Terrible AUX sound?
May 16, 2015 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Martynm14

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new to these grounds and I'm having some trouble. I decided not to use the "Gaming" headsets anymore, due to them being overpriced. Anyway, I bought a Antlion microphone and stuck it to my Audio Technica's ATH-M50 (Old model), plugged them in, and the sound is absolutely horrific and I have no idea why, even compared to the Siberia V2's I was using before.

At first I thought it might be because of my Aux output, but I have my 2 channel speakers using an Aux input through my cheap DAC, and they sound amazing...

I looked into some sound cards, but I wanted to check what my issue may be before spending more money...

If anyone needs any more info in order to help me, please feel free to ask!

Cheers guys.

May 16, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Might help to provide the make/model of the equipment you are plugging your equipment into and the type of source (and quality) of material you are listening to :)

May 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm using my custom PC, motherboard is an Asus P8VZ77-V, went out earlier and bought an Asus Xonar DG, which seemed to make the sound worse? I'm trying to play games with them, Counter Strike for example. 

May 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Also, what exactly is "worse"? You might have some of the DSP features running - virtual surround sounds horrible when you're expecting whatever sounds more like normal stereo audio and not aware that it's running the simulation. Everything sounds a bit farther out, but not actually sounding like that shot did come from 10meters away.

May 16, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't touched the bios at all, with it being worse, it goes from being completely flat to having an echo while being considerably louder... And yes it does sound like everything is further away

May 16, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 7
I haven't touched the bios at all, with it being worse, it goes from being completely flat to having an echo while being considerably louder... And yes it does sound like everything is further away

That's very likely Virtual Surround. Check and if applicable disable it in the soundcard settings, you should have installed the software suite that allows you to go into the soundcard settings with a GUI (although that's precisely why most people even buy soundcards, instead of just getting an external DAC, since soundcards have the DSP chip).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back