The $150-200 IEMs thread
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch had a half price sale recently on their site.

Yeah, I am well aware of that. That's when I got mine @ $175. Never heard of 'em for $150 though.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #47 of 54
I too am looking for a recommendation and have narrowed my search to 3 potential products: Sony Mdr-Ex700Lp, Klipsh X10, and Sleek Audio SA6. I am leaning toward the Sony, but the X10 sounds tempting, and I haven't completely ruled out the SA6 (although I think the other 2 fit my taste better, see below). I am using some Amazon gift certificates, so that is where I will need to buy from.

I listen to trance/electronic/house (Armin Van Burren, John Oakenfold, etc.), Pink Floyd, Sarah McLachlan, Sarah Brightman, some metal, most pop (love *****cat Dolls - When I Grow Up), classic rock, every once in a while classical, and movies when I travel (with a JVC SU-DS1). My primary player is a Sansa Fuse.

I currently own V-MODA Bass Freq, Philips SHE9500, and Jbuds J2 (thanks to the 2-for-1).
V-MODA Bass Freq - I like these for trance/electronic/house, but they don't sound natural to me for other music.
Philips SHE9500 - Have the best balance, have similar bass extension to the V-MODA, and in my opinion are the best for everything other than trance/electronic/house (although they work for me for that). They lack soundstage (worst of the bunch) and don't have great detail.
Jbuds J2 - the mid is way to forward for me (burned them in for about 20 hours so far). They also lack the bass extension of the others (I have tried all the supplied tips and the Vibe tips, which fit perfectly in my ears). Highs seem shrill, yet recessed. They sound much much better EQed to Rock with a Sansa Clip, but still not to my liking compared with the SHE9500 with no EQ. I am waiting for my second set to see if they sound the same (very pronounced mids, lack of bass extension).

I am looking for strong, extended bass (not overpowering like the V-MODA, but hit with electronic music), great mids and highs, and great soundstage that will be my primary use headphone (except for working out).

Thank you to everybody that participates in this forum to help people like me, I have narrowed my selection down greatly (and doubled my price range)! Any suggestions/recommendations (especially about the Sony) would be appreciated.
bigsmile_face.gif

Edit: does the Sony EX700 have too much sibilance? Would the SA6 be too light in the bass?

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #48 of 54
I think you'd like the X10 for what you like to listen to.

It has a slightly recessed midrange, but it's not a deal breaker. The sound is very warm, full, and expansive. Very clean at the same time. The bass is very good, but isn't an encroacher.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #49 of 54
Taikero, I notice you have the M5 and the X10, and was wondering if you thought the M5 would be a good choice for my music. I ruled it out from reading on these forums, but since you have 2, was curious to see what you thought. I was thinking of getting them in 6 months or so (after I get one of the others first).

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taikero, I notice you have the M5 and the X10, and was wondering if you thought the M5 would be a good choice for my music. I ruled it out from reading on these forums, but since you have 2, was curious to see what you thought. I was thinking of getting them in 6 months or so (after I get one of the others first).

For the music you listen to, the X10 will probably serve you better. I really, really like the Atrio M5, and it does well across a wide range of music, but for the genres you listen to (some bass, but still focusing on instruments and detail), especially trance, the X10 is just a better, more pleasing sound in my opinion. The M5 may have tighter, better bass, but the X10 makes the entire spectrum of music feel so...well, it's like wrapping a blanket fresh out of the dryer around you (warm, cozy, and you're sad when it's not there anymore). I can't really explain it other than that. It just makes music sound good.

The M5 is definitely a recommended purchase at some point. Having the X10 and M5 allows you to experience virtually every type of music in happiness. Perhaps you could swing the ER4P for those times you really want classical to sound amazing, but the X10 is no slouch when it comes to classical, so it's no big deal.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the music you listen to, the X10 will probably serve you better. I really, really like the Atrio M5, and it does well across a wide range of music, but for the genres you listen to (some bass, but still focusing on instruments and detail), especially trance, the X10 is just a better, more pleasing sound in my opinion. The M5 may have tighter, better bass, but the X10 makes the entire spectrum of music feel so...well, it's like wrapping a blanket fresh out of the dryer around you (warm, cozy, and you're sad when it's not there anymore). I can't really explain it other than that. It just makes music sound good.

The M5 is definitely a recommended purchase at some point. Having the X10 and M5 allows you to experience virtually every type of music in happiness. Perhaps you could swing the ER4P for those times you really want classical to sound amazing, but the X10 is no slouch when it comes to classical, so it's no big deal.

Thanks for the [quick] response, I haven't read enough about the EX700 to overcome the burn in and sibilance, and I was a little concerned about not enough bass on the SA6. Now I will just wait for the price on the X10 to fluctuate down a little on Amazon, I have seen it as low as $180 and as high as $200 this past week, it is at $190 now.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #52 of 54
Thanks for reviving this thread. It seems that a lot of people are looking for in-ear phones in the $150-200 range.

I guess it would be a good idea to rename the thread "the ultimate $150-200 IEM thread", "which IEM in the $150-200 range?" or even "What can I buy with $150-200 (apart from all Dire Straits)". Any other suggestions?

I could also edit the initial post with a summary of the pro/cons of each IEM within this category. The issue is that I have only been interested in the X10 vs SA6 constest and would need help with any other IEM.

Let me know if that sounds good.

Best

S.

NB: My SA6 are still in a drawer. They must have changed X-mas date this year, haven't they?

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for reviving this thread. It seems that a lot of people are looking for in-ear phones in the $150-200 range.

I guess it would be a good idea to rename the thread "the ultimate $150-200 IEM thread", "which IEM in the $150-200 range?" or even "What can I buy with $150-200 (apart from all Dire Straits)". Any other suggestions?

I could also edit the initial post with a summary of the pro/cons of each IEM within this category. The issue is that I have only been interested in the X10 vs SA6 constest and would need help with any other IEM.

Let me know if that sounds good.

Best

S.

NB: My SA6 are still in a drawer. They must have changed X-mas date this year, haven't they?

I started looking in the $50-$100 range and didn't like what I was reading, so here I am, in the $150-$200 range. Changing the title could get more response (but you do have your big 3 in the title).

Some questions I have that are unresolved are:
- Is there a frequency response chart for the X10 (how recessed are the mids)?
Sony EX700 frequency response chart is here
SA6 frequency response chart is here

- How do the sound stages compare? I read the EX700 has the best, how far off is the X10.

- How does the bass compare for the X10 vs. the EX700?

- How detailed is the X10 comparatively?

- And you were considering the Super.fi 5, what are your thoughts on it?

I am 90% sure I am going with the X10, and it is $180.58 today on Amazon with free shipping and no tax...

I was thinking I should buy the X10 and EX700 and return the one I think sounds worse, but I hate doing things like that. Anybody know of a place I can audition both in Orange County, CA?

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you were considering the Super.fi 5, what are your thoughts on it?

Nearly everyone on this thread actually explained that the X10 and SA6 were superior to the Super Fi Pro 5 both in terms of comfort than sound quality. I liked the idea of getting a dual driver earphone and the detachable cable but only left the first for the SA6 (which also has detachable cables, a big big plus for me) to the benefit of SQ (which I could however not verify myself).

Quote:

I was thinking I should buy the X10 and EX700 and return the one I think sounds worse, but I hate doing things like that.

I could not either but do understand those who do if they look for $200+ earphones that cannot even be tried on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back