Test your vocabulary
Oct 11, 2011 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

khaos974

Headphoneus Supremus
I wondered how head-fiers would fare in the following test: http://testyourvocab.com/

Quote:
TestYourVocab.com is part of an independent American-Brazilian research project to measure vocabulary sizes according to age and education, and particularly to compare native learning rates with foreign language classroom learning rates.
It functions by means of a quick three-part test: the first part with a handful of words to determine the general vocabulary level, a second part with a larger but narrower selection of words to determine the vocabulary level with greater precision, and a final (optional) survey to collect statistical information.
The site provides accurate results for virtually everyone, from very small children (with answers input by parents) to professional linguists. It can calculate vocabulary sizes from less than 100 words to more than 40,000 words.
For those interested in exactly how it works, please see the nitty-gritty details page. The companion Brazilian project will be launched in the future, at howmanywords.com.br.

And before anyone rambles on the non representativeness of a non random population, the people who designed the test are perfectly aware of this.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:
The test results are heavily reliant on the honesty of the test-takers, though.

Actually, I think it depends more on the personal criteria one applies for the qualifier "known word", after all no one is looking at how many words you know.
For some "known" would mean "guess approximatively one meaning in context", for others it would be "know at least several meaning for the word", and everything in between.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Actually, I think it depends more on the personal criteria one applies for the qualifier "known word", after all no one is looking at how many words you know.
For some "known" would mean "guess approximatively one meaning in context", for others it would be "know at least several meaning for the word", and everything in between.

Yeah, there were a lot of words I had definitely heard or read before, but couldn't remember or never learned their meaning

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 39
34,900; I'm a little disappointed, but I was only going for words I could actually remember the definition of, not 'hey, I know that word! But what does it mean?' words. They have some reasonably obscure ones towards the end of the second list.

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 39

Not too bad for a foreigner I guess, without any real study in literature and the like.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 39
30,100 words. I suppose it's somewhat accurate,16 years old, placed in...80th odd percentile in state testing. Taking French expanded my vocabulary greatly. And I have a knack of memorizing words with odd definitions. You can also attribute this partially to my 7th grade literature teacher, who made us memorize 400 or so obscure words by the end of the year. Naturally, there was a test.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 39
I got 28,800, they really pulled out some doozies in the second list... 

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 39
lol, I feel like the stupidest shyt with 9290.

Story of me and my language:
born in Korea
went to china when I was about 5, lived there for 5 years (kindy~year3 in a Chinese school (changed schools twice cause my mom likes to move around) and 2 years in 2 different international schools to start leaning English)
went to NZ for about 1.2 years
home schooled in Korea for about a year (while waiting for the visa to Aus)
came to Aus about 3 years ago.

At home I speak korean, I feel like I been through so much in 15 years (thats how old I am)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back