Thanksgiving 2008 thread
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
It's not too early to start a Thanksgiving thread, is it?

Is anyone traveling this year? Anyone hosting dinner? Anyone want to talk about their traditions or the best way to cook a turkey?

This year, I'll be going again to my cousin's house in Culver City, CA. He's hosted for years and it's always great. We end up with 40-50 people each year; the extended family and various co-workers and friends come along. This year will kick off around 4:30 and it shouldn't wrap up before 1AM.

Always one of my favorite holidays - this is the biggest gathering of friends and family each year.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 21
This year I'll be heading to my sister inlaw's home for Thanksgiving dinner. The rest of my family along with my nieces and nephews will be there. For some of them, this will be the only time of the year where we will be able to see each other.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 21
A family tourney style hold'em poker game among the guys is tradition for us as well. Buy-in is only $5, so it's mostly for fun.

The turkey is always cold and sub-par though. One time they tried to deep fry it...

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 21
I always cook the turkey. I do a cajun smoked turkey in the BBQ smoker with apple wood chips and charcoal. It's quite stunning and people in the family are always amazed.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 21
this year sucks..no deal... oh well..

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 21
As a holiday, it should be a great day, always is.

As a birthday (yes mine falls on the same day this year, hasn't happened since I was 11 or 12), it will be awful. Seriously, no one but your parents remembers that you're getting a year older when they have so much good food sitting in front of them, it's just not natural :p.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 21
My first US Thanksgiving was in the fall of 1983. My research methods prof invited me over for dinner as he knew that I was rather new to the country (I am a Canuck). The most astonishing thing about the meal (traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings) was that his 4 kids put mustard on turkey (the parents were anti-ketchup). I had a terrific time.

My favourite Thanksgiving was in Paris, France in 1987. I was one of the principle cooks and it turned into an apple pie baking contest. The Canuck vs. the Swede. The Swede's apple pie was light, delicate, exquisite. Mine was American truck stop heart-attack lard crust 7 pound apple pie. I think my pie was the winner, but I'm not sure as the judges ate a piece of each and then promptly passed out from over eating. As the Swede and I were also judges, we ate a piece of each and also collapsed on the floor in a coma from too much food.

In 1989, and back in Indiana, I was invited to about 4 Thanksgiving dinners (luckily on different days). Had corn pudding for the first time. Had oyster stuffing for the first time. Had sweet potato pie for the first time. Wow.

This year's Thanksgiving, I'll be going to Pittsburgh to celebrate with my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law (we go every year since I was married in 1995). We'll pack up the mini-van and spend the day. There'll be lots of kids, great food, football on the big screen tv, Canadian beer. And my wife will be the designated driver. Life is good.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 21
This year for the first time we are all going to my brother's. My sister-in-law seems a little nervous about cooking the turkey. Everyone else usually brings a dish to lighten the load of the host. My brother-in-law will invariable bring his talk of politics.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not too early to start a Thanksgiving thread, is it?

Is anyone traveling this year? Anyone hosting dinner? Anyone want to talk about their traditions or the best way to cook a turkey?

This year, I'll be going again to my cousin's house in Culver City, CA. He's hosted for years and it's always great. We end up with 40-50 people each year; the extended family and various co-workers and friends come along. This year will kick off around 4:30 and it shouldn't wrap up before 1AM.

Always one of my favorite holidays - this is the biggest gathering of friends and family each year.

...what time can you pick me up at the airport LOL!!!

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 21
This year is the first year that dinner will be at my house. My grandmom normally cooks but she got surgery this year so we are cooking. Normally we only have 8 people or so but have food for about 20!

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 21
My wife Cecilia, my sister Leslie who is flying in from West Palm Beach this evening are going to our friends home in NJ, Ane and Victor. They throw Thanksgiving Dinner for a big group every year and for the last eight years that is the place we go to be with Ane, Victor and their five children.

We all want to wish all of you A Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving...

Steven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back