TF10 no basses? Lol
Nov 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

energie

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so i just received my brand new UE TF10.
Until today i was using Shure 530 since i'm a half way to be a bass head and reading around Shures have more basses then the TF10.

Well jack in, amp on, let's play some noob R&B song.

LOl? What damn good basses! Way better then the Shures!

My first impressions are:

Shure 530: recessed highs, less detailed on the highs, best vocals, good
basses.

Ue TF10: damn good basses, damn detailed highs, awesome global definition.
Vocals are less pronounced then the Shures.

So pleaz, dont make the same error! Go try them by yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to stick with the Triple Fi 10, i prefer them over the Shure.

Shures for sell
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 76
Good man I went the same route as you and dumped my 530's pretty quick afterwords
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by energie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so i just received my brand new UE TF10.
Until today i was using Shure 530 since i'm a half way to be a bass head and reading around Shures have more basses then the TF10.

Well jack in, amp on, let's play some noob R&B song.

LOl? What damn good basses! Way better then the Shures!

My first impressions are:

Shure 530: recessed highs, less detailed on the highs, best vocals, good
basses.

Ue TF10: damn good basses, damn detailed highs, awesome global definition.
Vocals are less pronounced then the Shures.

So pleaz, dont make the same error! Go try them by yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to stick with the Triple Fi 10, i prefer them over the Shure.

Shures for sell
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 76
Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

check that out, now i dont usually take graphs as reality, but headroom does use sophisticated and expensive equipment for thier measurements and going by what they measured yes the triple fi has almost the same volume of midbass (80-500hz). this would make some believe the triple fi are as bassy as the shures, but its a common mistake, most hip hop, r'n'b and rap is littered with mid bass. i know because these genres along with reggae are my fav.

where the shures prove more success in the bass is 80hz and below, or in other words...sub bass, now sure the triple fi does do sub bass but the shures sub bass is louder...hence its stronger and more prononced.

now not alot of music uses true low bass 30hz and below so you may never notice how much louder the shures sub bass is compared with the triple fi. but i assure you that ive tested both phones with my max power low frequency test CD and the bass has better response below 30hz, in fact the shures tend to rattle a little below 30hz wheras the triple fi tends to fall away...oh yeh its called roll off, much like the shures high roll off.

so i have nothing against the triple fi, let me just say that, but i do find the graph pretty accurate and true, the shures have better bass response, dont be fooled by mid bass which they both respond similar to.

oh and if you know a song that has plenty of 20hz frequencies in let me know, and have a listen to both, you will see what has the best sub bass response

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who the heck claims that the SE530 has more bass than the TF10? The SE530 while not lacking in bass doesn't have that much bass.

let me tell you an interesting story, but a quick one as ive said this before...

the triple fi does not have dedicated bass drivers like the shures. read UE's site very carefully and you will learn that the crossover they use leads the midrange through the bass drivers also, so this is why they are not dedicated. so this is why the midrange is laid back with triple fi because if it wasnt laid back then the bass would hurt the midrange. the tweeter however is dedicated unlike the shures...the shures crossover leads the mids and highs to one tweeter and has the bass going to two dedicated bass drivers, but this is why the highs are laid back because the tweeter is dealing with the midrange also.

this is why the shures are capable of louder bass and the triple fi is capable of louder highs. this explains why one sounds one way and the other the other way.

in simpler terms...much like the graph i showed above, it is common sence that tells us the shures has louder bass because that is the way the crossovers are constructed.
ksc75smile.gif
so yeh, i claim the se530 has more bass because its technically set up that way, the triple fi is set up to have dedicated highs and that explains why its got clearer highs

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, instead of louder, imho, it should be "better quality".. the loudness doesnt show it's any better.

no ofcourse not but response is directly linked to loudness, and the volume drops on the triple fi when the bass gets low, this is called roll-off.

and it doesnt matter how you dress it up, the facts are the se530 responds to lower frequencies and makes them audible for longer. how can the bass be better on the triple fi when it just does not respond to the lower frequencies, and i will say this also, bass is only good if you can feel it, audible bass is called boom, when you get below say 30 hz theres a real distinction between the shures and triple fi because the shures bring presence into the equation, sometimes in a bad way as the housings tend to vibrate, the point is they do this because the bass is stronger and the drivers are clearly tuned to respond lower.

if you look at the OP and read downwards everyone is claiming the triple fi gives more bass, but it doesnt, its hard to believe that everyone has A-B'd them because its clear with a frequency test the shures respond to lower bass better.

EDIT: can i just say i am not trying to be a clever dick here but i do know a lot about bass and how it works, ive dealt with many many subwoofers and amplifiers and do consider myself a bit of a basshead. and subwoofers are marked primarily on response, a sub that dont hit 20hz is cheap

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 76
Not that I am doubting what you said jinx, since I am no expert when it comes to the science behind the earphones, but this is what it says on UE:

Quote:

Housed within the universal body are three individual speakers and an integrated passive crossover circuit board that directs the low-end frequencies to a dedicated speaker for bass, the mid-range frequencies to a speaker for the vocals and the high frequencies to a speaker dedicated for treble.

That makes it sound like each of the three drivers does its own things.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by LCeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I am doubting what you said jinx, since I am no expert when it comes to the science behind the earphones, but this is what it says on UE:

That makes it sound like each of the three drivers does its own things.

lol
bigsmile_face.gif
im glad you pointed that out, this is another example of UE blagging the customers, if you look at the drawout of the insides of the triple fi 10, you will see the true drivers uses, UE explains it as a 3 way design to reel you in but its a 2 way design, in other words there is no driver dedicated for mids, the mids go through the bass drivers instead

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 76
Based on UE drawing, TF10 can still be a 2 units, 3 receivers, 3 ways IEM . The dual receivers in the low freq. unit can still be split into mid / low section, so TF10 is still a 3 ways design.

A unit can house more than one receiver, and it is the crossover with the number of receiver that determine how many ways the IEM is split, not the number of unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back