TH-X00 Upgrade
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

227qed

500+ Head-Fier
My TH-X00 broke apart. I epoxied it back together, but I’m back on the hunt for a potential successor and need help.

Disclaimer: I’m a full blown basshead and cannot accept spending big bucks on a headphone that doesn’t match or exceed the bass delivery of the TH-X00. I do have a strong preference for subbass rumble over midbass punch though, so as long as the subbass is good, I’m good.

Done a lot of armchair research, but haven’t found anything online to definitively say, “yes, without a doubt, _______ will slam just as hard as the X00, but with better technical and musical abilities, and better build quality and comfort”. With a budget of $1500 or less, I’m not sure this headphone exists. But what would you do, I’m open to buying used. Main contenders include:

Fostex TH-900 or TH-909
Klipsch HP-3
Audeze LCD-X
ZMF Eikon or Auteur
Other suggestions?

I’ll be using a Schiit Loki and have an Emotiva A-100 to bring the power, and won’t mind swapping pads for the best sub bass, so it’ll be all about what the “cans can do”, more so than what they do stock.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Your best bet for basshead headphone is the TH-900. Its bassier than the 900 and has a signature fitting what you want! 909 is not an open version of the 900. Sound sigs are different and the mids seem bloated with bass bleed.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 7
The LCD-X with EQ will floor you.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the TH900 mk2, Z1R. Have a love-hate relationship with both.

Our sonic preferences seem similar. Recently, after a lot of research I purchased the Ultrasone signature DJ. Do yourself a favor and give the DJ or dxp a listen. I've never been this satisfied with a headphone in a long time and the DJ gets a lot of head time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back