Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jun 4, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #12,647 of 17,336
Why couldn't he have just typed it in full, like you did?

signed,

-Acronym Hater!

not to get too pedantic about all this, but the reason for using some of these acronyms isn't just as a time/energy saver. There's also an element of humour or sarcasm involved which doesn't come through quite the same way if you actually type "fixed it for you" instead of "FIFY". The acronym (along with many others on the net) has become a bit of a code word that has its own little subtext of intent. Most of these have been around for many years now and it's sort of amazing that there's still folks not familiar with them. They are a little language all their own really...

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #12,648 of 17,336
reason for using some of these acronyms isn't just as a time/energy saver.

Yeah, I know. They're a code that Milies use so nobody else knows what the heck they're talking to each other about.

Most of these have been around for many years now and it's sort of amazing that there's still folks not familiar with them. They are a little language all their own really...

What might seem like "many years" to some is only a short time to someone approaching half a century's existence on Earth.

There's a "little language" I like to use in both speaking and writing, called English, really.

We can avoid confusion and wasting time in this manner having to explain to others what BTW, FIFY, AFAIK, IR2D2C3P0, LADYGAGA, etc. mean, by speling out more of these expression, so they can reach a wider age-range of audience.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #12,651 of 17,336
Give a man an answer and you'll have peace for 5 minutes. Teach a man to google and you'll have peace forever.

^^This^^ is the biggest vice of the internet age. Before it came along, people were more willing to actually help one another understand something.

The internet has made us lazy.

By just telling someone to "Google it", instead of attempting an answer, one might as well be telling them to 'F___ off'. Need we spell that out?

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #12,654 of 17,336
Yeah, I know. They're a code that Milies use so nobody else knows what the heck they're talking to each other about.

What might seem like "many years" to some is only a short time to someone approaching half a century's existence on Earth.

There's a "little language" I like to use in both speaking and writing, called English, really.

We can avoid confusion and wasting time in this manner having to explain to others what BTW, FIFY, AFAIK, IR2D2C3P0, LADYGAGA, etc. mean, by speling out more of these expression, so they can reach a wider age-range of audience.

I'm older than you and hardly a millennial. Sometimes, you have to change with the times. The internet and it's acronyms are here to stay, so fighting it is going to be a losing battle.

It's not exactly like acronyms are something new. Every industry has them. I'm old enough to remember how everyone complained about IT based acronyms. Now they are commonplace (CPU, RAM, GB, TB...).

FWIW

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #12,655 of 17,336
It's not exactly like acronyms are something new. Every industry has them. I'm old enough to remember how everyone complained about IT based acronyms. Now they are commonplace (CPU, RAM, GB, TB...).

Abbreviating technical terms is different than abbreviating common human expressions(IE: 'FWIW' - For what it's worth, 'IKR' - I know, right?, or for Gods's sake can we even type out HAPPY BIRTHDAY instead of 'HBD'?).

It's nuanced, but do you see the difference now?

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #12,656 of 17,336
I'm older than you and hardly a millennial. Sometimes, you have to change with the times

I guess I'm what you'd call a 'common-sense' conservative - liberal on the issues, but conservative about the basics: If it ain't broke don't fix it, don't reinvent the wheel, plus I'm extremely plain-spoken.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #12,657 of 17,336
Every culture has its own lingo. The only people who get mad about that are the people who feel left out of the "reindeer games". But you become a part of a culture by embracing it, not demanding that it conform to you.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #12,658 of 17,336

I'm 52

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #12,659 of 17,336
Every culture has its own lingo. The only people who get mad about that are the people who feel left out of the "reindeer games". But you become a part of a culture by embracing it, not demanding that it conform to you.

I don't feel left out of something that doesn't need reinventing: basic spoken or written communications.

And besides, what kind of "culture" talks like "DDJE? RRES! WW... XXKSKEKF. WSKSSS? QQ. "

What the f__ is THAT nonsense?

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #12,660 of 17,336
I don't feel left out of something that doesn't need reinventing: basic spoken or written communications.

And besides, what kind of "culture" talks like "DDJE? RRES! WW... XXKSKEKF. WSKSSS? QQ. "

What the f__ is THAT nonsense?

Adapt or be left behind. Sorry, but that's the reality.

To me, this is a whole lot of "Hey you kids, get off my lawn"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back