Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 20, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,026 of 17,336
@bigshot. I am not sure if you are really looking for binaural recordings or if you are trying to say that there are very few binaural albums, which I agree.

Just in case, hdtracks sells binaural recordings from Chesky Records: http://www.hdtracks.com/binaural.

Try, for instance, Macy Gray.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #8,027 of 17,336
Are there no albums to be bought in regular online stores? I'm averse to giving a site my credit card just to buy one album, and I use Apple Lossless, which most small download services don't support. (I don't do FLAC). I really prefer to just stick a disc in my player and not have to fire up my computer first.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #8,029 of 17,336
Sorry, should have said " approximation to the square wave" - with all the bandwidth limitation of ANY recording medium ...

Again, a whole post of nonsense and/or irrelevancies. Where's the evidence to back up all your past claims? You can't just ignore it and post more nonsense, that's TROLLING. Put up or shut up!!

As you're introducing yet another new bit of nonsense to deal with, answer this: Generate a 12kHz square wave. Record it with: PCM 44.1kHz, PCM 192kHz and DSD (or DSD wide if you prefer) and anything else you want (cassette, VHS or vinyl for example). Which of these recordings will provide the best "approximation" of this "square wave"?

G

May 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #8,030 of 17,336
May 20, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #8,032 of 17,336
I really don't want a laundry list. I want the best one to try out and see. Which one?

I have no dog in this fight yet. I just want to hear what the best sounds like. Then I may be interested in more.

May 20, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #8,033 of 17,336
May 20, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #8,034 of 17,336
I have recently suffered a personal loss in my family and I'm not in a mood to argue online with strangers about squarewaves. There are so much more important things in life and this last week has reminded me of it. All I say for now is that analogsurviver's attitudinal scepticism about 44.1 kHz PCM digital audio is comical. Visual shape of waveforms is not a precise indication of the perceiced sound. Bandwidth limitations and non-linear phase shifts can shape waveforms unrecognizable yet the perceived sound can be identical or near-identical to the original waveform. On the other hand noise, flutter and distortion etc. typical to analog formats may not be visually detectable, but are possibly perceiced by ears.

Even if we could reproduced near perfect acoustic sqaurewaves, by the time the sound enters our inner ear and stimulates the basilar membrane it doesn't "look" squarewave anymore.

--------------------------------​

I won't be very active here in the near future, but I probably visit where to take my mind off my sadness. Take care of people important to you.

May 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,035 of 17,336
You will have to pick one.

You haven’t heard any of these?

I’m getting the feeling that no one actually listens to binaural recordings!

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #8,038 of 17,336
Macy Gray or Casey Abrams yes.

OK. I'll order Marcy Gray then. If I buy something no one has ever heard, it's
kind of pointless because we can't discuss it.

May 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #8,039 of 17,336

Users who are viewing this thread

Back