TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Apr 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #106 of 216
Ok you got me. But thanks fully I don't have tinnitus. Anyways I tried position 2 of dampers, and with my mods it seemed to have tamed high just a tad bit more. But still retain nice low end.

So as of right now my best results have been from cup damping/Lawton mod, damping disk position 2, and Lawton pads even though I'm still swapping and each sound good. Remember I'm on a th600

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #107 of 216
Ok you got me. But thanks fully I don't have tinnitus. Anyways I tried position 2 of dampers, and with my mods it seemed to have tamed high just a tad bit more. But still retain nice low end.

So as of right now my best results have been from cup damping/Lawton mod, damping disk position 2, and Lawton pads even though I'm still swapping and each sound good. Remember I'm on a th600

That is awesome :D glad you are enjoying it the way it should be

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #108 of 216
That is awesome :D glad you are enjoying it the way it should be

Definitely. For all th600 users out there. These mods work. Period. Still a bit more tuning to go but it would be minimal compared to what has been achieved now. Last thing to do is pad trimming which I can't do to the lawton, but I am doing to my stocks. Also going to experiment putting the white baffling back In. Just for ****s and giggles.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #109 of 216
Definitely. For all th600 users out there. These mods work. Period. Still a bit more tuning to go but it would be minimal compared to what has been achieved now. Last thing to do is pad trimming which I can't do to the lawton, but I am doing to my stocks. Also going to experiment putting the white baffling back In. Just for ****s and giggles.

Please report back :) as it will help others out as well

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #111 of 216
No, I am not trimming (yet) the Brainwavz HM5 pads. I know what difference it brings, I measured that yesterday :).
So here is the comparison between my carbon foam Fostex pads, EZ trimmed, the stock Brainwavz MH5 FLAT model (30 mm thick), and the Stax 007 when applied on the TH900 (with my felt damper, and with the EZ cup mods).

As you can see, the Brainwavz is similar to the Stax in sound quality.
Trimming around the holes will further increase the mids and a bit less the bass, but not enough to challenge the original Fostex pads with the carbon foam filling.

What is interesting is the Stax pads don't have the 500 Hz dip! Instead I'd need to tame the 1K and 3-6K peaks. Overall looks like a promising direction for the TH900 mods!

But no, I am not putting more time into the TH900 + Brainwavz pads at the moment. Perhaps will reconsider when the Fostex pads will arrive.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #113 of 216
Ok so quick update.

Stock White baffling added to my current combo (Lawton level 1, and dampening disk to position 2) added an overall decrease in everything. Kind of like EQ drop across the board. A slight muffling if you will. Some highs stayed nice and present. It was strange.

It sounded more closed, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Makes sense considering that it baffles some air movement. Maybe it made things tighter...??? IDK. I wouldn't say tighter, but just different and not good to my ears. I took it back out.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #114 of 216
Ok so quick update.

Stock White baffling added to my current combo (Lawton level 1, and dampening disk to position 2) added an overall decrease in everything. Kind of like EQ drop across the board. A slight muffling if you will. Some highs stayed nice and present. It was strange.

It sounded more closed, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Makes sense considering that it baffles some air movement. Maybe it made things tighter...??? IDK. I wouldn't say tighter, but just different and not good to my ears. I took it back out.

Yeah, more congested :D. Now, can you imagine stock th900 ? Lol, however upper mid and trebles will get smoother. I don't like it though, and I prefer them out of the chamber instead.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #115 of 216
Ok so quick update.

Sounds like too much damping in the cups. The lining (paper tape) mainly helps damping the treble and slightly the mids. The polyfill gets rid of a strong, high and sustained 3 kHz ridge in the CSD (cumulative spectral decay plot), which gives a livelier sound perception, except when it's ringing with the music (like with brighter piano recordings). This is one area where my ears have tricked me during the mods, as I also preferred the livelier and apparently more spacious sound of the ringing cups when playing other instruments, and needed measurements to see clearly what is happening. 

So my advice to everyone doing the mods is to keep the original white polyfill, eventually at 3/4 thickness, but 1/2 thickness was already not enough.

The Lawton basic mod contains a paper disk, and a foam disk, plus the side dampers. Together they replace the stock white filling and sound a bit more spacious. When you remove 1/4 of the white polyfill then it sounds almost exactly like the basic Lawton mod, except the basic Lawton mod also helps taming the treble.

My mods include a 2-3 mm thick and about 73 mm diameter wool felt disk in the cup, that sounds better than either of the above, but wool felt is not consistent, so I don't advise it, you need to try a lot of makes and diameters until finding the optimum, which does not ring and doesn't sound muffled or overdamped.

IMHO the EZ paper tape cup mods are the best ones so far to tame the treble, and they are the cheapest as well -- but based on my measurements the 3/4 amount of polyfill is still needed. Make sure the paper coating is not too thick, especially on the contact surface with the driver frame, where it should not be more than one layers thick. I noticed the best is if they have some ridges on the inner surface of the cups, i.e. it's not a neat flat job. The EZ cup mods are not so easy after all than the rest, so I'd put them among the more advanced mods, especially when you need to unmount the cups. Take a lot of care and very light hands with that.

If unsure, leave the cups alone and use the other EZ mods.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #116 of 216
Another update... Another couple of hours listening... I like the way the lows and miss have shaped out. Some songs the treble is just right, others its a bit shrilly. Need to figure out exactly at what frequency. Not sure if I'm listening to them too loud. Im using a Schitt Modi 2 Uber, and Magni 2 Uber. Ill list some tracks and track time where I think I need help.

Need to find a way to clear up the treble a bit. Not sure if its the lawton pads doing it? Since it increased space between the driver and my ears. Again its just some songs and all of them are a minimum 320 file. Other songs it sounds freaking perfect.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #117 of 216
Do you find the treble shrilly? Then I don't understand what do you mean be clearing up the treble a bit (more).

What is your exact configuration compared with stock TH900?

The Lawton pads are higher, but also have larger internal diameter, but in principle you'd lose on the midrange, making the treble relatively more pronounced. If you pair with slightly bright ancillary equipment, you get shrill. The Lawton pads are designed to work with the full Lawton mods, do you have that?

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #118 of 216
  Do you find the treble shrilly? Then I don't understand what do you mean be clearing up the treble a bit (more).

What is your exact configuration compared with stock TH900?

The Lawton pads are higher, but also have larger internal diameter, but in principle you'd lose on the midrange, making the treble relatively more pronounced. If you pair with slightly bright ancillary equipment, you get shrill. The Lawton pads are designed to work with the full Lawton mods, do you have that?

He has a TH 600, not a TH 900.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #119 of 216
  No, I am not trimming (yet) the Brainwavz HM5 pads. 
(...)
As you can see, the Brainwavz is similar to the Stax in sound quality.

I have finally trimmed the pads (allowing enough margin to be usable on the 007), but it didn't change my impressions on the flat pads. However, based on measurements with the hybrid angled pads on a Stax 007 SZ3 on a here unmentionable and unlinkable forum, the angled pads might be better, at least on Stax. I am torn between ordering the leather or the hybrid version... maybe the hybrid since it has inner small holes on the pad, always wanted to try those. By the time they get here, I will also have the Fostex replacement pads and some new exciting stuff, and the fun can begin. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back