Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #13,981 of 17,336
If now you’re trying to say that an IEM sounds like open cans 99% of the times, to me you’re making statements as absurd as in the dedicated headphones forums.

HD800 were replaced by 800s a few years ago, please tell me a song to try when I can hear them farting.

I might not understand your mention to the studio: do you mean using an IEM in a studio for critical listening?

You know, one thing is to show that to spend money in DAP/DACs is useless, I was into that game and I agree not based on strange ideas but for I cannot hear any difference whatsoever between any combination. The myth of DACs was more than properly debunked here.

Still, if the game with cans becomes ‘the less money I spend the smarter I am’ and any can, IEM, open, closed, planar, whatever other technology or kind, sounds the same with a proper equalizer, I think I can hardly agree.

Are you getting upset over people being realistic on a objective forum?. The only abusrd case here is you assuming that stuff like the HD800S is endgame when the K702 already does very wide staging for £105, The ER3XR with proper fit will be more on par on planar for speed/detail while being £140. By EQ the Ety's can handle 10db while the HD600/HD800 give up at +6db while distorting.

Your in a world of hurt when 95% of music is mixed on DT 770, HD600, K702 & ER4. Which makes the HD800, L700, LCD4 & more detail claims quite funny. I've never once touted the ER3XR for staging not my fault many "audiophile" TOTL gear unfit for studio use which use netural stuff 98% of the time.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #13,982 of 17,336
Your in a world of hurt when 95% of music is mixed on DT 770, HD600, K702 & ER4.

Almost all commercial mixes and mastering is done on speakers. This brand rivalry alphabet soup of model numbers is dumb.

Spelling counts.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #13,983 of 17,336
Spelling counts.

Yeah, spelling and also grammar. I really have a hard time reading things like ‘I've never once touted the ER3XR for staging not my fault many "audiophile" TOTL gear unfit for studio use which use netural stuff 98% of the time.’

Again, if the point of Blackwoof is to show that one can’t improve the sound of a 100£ and 140£ headphones, I’m not upset, I simply find it funny. As much as putting HD600 and HD800 at the same level, or are we now trying to objectively say that they are the same?

I’m happy I started talking about headphones, since I realized I would throw 2K to the wind by buying a pair of Stellia when the Elegia sounds the same. But it ends here, if someone thinks that a 100£ headphone is all is needed to listen to music, well, good for him.

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #13,984 of 17,336
Yeah, spelling and also grammar. I really have a hard time reading things like ‘I've never once touted the ER3XR for staging not my fault many "audiophile" TOTL gear unfit for studio use which use netural stuff 98% of the time.’

Again, if the point of Blackwoof is to show that one can’t improve the sound of a 100£ and 140£ headphones, I’m not upset, I simply find it funny. As much as putting HD600 and HD800 at the same level, or are we now trying to objectively say that they are the same?

I’m happy I started talking about headphones, since I realized I would throw 2K to the wind by buying a pair of Stellia when the Elegia sounds the same. But it ends here, if someone thinks that a 100£ headphone is all is needed to listen to music, well, good for him.
That is the same person, who made statements before that the quality of 128 or 160 kb/s mp3 is fully sufficient.

Either it is really sufficient or trolling; futile (and wastes time) to argue in both cases.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #13,985 of 17,336
So if such a tiny device can have that many quality EQ presets why can't other dac's ? Even with no EQ set, my pm3 hp sounds way better than with iphone, I can hear that planar omphh in bass on lower volumes, where through a phone it can go shouty/edgy, but dead. Might be as pm3 are underpowered directly with iphone, but stating that such as DAC's advertised devices are only marketing trick and all I'm hearing is placebo is a bit ignorant. If iphone would be able to play with my equipment I would be happy, but it doesn't cut it for me even if people try to state differently. I doubt that those expensive, full sized dac's are bought by majority only for dac purpose..I won't be surprised if they offer connectivity/eq/amplification/clean circuit or whatever other reason :)

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #13,986 of 17,336
Are you getting upset over people being realistic on a objective forum?. The only abusrd case here is you assuming that stuff like the HD800S is endgame when the K702 already does very wide staging for £105, The ER3XR with proper fit will be more on par on planar for speed/detail while being £140. By EQ the Ety's can handle 10db while the HD600/HD800 give up at +6db while distorting.

Your in a world of hurt when 95% of music is mixed on DT 770, HD600, K702 & ER4. Which makes the HD800, L700, LCD4 & more detail claims quite funny. I've never once touted the ER3XR for staging not my fault many "audiophile" TOTL gear unfit for studio use which use netural stuff 98% of the time.
objective forum or not, this looks very much like your opinion and personal feelings.
As for what some IEMs or headphones can handle in term of EQ before distorting, what is your reference amount of acceptable distortions? And perhaps just as important, what listening level should be measured?

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #13,987 of 17,336
The same they are not, bit there are no huge differences in terms of objective performance (other than FR, which is not close to neutral in the HD 800). Their major differences are in how each driver reacts and their dampening, the HD 600 is closer to neutral, but the rolled-off bass and higher distortion are things they have to improve. The HD 800 has lower distortion products and slightly better bass, but it suffers from FR issues and ringing (lack of dampening/the driver overshoots and is hard to stop). Both have their issues, but both are a really good pair of headphones. Also, I don't think the HD 800 (or any other flagship) is worth what it selling right now, it doesn't provide the performance per dollar required to be considered for the price.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #13,989 of 17,336
The same they are not, bit there are no huge differences in terms of objective performance (other than FR, which is not close to neutral in the HD 800). Their major differences are in how each driver reacts and their dampening, the HD 600 is closer to neutral, but the rolled-off bass and higher distortion are things they have to improve. The HD 800 has lower distortion products and slightly better bass, but it suffers from FR issues and ringing (lack of dampening/the driver overshoots and is hard to stop). Both have their issues, but both are a really good pair of headphones. Also, I don't think the HD 800 (or any other flagship) is worth what it selling right now, it doesn't provide the performance per dollar required to be considered for the price.

But so does many other cheaper models. If price/performance ratio is the main thing that matters I don’t think you need to punch above 5$ costing earbuds on aliexpress

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #13,990 of 17,336
I do not need any reasoning for myself to try to justify using low-res files. The available SD card size grows much faster than my music collection.

I will continue to use flacs 16/44.1 and 24/96 (not because the latter are intrinsically better but since they are more than often different renderings of the master files), and I am NOT trying to convince anyone here (or everywhere) that it is the best choice or even that any difference exist.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #13,992 of 17,336
objective forum or not, this looks very much like your opinion and personal feelings.
As for what some IEMs or headphones can handle in term of EQ before distorting, what is your reference amount of acceptable distortions? And perhaps just as important, what listening level should be measured?

And I'm still waiting for proof the ER3XR THD increases when EQ done. Since i notice some putting words in my mouth about my views on ER3XR + EQ. Oratory1990 has given detailed reasons why the ER4 should run 12db boost fine since he made the harman profiles for them with full mesurements.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #13,993 of 17,336

I don’t know man, I have HD650 and their veil is insufferable, they sound even muffled to my ears.

We both agree that the performance per dollar of every high end is between bad and horrible. I paid 1250€ for my HD800s three years ago and I can’t say they weren’t worth it, but that’s 450€ less than the official price. The problem is the last three years, where every brand but Sennheiser went berserk with less and less justifiable offers.

The funny thing is that in other forums everyone claims that perfect cans don’t exist. I claim that there are lots of perfect cans which can be equalized to everyone’s taste.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #13,994 of 17,336
So if such a tiny device can have that many quality EQ presets why can't other dac's ?

I honestly would much rather have a small portable parametric equalizer with an amp than a DAC with an amp. I wish there was something like that, but the average audiophile hasn't made any effort to learn how to EQ. It isn't hard, but it takes an organized process. Presets are pointless. Every set of headphones is different and requires a specific setting. But it's possible to make mid-range cans sound just as good as high end ones with careful equalization.

The available SD card size grows much faster than my music collection.

You need more music!

I don’t know man, I have HD650 and their veil is insufferable, they sound even muffled to my ears.

A +3dB boost in the low end of the treble range would probably fix that right up.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #13,995 of 17,336
Something funny: I installed Equalizer APO about two weeks ago, because I wasn't all that satisfied with how my headphones sounded. So played around with the frequencies, adjusting it more and more to my preferred sound. I felt I was coming closer to it. Maybe an hour or so passed, while I tested everything with my favorite music. Only thing bugging me was it was still a tad too harsh somewhere in the treble. So to find out which region I'm most sensitive to, I dragged the high frequencies all the way up... Wait a minute, why do I hear no huge difference? It should blow my ears away, or not? Turned out I didn't install the software correctly -- my brain fooled me this whole time. I was hearing the same damn sound this complete last hour.

I knew the Placebo effect could be strong, but this really left me quite shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back