Testing "Speed" of IEMs (B2, Custom 3, HF3)
Dec 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jadawgis732

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still quite new to the world of IEMs, and while I understand terms like decay speed, tight, punchy- in theory- I am not sure of practical applications. So what I've been doing is using a track by a newish band, Purity Ring, called Belispeak to test bass speed. I highly recommend it. Here, I'll post a link since it's relevant to the question:

Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/42157051
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVcOwVD4V30

So, I guess my question is, would this be a good song to test the speed and decay of IEMs? And since my ears are still somewhat poorly attuned to minor nuances between different dual-BA phones, could someone recommend what to listen out for when comparing? I get that I can listen for transparency, seeing whether one instrument merges into another, but I am still unsure of how to listen out for decay and "speed."

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
But that doesn't enable me to hear and identify it myself, as many people in reviews do.

That's the problem. People say all sorts of things in reviews. One person says something is 'smooth' and someone else says it is 'detailed'. One person says it's neutral and the other says it's bright. Aggressive, fast, dull, blah blah are all terms that everyone interprets differently. They're also subjective; how do you know the difference even exists beyond the reviewer's imagination? 
And if it's subjective, why should you be concerned if you can't identify the difference?

Anything that isn't an objective measure or your own personal experience must always be taken with a large grain of salt.
However, if you do want to train yourself to be able to recognise actual (rather than imagined) differences in sound quality and equipment response, this is a good tool:
http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 9
IMO HF3 are pretty good on speed in all frequencies response and decay where Custome 3 are great in mids, highs but bass little behind because it goes deeper and reverb and sound more on fun side and B2 is very good too on both.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks very much for the information y'all. Its funny, when you're new to something, every person who appears to be knowledgable on the subject seems like a expert, their opinions above reproach. It's good to see some levity, a breath of fresh air. Much appreciated.

I tried the Harmon program but it seemed like a quiz game to me, maybe I didn't play long enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, ZARIM, thanks for your take, that's what I might have said, but I thought there was some objective DIY analysis I could do to be sure. I only just got the Custom 3s and HF3s in the mail the previous two days, but I love the both. The HF3 has more bass than I had been expecting, but the C3 blew me away.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 9
The HF3, HF5 has greater bass punch compared to Shure SE315, SE425 and Klipsch Custom 3 are amazing sounding dual drivers BA IEMs, i hope Klipsch made tripe or quad drive BA IEMs like C3 and mids, bass are great on C3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back