Test tones 12-120hz, see how deep your bass goes!
Dec 22, 2008 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

unpacks to individual WAV files, 10sec sine wave at each frequency from 12-120hz.

more usually for subwoofers, but it would be interesting to see how deep your IEMs go!

Mine has a gradual slopeoff starting from 30hz to max usable output of 20hz. there is still some sound output below that, but it's practically unusable.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 78
What is the test here? Are we trying to see how low we can go while still hearing the tone?

At 40hz, I can just barely hear the tone, and anything below that I just feel the tone in my head, but I can't really actually hear it. I am using RE2s. I would assume that your headphones achieve the extra 10hz due to them being 5 times the price.

I am actually getting a headache now after listening to those tones for just a minute or two. Now I see where bass headaches come from
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 78
Ya, it is interesting. Wish I even had a subwoofer to try these out on. Unfortunately all i've got are my RE2s and some ****ty $150 Sony speakers that I got for my birthday a few years ago.

Funnily enough though, I tried listening to a bass tester on my headphones a while back, which ended up sounding fantastic, with the bass pumping clear and tight. Then when I brought it to my friends house, where he's got a $3000 Bose sound system, it ended up sounding really bad compared to my headphones. The bass was all muddy and bloated, not at all like mine.

Maybe that means that we should just stick to headphones for good. Either that or avoid Bose for good.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 78
lol perhaps given that it's Bose but not necessarily. i'm not gonna go into too much detail here but basically when you put a sub into a room, peaks and null appear in the freq, it's called an in-room response. That can muddy a sound if not tuned.

I would agree though, with bass coming from such small units so near/in your ears, it's so much simpler on the consumer end. Tuning a sub to your room is hardwork and costs money.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 78
insted of recordings, cant you just use a tone generator software ?

with NCH tone generator, i can hear my sennhaiser IE8 from 25hz to 15khz which is basicly avarage adult human hearing

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 78
25hz plus with shure se530.

anything below that tends to sound the same, which is,quiet and i cant hear it.

25 - 30hz is quiet but its there, 30hz plus is perfectly audible and clear.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 78
I didn't try these tones, but previously using test tones I generated: 18 Hz with UE SF5 Pro... once I get them properly fit. I can hear something at 16 Hz, but wouldn't call it a tone.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 78
Thank you The-One, ive been looking to test my X10's with various frequencies as I think there is a range in there that is not responding too well... will have to check that out and possibly ship them back for repair/exchange...

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 78
omg i felt/heard NOTHING on my ultrasone Pro 750... at 10Hz. Hehe could be my crappy source...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back