BEYERDYNAMIC A1
LAKE PEOPLE G100
LEHMANN BLACK CUBE LINEAR PRO
SPL 2CONTROL
SPL PHONITOR

Testbericht über Verstärker in Professional audio Musik und Equipment 6/2009

the text it's in german

here are the comments translated :

BEYERDYNAMIC A1 : "Plus: Very good, easy bass-/tiefmittenbetonter sound, suitable for all headphones, Very good workmanship, no voltage adjustment is necessary. Minus: Only single-ended inputs. Teuer.“ Expensive. "

LAKE PEOPLE G100:plus: Excellent, completely neutral sound suitable, for all headphones, Very good workmanship, very good value for money. Minus: DIP switches for voltage adjustment available only after opening the device."

LEHMANN BLACK CUBE LINEAR PRO:"Plus: Very good, largely neutral sound quality, suitable for all headphones, very good workmanship; accessible DIP switches for voltage adjustment from the outside. Minus: -."

SPL 2CONTROL:"Plus: full-bodied, not quite a neutral tone, suitable for all headphones, Very good workmanship, no voltage adjustment is necessary. Minus: -."

SPL PHONITOR:plus: Largely neutral, tend to powerful and voluminous sound pattern, suitable for all headphones, Very good workmanship, no voltage adjustment is necessary. Minus: -."

If you go searching for the enitre article(available through registration fee )

Klangvergleichstest Kofphörer-Verstärker: Professional Audio Magazin

it can be seen that the test has been done with DT880,AKG702 and HD800

The Lake People is the only one that has been judged:

"Excellent, completely neutral sound"

against amplifiers most famed and far more expensive.

I also do believe that the new hifi liine of products
made by Lake People and called :

Violectric

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/index.php

is at the highest level.

For avoidance of doubt I am not in any way affiliated or paid
by Lake People.I'm just a former audio mastering engineer who
appreciates and enjoys listening to music through headphones with
professional equipment that has in linearity and neutrality its own strenghts.

cheers

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 50
Very interesting unit indeed.

I am also wondering if a G100 would suit my purposes. I also like that the amp seem able to deal with any kind of impedance, which makes it pretty much universal.

Have you been able to compare the headphone out from the Mytek (which look similar to my Lavry DA11) vs G100 ?

According to specs, the G100 amp is able of more than 50 Volts peak to peak with cans of 600 ohms, and it is quite impressive.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 50
specs of that G100 are indeed impressive @ 350-400ish euro
redface.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 50
Fradoca--who distributes the Lake People gear or can one buy direct. Their web site is quite uninformative. How much is the G100?

Oh, I see. You have to go to the Violectric site. Sorry. Looks really interesting.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 50
hi,
the amp in the mytek stereo96 dac is a very good amp but
tends to be a little bit too bright.The G100 is better and far more neutral.
Here's an online shop(located in germany) where you can buy
the G100 :

Thomann Cyberstore

i don't know the u.s. distributor of lake people products

the g100 costs about 400 euros

i think if you email lake people you can buy it directly from them.

By the way the sound and the specs are really really good compared with
the price.

cheers

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 50
Can anyone tell me what the article says about the G100's performance on the HD800 versus the other amps in the test? Or does anyone have any experience/feedback?

I was planning to look at the Auditor or Phonitor as a future upgrade now I have the HD800's but the G100 seems to be rated in the same ballpark and is substantially cheaper.

Cheers.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me what the article says about the G100's performance on the HD800 versus the other amps in the test? Or does anyone have any experience/feedback?

I was planning to look at the Auditor or Phonitor as a future upgrade now I have the HD800's but the G100 seems to be rated in the same ballpark and is substantially cheaper.

Cheers.

i don't have any plan on hd800 but i sure was looking at the phonitor and now i see this v100.

very interest

Violectric by Lake People

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 50
Yes, the V100 looks like a hot-rodded G100 with better components, casework etc. Similar cost to the Lehmann Black Cube and SPL Auditor. Would like to hear these head-to-head!

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 50
I've got recently Mytek Stereo96 DAC.
Could someone tell me if there is any sonic difference between Lake People G100 and HPA V100 (also by Lake People).
I would like to connect to my DAC via XLR only.
I'm not sure if there is any reason to buy V100 (250 EUR more than G100) instead of G100 ... (only sonic difference is interesting me if such exists).
I have not modified (with JMoney Pads) Denon AH-D2000.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... looks REALLY basic.

That's been commented on before: prior thread. I'm not a technical guy (law student), so sometimes I wonder if I'm getting my money's worth. leeperry said it had a killer PSU section though.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 50
Hi Everybody

Been looking for worthy HP amp to drive my Sennheiser HD 800 cans for almost two months, tried several amps (Lehmann BCL, other SS, tube, hybrid - some very expensive)

Today, finally the search is over.
Sorry Mr Lehman and others, but for me the winner is
VIOELECTRIC HPA V100 by a big margin. I got it today, listened to it for couple of hours. ( hi-res classics, jazz, blues, new age, rock etc)

HD 800 & HPA V100 is a successful marriage, no question. All other combos so far could not nearly drive HD 800 (there was always something missing).
HD 800 were built to tell the truth, and a very special amp is required to allow this.

V100 has plenty of power but what really matters for me is transparency. Many people have complained HD 800 was missing something in the bass department - I guess they were driven by mediocre amps (=meaning not appropriate for HD 800).
With this amp HD 800 delivers ! No colouring, no hic-ups, the amp is dead-silent.
I can not say it is a good value for the money, more correct is: this is the first amp that brings HD 800 to life of all amps that I tried !
This baby sings out of the box (no burn in / break in, no fancy cabling - this is what I call a good piece of electronics and also built as a tank) .
Did I mention it was made by the Lake People (beautiful Bodensee lake in Germany).
Email them - you will be surprised, not only they know how to make fine products they care a lot for their customers.

These were my first impressions - I will come back as a give this combo a proper workout.

Cheers

WL

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's been commented on before: prior thread. I'm not a technical guy (law student), so sometimes I wonder if I'm getting my money's worth. leeperry said it had a killer PSU section though.

yes, I think these amps are simple and expensive for what they are...but they only use high quality components(except for the 5532 opamps, but luckily they're on sockets
rolleyes.gif
), and the cases look really neat in their consumer serie. OTOH, the Pro serie would appear to have a much higher bang for bucks ratio if you don't need a nice case.

markups are huge in the amp market anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back