TES 4: Oblivion
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173

androgeny

Head-Fier
Just wanted to see if there's anyone else who has been hopelessly swept up in the hype-machine surrounding this game.

I usually don't let it happen
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 173
I have the Collectors edition on pre-order, though I have it shipped to my homeaddress and since I study now I will not be able to play it until june\july.

That is ok though since it is a "cozy" SP game.

I have bought Morrowind though along with the addons so I have something to do in the weekends and as a preperation to get into a RPG, actually Morrowind is the first one of this type I play.

Oblivion looks really amazing and I think it might be one of the big ones in terms of which games gamers will refer to in the future.
I hope it will become a modern classic so to speak, and from the forums it looks like it will attract alot more people initially then Morrowind.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 173
I am with you guys. I am not a usual rpg fan, but I really liked Morrowind and I am looking forward to Oblivion. The requirements are kind of steep and my videocard is an ATI X300, so I don't know how it will be on my machine.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 173
I specifically pre-ordered an Xbox 360 just for this because my PC just isn't up to par to play the game and still have an enjoyable experience. And I've spent too much money this year on audio gear to upgrade my PC
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 173
Ironically, I didn't get into Morrowind that much. I finished it, but probably played maybe 80% of the game. It started to feel like a chore.

Also, I couldn't stand the game world. Something about a barren wasteland just doesn't make me want to be there.

Really enjoyed having my stronghold and decorating it with momentos of my adventures. Nothing like coming home and seeing a big room full of glowing weapons/armor
smily_headphones1.gif

I found Morrowind incredibly tedious to navigate. It would take a good 10 minutes to get anywhere in Vivec. I remember I spent maybe 2 weeks there on my first visit, just running around doing random quests. It was ridiculous.

I tried Tribunal, but just couldn't get into it. I think by that time I had invested way too many hours in a world that I just felt wasn't worth it.

From the screenshots/movies I've seen, I don't think I'll have the game world problem I did in Morrowind. Call me a sucker for the traditional fantasy environment. Instant travel should make quests easier to accomplish, cutting down on the tedium of walking through the same city a hundred thousand times.

I'm extremely excited to see how they've implemented stealth. I plan on making a magic-using rogue, possibly a sharpshooter. It should prove to be an interesting experience.

I'm somewhat worried about the mini-games (lockpicking and persuasion) - I haven't seen any video of it in action, and those mini-games could potentially be either insanely frustrating or insultingly easy. Here's to hoping neither.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 173
I'm definately looking forward to Oblivion! I expect it to engulf a majority of my free time
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what you said about Morrowind was directly on the spot androgeny. I tried my best to finish MW1, but the travel time forced me to give up

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 173
I'm totally swept up. I can't wait for it... I put hundreds of hours into Morrowind. It was my favorite Xbox game.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by androgeny
Ironically, I didn't get into Morrowind that much. I finished it, but probably played maybe 80% of the game. It started to feel like a chore.

Also, I couldn't stand the game world. Something about a barren wasteland just doesn't make me want to be there.

Really enjoyed having my stronghold and decorating it with momentos of my adventures. Nothing like coming home and seeing a big room full of glowing weapons/armor
smily_headphones1.gif

I found Morrowind incredibly tedious to navigate. It would take a good 10 minutes to get anywhere in Vivec. I remember I spent maybe 2 weeks there on my first visit, just running around doing random quests. It was ridiculous.

I tried Tribunal, but just couldn't get into it. I think by that time I had invested way too many hours in a world that I just felt wasn't worth it.

From the screenshots/movies I've seen, I don't think I'll have the game world problem I did in Morrowind. Call me a sucker for the traditional fantasy environment. Instant travel should make quests easier to accomplish, cutting down on the tedium of walking through the same city a hundred thousand times.

I'm extremely excited to see how they've implemented stealth. I plan on making a magic-using rogue, possibly a sharpshooter. It should prove to be an interesting experience.

I'm somewhat worried about the mini-games (lockpicking and persuasion) - I haven't seen any video of it in action, and those mini-games could potentially be either insanely frustrating or insultingly easy. Here's to hoping neither.

Yup i felt the same way about Morrowind but after doing some careful reading of previews, watching vids etc I've been very excited about Oblivion and have since preordered the CE edition for my 360
icon10.gif
It looks like a lot of the beef that i had with Morrowind was addressed in Oblivion.

Also a former Ion Storm designer who worked on the Thief series was hired on by Bethesda so you can expect the stealth parts of the game to be somewhat reminiscient.

I belive IGN.com has some vids showing the lockpicking and persuasion mini game in action. (I think they're in the "X360 Launch" footage) It actually looks quite intersting and the lockpicking is very reminiscent of the system used in Splinter Cell.

-neFilim

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by androgeny

smily_headphones1.gif

I never beat the game, but I definitely played it a lot. I got obsessed with gathering gems, torches, candles, and lamps for my house in Balmora (the one with the politician, I killed him and took over the house). I had at least 50 lamps in there, and rows upon rows of gems. Quite a sight. Can't wait to pick up TES 4.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADS
I never beat the game, but I definitely played it a lot. I got obsessed with gathering gems, torches, candles, and lamps for my house in Balmora (the one with the politician, I killed him and took over the house). I had at least 50 lamps in there, and rows upon rows of gems. Quite a sight. Can't wait to pick up TES 4.
biggrin.gif

haha i collect lamps and candles too but not that much. truth is the reason i'm attracted to morrowind is because of its pantheology and the harsh landscape/climate, which doesnt sound right for some people.

so i guess oblivion will be more pleasing to the eyes, thats okay, i just hope they dont downsize the map and the gameplay for consoles. now that i think about it consoles are so powerful anyway, they better not. its probably going to be harder because the AI it boast is so good. its said to be able to pick locks and steal, that would be bad if a NPC find my ingame hidden stash. this is just my guess though i dont know how the game is going to be.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 173
I never finished Morrowind either. I loved robbing the Vivec vaults and steeling all of the glass armor and weapons. Archers were pretty poweful, maybe too powerful.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 173
I was very disappointed that Morrowind was so small. I thought tes4 was supposed to be bigger.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 173
Bethesda has stated that Oblivion will be 16sq miles, which is a bit bigger than Morrowind was. Honestly, the real beefs I had with Morrowind's size were related to the fact that you had to walk *around* the hills/mountains in order to get anywhere. I really liked the exploration aspect of it, even though it started feeling a lot like a single player MMO.

The previous TES titles *were* ridiculously large, but didn't have the content necessary to make it worthwhile to explore. Everything looked the same, from towns to NPCs. For my money, I'd rather have a moderately large game full of great content than an enormously huge, bland game.

It looks like the vampire aspect of Oblivion is going to be very cool. I don't know if you guys got infected in Morrowind, but it wasn't exactly the most well-implemented system. I won't spoil anything, but it may actually be possible to roleplay a vampire for a long period of time in Oblivion.

The wait's almost over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back