TF10, SE530 or UM2?
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

cwis

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have got my UM2 stolen this week-end, so I am looking for a new pair of IEM.

I have read pretty much about the TF10, SE530 and UM2 but unfortunately I still can't decide between the three.

I understand that:
- the UM2 is known to have more punch in the basses, but a less clear mid- and hi- range;
- the TF10 is known to produce a clear sound that might not be suited to badly encoded tracks (because it will emphasize encoding artifacts);
- the SE530 is known to be pretty much the same than the UM2.

I have never used one TF10 or SE530 before, but I have used UM2 for several years now. I listen to a wide range of music styles, from opera to alternative to hip-hop to metal, so I am looking for an IEM that is quite versatile, that emphasizes the basses but that does not mask the mid-range and the trebles.

All in all, I think that switching to the SE530 will not give me any benefits over the UM2; given that those are cheaper, it might not be a good option. However, I can't really tell if switching to the TF10 will be of some advantage to me. (Except for the fact that I own an iPhone and that the ability to phone while keeping its earphones is something nice.)

Do any of you have experienced a switch from UM2 to TF10 or SE530? What do you think about that? I have read severy posts from some that said that they lacked the specific bass response from the UM2 and that they switched back, is that your case?

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 22
I am going to suggest the tf10's you may have wanted to make a poll for this type of thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 22
Thank you for your feedback.
All in all, is there really a difference regarding the basses between UM2 and TF10? I wonder, because, if there is less bass but the overall sound is better, then I am not a bassfan and I will chose the TF10. However, being used to the UM2s, I am afraid that the switch might not be an easy thing to do.

PS: you are right about the poll. Alas, it seems that I cannot add one after the post has been made. Could some moderator add the poll options?

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 22
i've owned the um2s at the same time as e500s and currently have both e500s and triple.fi 10 pros. the latter 2 certainly outclass the um2s. if you really like westones and want a better iem wait for the westone 3s which are supposedly getting very near to production (maybe a few weeks away?). based on the prototypes i heard they are well beyond the um2s and competitive with the shures and triple.fis. assuming that you can get a reasonable fit with any of them, they'll all sound excellent. personally i think i'm a little more partial to the shures than the triple.fis but they're both really nice. i have comply tips for the triple.fis, which may make a westone fan feel right at home
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 22
I say Sleek SA6, cheapest of all IIRC, and the sound is amazing. Nice clean punchy bass and excellent clarity. When I bought them, I was looking at UM2 and TF10's, but decided on the SA6's 'cause they were cheaper and getting highly praised as being a great rival with all your looking at. I really enjoy them.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 22
i have both, and if i had to choose either or i'd take the se530's. they make rock sound alive with the distortion you can almost feel. it emphasizes the sounds of electronic music perfectly, as well as hip hop

yes, the tf10 are more analytical headphones. but what do you want in terms of a listening experience?

IMO the se530's emphasize what the recording industry wants you to hear. they don't have rolled off highs, they're just not as accented as with the TF10's.

there's songs where the tf10's treble frequencies appear too acerbic. to me, this is an indication that it needs to be toned down a bit.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 22
well actually i have the shure 530 and really like them.
Yesterday i added a govipe petite and the sound improved a lot, highs came out and the soundstage is so big now
smily_headphones1.gif

I also bought a pair of TF10 pro that must arrive tomorrow or something.

I'll let you know.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 22
if the se530 is cheaper than the um2 then thats a good thing, maybe the um2 are a little overpriced because imo the se530 is the better phones, the fit is just as good as the um2 and the sound is on par with um2 with better mids and tighter bass (tighter dont mean more)

the triple fi again i think is just another step over the um2, the only thing letting the triple fi down is the design and fit, its a bit of an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back