The 80s Appreciation Thread!
Jun 9, 2005 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Usagi

1000+ Head-Fier
It's around 3 O'clock in the morning and I'm listening to 80s streaming radio. Man, this takes me back to the old days. Hall & Oates, George Michael, To Kool Chris, Cameo, Rick James B#$%@, etc. Now I know there is some headfiers out there that love the 80s music. Don't be ashamed. Now I know some or most of you out there might flame this thread but before you do make sure you are old enough to remember the 80s.

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 24
There are 2710 songs in my iPod's '80s playlist, so I think I can say I like the decade.
eggosmile.gif

I like everything from New Wave to Hard Rock. From Devo to Falco to the Psychedelic Furs. Anyone in their late 30s/early 40s who doesn't like 80s music must have had a horrible, traumatic childhood.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 24
Two things come to mind here

the Iron Maiden "golden years"
and the
White Zombie "New York Underground Years"

tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
It's around 3 O'clock in the morning and I'm listening to 80s streaming radio. Man, this takes me back to the old days. Hall & Oates, George Michael, To Kool Chris, Cameo, Rick James B#$%@, etc. Now I know there is some headfiers out there that love the 80s music. Don't be ashamed. Now I know some or most of you out there might flame this thread but before you do make sure you are old enough to remember the 80s.

Every decade produce both great and not-so-great music. For me, the 80s certainly produced more good music than subsequent decades. I suppose I am biased since I grew in that era.

Hall and Oates were/are cool....check out their A&E concert on DVD, these guys rock. Back then, pop music was very diverse and we can hear different styles on the radio.....from Van Halen to Kool & The Gang, from Dolly Pardon to U2. Even some of the bubble gum acts were good.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Anyone in their late 30s/early 40s who doesn't like 80s music must have had a horrible, traumatic childhood.
orphsmile.gif

Brings Suzanne Vega's "Luka" to mind
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

My name is Luka/I live on the second floor....

Still have that cassette single somewhere in the house.
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 24
We just did the 80s. (Maybe appreciation wasn't how the thread started, but that's pretty much how it ended up.)

80s.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 24
I am favorably biased towards 80s music because I was born in the late 70s. This was my first exposure to music so when I hear it I take a mental journey back to when everything was innocent, new, and stimulating.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
We just did the 80s. (Maybe appreciation wasn't how the thread started, but that's pretty much how it ended up.)

80s.

Since there is so much appreciation for the 80s around here we needed two appreciation threads. This will bring balance to the headfi order.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
Echo and the Bunnymen

Julian Cope

ahh... Liverpool in the early eighties. add Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark to that list.
biggrin.gif

i have not touched The Teardrop Explodes and/or Julian Cope for years. thanks for reminding me. Copey was a bonkers artist wasn't he? "namdam am i? i'm a madman!" i think i'll listen to "Reward" and "Reynard the Fox" later.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 24
Like Usagi, I was also born in the 70s and the 80s was when my obssession with music was born and formed being exposed to really great music and disposable cheesy stuff as well. I was a big new wave fan back then but it's funny how bands and different genres that I could and would not listen to back then have strangely found their way into my CD collection (namely various metal bands and pop-rock artists) over the years. Any one else share the same experience?

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by burndtjamb
Like Usagi, I was also born in the 70s and the 80s was when my obssession with music was born and formed being exposed to really great music and disposable cheesy stuff as well. I was a big new wave fan back then but it's funny how bands and different genres that I could and would not listen to back then have strangely found their way into my CD collection (namely various metal bands and pop-rock artists) over the years. Any one else share the same experience?

I am almost always like that....getting into the action towards the tail end of the wave. I never listened to Van Halen or Dire Straits, to name just 2 popular acts of the 80s, when they were at the top of the charts. I think with age, and some wisdom, I have grown to appreciate their unique greatness. Same can be say of many other acts of the 80s....and I also work backwards on some of these artists to try out their music from the 70s (and earlier).

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 24
I know that the Talking Heads STARTED in the seventies, but I think they were at their height in the 80's if that counts for anything
tongue.gif

That said, I'm not a particularly HUGE fan of the eighties, but I will not deny the fact that there was some pretty fantastic music during that time. I especially appreciate the comeback of Aerosmith during that time period
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
ahh... Liverpool in the early eighties. add Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark to that list.

I felt a need to confront my fear of the synthesizer this last weekend, and I picked up the Organisation CD.

On a different note, it's been Motley Crue and Meat Puppets for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back