Test your vocabulary
Oct 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:
Wow I read a lot and I'm surprised I did not do better. I would say that on average I read about 10-15 books a month but most of it is fiction I wonder if that's why? I scored 22,600 and I'm 18 years old.

I read at least 90% fiction, so I doubt that's why. It's been a long time since I can recall running into a word I didn't recognize in a book or story, however. Not counting The Eye of Argon
wink_face.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't have imagined that my vocabulary was much above average. I would cogitate that perchance I was in error vis-à-vis this postulation.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 39
24,000 words

I read nothing but school required books. I'm much more into movies (I hate people that say this as an excuse, then only watch trainwrecks by Micheal Bay. I assure you I am not one of those people)

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #24 of 39
I'm kind of worried for my generation that that's actually ~2500 more than average for my age. I was expecting to be below average. Words not is my subject of strong-knowing if you what my meaning is.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #25 of 39

And I just looked up and learned the ones I didn't know.

To be fair, I got a bit lucky in life. My mother is a teacher and had me reading at two, my sister around the same age, too. We got my niece and nephews reading about the same age, too. All of us read constantly. It's great with the kids. We just throw books at them and they go off and read quietly. Makes them easy to deal with. I've been picking up old children's book for about 13 years and giving them to my sister for the kiddos. Those along with everything else, and they probably have over 3,000 books in the house. I've got close to 1,000 around and maybe another 500 in storage. The kids have taken a few hundred of my old books, though.

Also picked up my first degree in English, took two years of Latin and law school helped. I'm half convinced that I'm nearsighted because I've had my nose in too many books.

The good part is that I'll be teaching English in a week or two. I'll slip in as much vocabulary building as possible. :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 39
16.700. I'm not a native English speaker though. I think that I don't know a lot of really simple words just because of that. When I spent some time outside of my country I had to learn words for really simple things. I can honestly say that I don't know the meaning of a lot of words on the second list I got. I've been meaning to improve my vocabulary, but so far I haven't been all that motivated.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #29 of 39
I averaged 33,550, very strictly selecting words I knew the meaning of.

15-year old non-native speaker, if you look into semantics.

Kind of surprised, actually, considering my vocabulary is mainly geared towards expository due to an unfortunate aversion to writing narrative and fiction for school essays, and is highly imbalanced. Not the most loquacious out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back