TF10 alternatives??
Oct 17, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Stepping away from the Triple.Fi 10 to something else requires you to change the sound signature.  So...

What must you keep for sound characteristics?

What sound characteristics are you willing to let go, change, or possibly improve?

To be perfectly honest I am unsure because I don't really know what I am talking about. What I liked about the TF10s was the fact that the sound was so well balanced; that at top volume, they didn't distort but instead just started 'singing'. I liked the clarity of the sound and way the instruments sounded individual - that I could attend to one instrument and keep my attention on it without it getting lost in a muddy soundscape. These monitors were little gems! Real shame about the cable.
About the build quality....I think that generally they look great and appear to be very well made. The cable, out of the box looks to be of a decent quality. It has just been my experience with first, the Super Fi 5, and then now, with the Triple Fi 10 that the wire around the jack plug seems 'brittle' for want of a better word. I say this because a fault developed where I lost one of the channels in 1 ear and by positioning the cable correctly I got it back again. The following day I had the the entire left ear went, again intermittently and I got it back again by placing the cable in a certain position. Two days later, I had the sound in both ears go, and no amount of fiddling was getting it back. It's as if the cable was disintegrating on the inside because there was no sign of any wear outside...I would add that the headphones are only around 2 months old and they were used every night to listen to music before going to sleep.
When I searched online, others have described the very same issue with relatively new or hardly used TF10s.
Is there a quality issue? I would say there is, but how widespread it is I would not like to say.

What are people's thoughts on the Klipsch x10i? Do they have 3 drivers? They look too small for this to be possible. Are you paying for the innovation rather than the sound they produce? The fact they are small and lightweight is definitely appealing but its the sound quality I am looking for over anything else.

Regards all!

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 28
The Klipsch are not multi-driver. AFAIK, they're single full-range armature drivers. If you want a multi-driver option from Klipsch, then you should consider the Custom 3. The Custom 3 are the only customs worth getting since the lower model, Custom 2, are not "True" dual driver earphones. They have two drivers in the sense, but they don't benefit from a crossover. So basically they both handle the same spectrum but divides the work to lower distortion. The Custom 3s are a bit of a turn off cause they're actually dual driver units plus some sort of hybrid crossover or whatever they call it over there. The Custom 3s have a crossover, so they divide the sound spectrum between them. They're more a competitor to the dual driver models of other companies. At the asking price of 300 though, I would seriously recommend the new Shure SE425 over them. The Shures sound better, have replaceable cables and are a better investment all round. The darned Klipsch earphones have had similar quality issues as Logitech, so I suggest you stay away from them. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 28
I've owned the Westone 3 and the TF 10.  They compare well.  Both Comply's and the shure olives can be used on the Westone 3's.  I liked the shure olives.  Note that in my opinion, build quality on the Westones is suspect.  A very flimsy non replaceable cable that can unravel fairly easily.  That is the main reason I parted with them.  I think I may be in the minority with my build quality opinion though.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 28
hahah 1 at a time:p really set on getting me some Ultrasone Zino's then i'll get some turbines THEN i'll get some custom 3's
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
hahah 1 at a time:p really set on getting me some Ultrasone Zino's then i'll get some turbines THEN i'll get some custom 3's
wink.gif

Why? The Zino sounds nothing like a triple.fi. Sounds nothing like a proper Ultrasone either. It's thin and metallic and has peaks and valleys all over the place. The soundstage is weird, too. S-Logic really needs a circumaural form factor to work right.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #26 of 28
okay well I've never heard them and only read some reviews, but u know what i just bought M50's for 11$ go check my thread and some people got in on it to :p so nehh haha jks, but um I just got the s.f 5 pro's for 85$ shipped seller says they were store demo but they really do look new... the cable doesnt even have like a single scratch on it I used a magnifying glass analysed it from the earphones to the plug...

and so far I'm really enjoying them=)

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 28

thewiggler said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks some nice advice. Looks like its gonna be the Westone 3! Exciting - can't wait to hear how they sound!
I seem to have an issue with the tips of headphones not staying in my ears and I found that the comply tips on the TF10s were a good solution.

Can you use the comply tips on the Westone 3? In fact, is it necessary at all?

Anyone else have the same problem? What solutions did you come up with?

It's quite useful, Many thanks to your description! I understand this part.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #28 of 28

thewiggler said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks some nice advice. Looks like its gonna be the Westone 3! Exciting - can't wait to hear how they sound!
I seem to have an issue with the tips of headphones not staying in my ears and I found that the comply tips on the TF10s were a good solution.

Can you use the comply tips on the Westone 3? In fact, is it necessary at all?

Anyone else have the same problem? What solutions did you come up with?

It's quite useful, Many thanks to your description! I understand this part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back