000.00 . I would not be so quick to refute their price tag Personally.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #40 of 45
I did not see this. Not even close to the same Animal.

Might as well just compare the R10 to the 010 again or something.

If you want Sony get a CD3000. At least they might still work.

I am not sure that anyone has a truly "working" R10 anymore. Mine certainly have seen way better days.

As Piotr stated, the R10 ruled for Classical. If they no longer work what would be the point at this juncture.

Notwithstanding. I maintain that for Pop and light rock these may be the best headphones to date. This, still open to many an argument however.

I will say one thing in closing. Material items are priced accordingly. These can and have Commanded the $9000.00 . I would not be so quick to refute their price tag Personally.
Yes most R10 if not all will require some work, especially the foam surround that would have rotted away already. bwb2000 supply the foam or restore the R10 back to it former glory.

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #41 of 45
I am aware of this. Unfortunately it is not the same as Sony's foam. They sound a bit off. I had to have the spider glued to the Diaphragm in the right. They are really just mediocre already. Headphones don't last this long. None. They are Mechanical.

That HIFI Man R10 is interesting but not remotely the same is my take.

I am not sure if there is still a Patent. Must be. Some Company would be making them for sure.

For stuff such as Neil Diamond, Paul Simon the W2022 might very well be the best I have heard yet.

On the other hand Yesterday was my 82nd Birthday. My ears and everything else are not what it used to be. I still think they are in the Surreal Department. Kind of like the headphone equivalent of our Wilson Wamm Chronosonic here. That is on the Magnitude of unreal. For obvious reasons the W2022 is much more Practical to most.

They are a big deal with gear though. It is a little Quarter Million dollars headphone rig at this point. I highly suggest not to get them unless something like a Dave and Linea amp is in the works.

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #42 of 45
Lots of people pay a whole lot of money for something that many consider 'snake oil'.

In this case, you pay a lot for the maki-e (Japanese lacquer) technique that is used. This is a technique that is used to apply art to any things. Personally, I know it from fountain pens.

Here's a great video that shows more about maki-e, and how it is applied on fountain pens:

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #44 of 45
There is no comparison to the HD800. In a completely different league. Well, TBH they just sound so different than those. However if you like HD800 bass these have more, go lower, tighter and faster. Maybe you could compare just the bass but the W2022 are much better.

I have come to the belief of these being better than all of my Namiki Emperor as well. I can't listen to pens :)

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 45
There is no comparison to the HD800. In a completely different league. Well, TBH they just sound so different than those. However if you like HD800 bass these have more, go lower, tighter and faster. Maybe you could compare just the bass but the W2022 are much better.

I have come to the belief of these being better than all of my Namiki Emperor as well. I can't listen to pens :)
So, did you really do A-B test with HD800S. Please, pay attention: S. Twice, in you reply you mention HD800 without S, so I think you rushed replying and you replied quoting the wrong set. Second, HD800s, so far, stands the time and competition - I would value a bit more details on technicalities and sound signature vs comparison with pens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back