Testing audiophile claims and myths
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #14,236 of 17,336
I won't watch anything that requires me to allow all sorts of cookies to watch, especially if it smells of snake oil. Do you have a more private place to view that video? Like youtube?

When bluetooth first came out, I could detect a tiny bit of artifacting. But that was a long time ago. Modern codecs are totally transparent. I don't see any reason to be dogmatic about bluetooth being inferior aside from the obvious audiophool "bigger is always better" fallacy.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #14,237 of 17,336
I won't watch anything that requires me to allow all sorts of cookies to watch, especially if it smells of snake oil. Do you have a more private place to view that video? Like youtube?

When bluetooth first came out, I could detect a tiny bit of artifacting. But that was a long time ago. Modern codecs are totally transparent. I don't see any reason to be dogmatic about bluetooth being inferior aside from the obvious audiophool "bigger is always better" fallacy.
The 2007/8 collapse of US economy motivated all businesses to rethink their need to offer better for less to stay in business. The result in A/V markets has been the disappearance of notions like "high end", since there's not much out there today to meaningfully distinguish high end from low end other than cosmetics which allude to product superiority, like sculptured aluminum casings or beautiful veneer facades. In other words, there’s a world of inexpensive plastic cased and vinyl clad gear out there today to play recorded music for very life like performance.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #14,239 of 17,336
Most audiophiles aren’t old. It’s young men in their thirties with disposable income and not a lot of financial responsibilities yet. And audiophiles have the same ears as any other human. Some audiophiles like to believe they are “special” though. Male ego stuff...

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #14,240 of 17,336
I've noticed that a lot of headphone enthusiasts are relatively young men, but a lot of "speaker guys" are male retirees. Probably because they have expendable cash and enough space to put speakers and a listening room.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #14,242 of 17,336
Speaker guys generally have houses. The main reason to use headphones is to avoid making the neighbors mad in apartment buildings.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #14,244 of 17,336

It's just a plugin for digital audio workstation software that lets you recreate string sections for whatever you're working on. Ironically, the samples are 48kHz/24bit, far too low for Mr. @analogsurviver. Must be why he's calling it "fake".

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #14,245 of 17,336
Headphones as a hobby to scratch the 'buy nice things' itch is remarkably cheap. One sports car purchase by a different sort of person would buy my lifetime's expendature's on audio gear.

Not to mention that I love listening to music, and the Grado family, Dan Clark and Zach whomever and the men and women at Schiit make remarkable products that I am thrilled to be able to buy.

Jan 9, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #14,246 of 17,336
I've spent an awful lot of money over the decades. I buy nice things, but I like to get my money's worth, and I want to know that it is useful for my purposes. It seems a lot of people go a long way beyond that to scratch their itch.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #14,248 of 17,336
Before I owned my own house, I had speakers in an apartment. I chose a neighborhood that had lots of loud parties. Never got a complaint that way, and I can sleep through anything!

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #14,250 of 17,336
The rent was cheap too! Luckily, I like Mariachi music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back