Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats."
Feb 28, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #676 of 721
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.....it means the differences are there. But I don't like this ABX testing, it was meant to confuse me.

Same 15 secs clip with HR 16/48 and 16/44.1.....I will later experiment on 24/192 vs 16/44.1 and see,

1/ the differences in between these two files are very subtles.....as 10 cents differences in $100 bills....
2/ it doesn't allow me to listen to the way I want, say in a 15 secs track, when I restart A or B it was just a pause....hence it confused me more
3/ X will keep playing without my ability to replay X on the same file....whenever I play X, it will always random A or B......it gets even more confusing

But you want to know what differences that I hear ? Mainly drums beats as these are the easiest out of all subtles details....the Highresolution drums and beats are with a tad more Booms and Rumblings.....like I said 10 cents in 100$....the rest are even harder to tell....so on another hand...

The conclusions
it is almost impossible to tell the differences from high resolution vs CD quality.
The differences are there.....
I rather enjoy high resolution music than Cd quality, why not ? I love music, and I will do what I can to improve it......isn't this one of the reason why I have different earphones, headphones....still buying ? Hell.....IEMS and different cans sound worlds apart.....and it is still fun to swap them out after a few days to listen to biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #677 of 721
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.....it means the differences are there.

The differences might be there, but if only 30% of your guesses were correct, then from that it does not look like you can actually hear them. Choosing randomly you would guess 50% right on average. With 10 trials, a score of 8/10 means there is 5.5% chance that it was only by luck, and 9/10 reduces that to 1.1%. A commonly accepted threshold for "passing" the test is less than 5% chance of random guessing, and that is with a single run of a pre-determined number of trials.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #678 of 721
The differences might be there, but if only 30% of your guesses were correct, then from that it does not look like you can actually hear them. Choosing randomly you would guess 50% right on average. With 10 trials, a score of 8/10 means there is 5.5% chance that it was only by luck, and 9/10 reduces that to 1.1%. A commonly accepted threshold for "passing" the test is less than 5% chance of random guessing, and that is with a single run of a pre-determined number of trials.

:D Bash my result however you want, I expected it to be confusing, just as much as similar perfume smells but different brands, I can confuse you as much. There are better way for me to tell the differences, but I am not gonna argue. This ABX is like a magician, it is trying to confuse me into believing that there are no differences....yeah right.

After all, believe what you want, and I can tell the differences if everything is lay out correctly. But musics is an art, and as long as there is a proven difference, it is priceless. Testing ABX made me realize how real, and how I should be chasing after Highresolution even more :)

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #679 of 721
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.....it means the differences are there. But I don't like this ABX testing, it was meant to confuse me.

I'm not a big fan of ABx testing either, nor do I enjoy going to the dentist, but in both cases it is the only way to get an honest assessment.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #681 of 721
I'm not a big fan of ABx testing either, nor do I enjoy going to the dentist, but in both cases it is the only way to get an honest assessment.

True! And the differences are there ! Subtles + confusions = better chances to get away with :D hello magic tricks....kids believe in magic :D

keep writing that abx is used to confuse people, but it will not turn your posts into reality.
when you don't get a diploma you blame the test?
I'm pretty confident that if we took the group rejecting abx and compared to the population of people usually refusing to admit when they're wrong, the results would show a lot of similarities.
A/ I know there is a difference
B/ I can't actually hear it when I use a blind test
=> I lie to myself instead of accepting that maybe I'm just a normal human with limited hearing.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #682 of 721
keep writing that abx is used to confuse people, but it will not turn your posts into reality.
I'm pretty confident that if we took the group rejecting abx and compared to the population of people usually refusing to admit when they're wrong, the results would show a lot of similarities.
=> I lie to myself instead of accepting that maybe I'm just a normal human with limited hearing.

This is your appreciation ? Lol, funny.

If I was to be indenial, I would not post my result, do I care if I got 30% ? Lol....you know the differences are subtles right ? Appreciate the differences. If you don't, then don't look into high resolution music then, it is not just marketing, it is real. You are the one who is denying it here, if you want people to hear days and night differences, it would be 128kbps vs high resolution....isn't this the reason why MP3 dominated the market for a while ?

Why am I even trying to explain to a rock here ? 100$ is only 100$, and $100 and 10 cents is always 100.010 cents. Deny it all you want. Keeping that 10 cents, or trash it = your personal opinions.

You are welcome by the way

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #683 of 721

This is your appreciation ? Lol, funny.

If I was to be indenial, I would not post my result, do I care if I got 30% ? Lol....you know the differences are subtles right ? Appreciate the differences. If you don't, then don't look into high resolution music then, it is not just marketing, it is real. You are the one who is denying it here, if you want people to hear days and night differences, it would be 128kbps vs high resolution....isn't this the reason why MP3 dominated the market for a while ?

Why am I even trying to explain to a rock here ? 100$ is only 100$, and $100 and 10 cents is always 100.010 cents. Deny it all you want. Keeping that 10 cents, or trash it = your personal opinions.

You are welcome by the way

pretty much everybody does fail a blind test at normal listening levels for 16vs24 (abx or other controlled non sighted methods). why would a rational mind decide to reject that and blame it on the tests?
I fail to see how a rational mind would decide that no test yields better accuracy than a test, be it objective or subjective. be it in audio or in anything else.

bring me a good non sighted audio testing method where people can discriminate 16bit from 24bit, and I'll be ready to see the light. but as long as the argument is between people using methods vs people using nothing, I'll always go for logic and method.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #684 of 721
biggrin.gif
Bash my result however you want, I expected it to be confusing, just as much as similar perfume smells but different brands, I can confuse you as much. There are better way for me to tell the differences, but I am not gonna argue. This ABX is like a magician, it is trying to confuse me into believing that there are no differences....yeah right.

After all, believe what you want, and I can tell the differences if everything is lay out correctly. But musics is an art, and as long as there is a proven difference, it is priceless. Testing ABX made me realize how real, and how I should be chasing after Highresolution even more
smily_headphones1.gif

Explaining how ABX works statistically is not bashing your results.  Your results only verify one thing:  you, like everyone else, can't identify the difference between the two formats in a properly controlled test.

Spend your money how you like, but don't misconstrue what your ABX testing means.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #685 of 721

Same 15 secs clip with HR 16/48 and 16/44.1.....I will later experiment on 24/192 vs 16/44.1 and see,

1/ the differences in between these two files are very subtles.....as 10 cents differences in $100 bills....
2/ it doesn't allow me to listen to the way I want, say in a 15 secs track, when I restart A or B it was just a pause....hence it confused me more
3/ X will keep playing without my ability to replay X on the same file....whenever I play X, it will always random A or B......it gets even more confusing

But you want to know what differences that I hear ? Mainly drums beats as these are the easiest out of all subtles details....the Highresolution drums and beats are with a tad more Booms and Rumblings.....like I said 10 cents in 100$....the rest are even harder to tell....so on another hand...

The conclusions
it is almost impossible to tell the differences from high resolution vs CD quality.
The differences are there.....
I rather enjoy high resolution music than Cd quality, why not ? I love music, and I will do what I can to improve it......isn't this one of the reason why I have different earphones, headphones....still buying ? Hell.....IEMS and different cans sound worlds apart.....and it is still fun to swap them out after a few days to listen to biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Bash my result however you want, I expected it to be confusing, just as much as similar perfume smells but different brands, I can confuse you as much. There are better way for me to tell the differences, but I am not gonna argue. This ABX is like a magician, it is trying to confuse me into believing that there are no differences....yeah right.

After all, believe what you want, and I can tell the differences if everything is lay out correctly. But musics is an art, and as long as there is a proven difference, it is priceless. Testing ABX made me realize how real, and how I should be chasing after Highresolution even more
smily_headphones1.gif

Read how ABX tests work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test

Getting 30% right is nothing to celebrate. It does not mean "the differences are there"; it means you could not reliably distinguish a difference at all.

You have to get a 95% confidence level (like 9/10 or 15/20) for your results to be any better than random guessing.

Just to verify, did you convert the higher-res files to lower-res before doing the test? I'm assuming you did, since you could not tell them apart. But some people don't bother converting the files themselves beforehand, and then, you would most likely be listening to a different master of the recording. Some high-res albums are worth buying, but only because they came from a different master and thus sound different from the CD version, etc. Once you convert the high-res files to Red Book, those differences disappear.

Next time you do an ABX test, document it with foobar2000's ABX Comparator.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #686 of 721

I don't really understand this post. Please post your ABX log (it will offer to save the log when you exit).  That will tell us what is going on.

You have complete control over playing the A, B and X track in foobar ABX.  In a number of different ways.

30% is a complete fail in anyone's book.  People argue over 5% vs 1% with at least 10 trials.  If you're not in single digits with >10 trials it is an absolute fail.

If you are going to say you just don't like ABX testing and want to believe HD is better that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I don't see the need to engage on the technicalities of ABX testing then.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #687 of 721
:D Bash my result however you want, I expected it to be confusing, just as much as similar perfume smells but different brands, I can confuse you as much. There are better way for me to tell the differences, but I am not gonna argue. This ABX is like a magician, it is trying to confuse me into believing that there are no differences....yeah right.

After all, believe what you want, and I can tell the differences if everything is lay out correctly. But musics is an art, and as long as there is a proven difference, it is priceless. Testing ABX made me realize how real, and how I should be chasing after Highresolution even more :)

Oh joy ...

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #688 of 721
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.

It really is frustrating when the truth doesn't conform to your expectations, isn't it?! If you can let go of your ego, you can actually put the information you learn to use.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #689 of 721
Surely 30% in the ABX shows that he preferred 44.1 to 192? In other words 70% of the time he chose CD quality.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #690 of 721
  Surely 30% in the ABX shows that he preferred 44.1 to 192? In other words 70% of the time he chose CD quality.

I wouldn't make that claim - he was correct in spotting the proper format 30% of the time, so less than he should have if he just randomly guessed. However since he did only one set this sample is a bit weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back