that rarest of beasts-the perfect debut LP
Jun 21, 2002 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all;

For my bithday, some friends bought me theme gifts-their idea of the perfect debut album. Had to agree with these three; Little Feat, Moby Grape and, what I consider the best debut, and one of the best LPs ever, Roxy Music's first LP (especially that first UK pressing-boy does it sound good.).

Curious what you folks are gonna get me? Kidding-but I'm curious what some of you would consider as a perfect debut LP-not just great, but perfect.

have agood weekend everyone.

Matthew

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 62
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King. nothing short of perfect, and besides that, you might even consider it the first prog album ever. hows that for a debut ey?

Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear is flawless as well, and has enough high points to put it somewhere between Great and Perfect.

Jun 21, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 62
Pink Floyd-THE WALL... "prog." enough to be interesting for most, not "too prog." to be frightening to some, "commercial" enough to be attractive to many and "conceptual" enough to be remembered...all in all a "milestone" well-worthy as a debut album in any music library.

Jun 22, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
eh, the Wall is hardly a debut, is it?

I guess I may have missunderstood the thread-I thought the debut (FIRST) CD to buy as a present to a friend ...of course not the first CD/LP of the band
confused.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 62
debut? hmmmmm
Van Halen
The Cars
Rush
Chicago Transit Authority aka Chicago
Steely Dan "Can't Buy a Thrill"
I could probably come up with more if I checked out my cds.
The artists albums are self titled unless indicated and they all defined the sound of that particular band.
md

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 62
For some more recent stuff:

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
Weezer - Weezer (Blue)

But "perfect" is really just another opinion though, eh? I would define it as an album that I can put on and enjoy the whole thing w/o skipping tracks.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath. First heavy metal album EVER. Not Zeppelin. Not Hendrix. Sabbath were the first. Proven fact. Ask any music historian.

RIGHT!!!!Absolutely Right! I second you whole heartily...absolute must in any Heavy Meatal Head's library...and a classic-after more than 30 years still relevant...and, by the way, there is a tribute album from '94 which, unlike many other tribute albums, realy sounds good, named "NATIVITY IN BLACK"- well worth listening.(the second- "Nativity in Black II"- Is not so good at all...)
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 62
All your choices are fine....

...but first, "Are You Experienced?"

C'mon people. Jimi's first is THE debut of all-time!

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back