Test of Time :-) SDHC Card Reliability?
Nov 27, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wtruitt

Head-Fier
ok... i've written a couple items on this, though this should be the question to ask .. for you that have had cards for over 3 months.. have you had any issues?

the pny is rated highest, followed by kingston and sandisk (neck / neck). transcend is not much lower, but the complaints seem to be w/ the card failing after a period of use. anyone have issues to report before i shell out some bucks on one..

Thx ..
Wayne

(I have also posted this on iAudiophile.. hoping to get some thoughts on this

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok... i've written a couple items on this, though this should be the question to ask .. for you that have had cards for over 3 months.. have you had any issues?

the pny is rated highest, followed by kingston and sandisk (neck / neck). transcend is not much lower, but the complaints seem to be w/ the card failing after a period of use. anyone have issues to report before i shell out some bucks on one..

Thx ..
Wayne

(I have also posted this on iAudiophile.. hoping to get some thoughts on this

First off, how and where did you get those reliability ratings?

Second, both PNY and Kingston use multiple sources for their SD and SDHC cards. And I found that the PNY-branded cards sourced from Toshiba barely met their labeled Class 4 specs, based on my real-world write testing in a very fast card reader.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 16
Great question.. My method was "unscientific" in that I went to any site that I could find that allowed ratings posted by users and compiled the results. PNY came out ahead in this method. This method will result in users using cards in a way they were not intended, using in cameras, etc. hence, asking the question here. given your knowledge, which card would you recommend? Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, how and where did you get those reliability ratings?

Second, both PNY and Kingston use multiple sources for their SD and SDHC cards. And I found that the PNY-branded cards sourced from Toshiba barely met their labeled Class 4 specs, based on my real-world write testing in a very fast card reader.

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 16
my patriot cards have never failed and i have 2*8gb and 3*16gb ones the only complaint i have is that they use the thin plastic housing other than that ive yet to have any problems with them...

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 16
thx neezee.. Quote:

Originally Posted by neezee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my patriot cards have never failed and i have 2*8gb and 3*16gb ones the only complaint i have is that they use the thin plastic housing other than that ive yet to have any problems with them...

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 16
I bought a second hand Transcend 16GB SDHC from the FS forums here on HeadFi that has 14.9 GB space on it that has been 100% reliable. I only use it in my Cowon D2.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 16
All else equal, the card that sells the most will have the most failures.

Reliable under what use?

Stick it in your player, gradually load it with music, then read-only from there on?

Use it as a portable disk drive? (lots of moving from one slot to another, and all day read/write cycles)

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 16
my intention.. have a card that is gradually filled w/ music using an external reader. won't have much movement (not a portable drive) i don't agree w/ your logic on the most sold = most failures. 1000 cards at a 1% failure rate would result in 10 bad cards.. 100 cards at 10% failure would result in 10 bad cards.. Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All else equal, the card that sells the most will have the most failures.

Reliable under what use?

Stick it in your player, gradually load it with music, then read-only from there on?

Use it as a portable disk drive? (lots of moving from one slot to another, and all day read/write cycles)

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't agree w/ your logic on the most sold = most failures. 1000 cards at a 1% failure rate would result in 10 bad cards.. 100 cards at 10% failure would result in 10 bad cards..

Same conclusion. (Assuming they all get on here and complain) you see 10 tales of failure either way, but that alone doesn't tell you that the best seller is 10x a reliable.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Excellent point.. I didn't want to assume 'more expensive' = 'higher quality' .. very good point, though.. Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same conclusion. (Assuming they all get on here and complain) you see 10 tales of failure either way, but that alone doesn't tell you that the best seller is 10x a reliable.

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 16
I've had a 32GB Integral SDHC in use for about 4 months in my Cowon D2. No problems with it at all, it's full up and I've 48 GB of loveliness on the portable...

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 16
i'm very happy with my Patriot 16GB. The only time it ever failed was when I stuck it in a non SDHC reader, and that was fixed after a re-format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back