Terratec Aureon Sky, Senaura, ER4P
Jun 8, 2003 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fastjack

100+ Head-Fier
OK, here goes my second post in this excellent forum:

As I'm planning to get a pair of Etymotic ER4P I thought I might as well also upgrade my source. My Home PC only has an old SB Live and in recent listening-tests I found the sound kinda muffled compared to what my notebook (Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E-Series) put out (strange, I know). Thanks to Head-Fi I soon found out about the Terratec Aureon Sky which seems to be quite ideal for me. Just a few questions remain befor I can finally spend some money
wink.gif

How good do these Sensaura algorithms for virtual 3D-Sound via headphone actually work? As I plan to do a lot of gaming it would be real nice to have a good 3D positioning.

And what kind of .....sources can be used as input for Sensaura? Can I even set my DVD-Software to 5.1 output and let Sensaura do a downmix to headphone or is it just for directSound3D and EAX ?

In case of the Aureon Sky where are the Sensaura calculations done? If they're done in Software by the CPU how big is the impact on framerates ?

And finally: Is Sensaura very dependent on the headphoes you use? I shure hope the Etys will work good with it.

I'd also be gratefull for any other comments regarding the Aureon.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Fastjack

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 2
I recently bought an Aureon 7.1 Space, and I must say that I've never bought a product that has caused this many problems!

I've formatted my harddrive 4 times by now (installing different versions of Windows), and I'm still encountering problems. The PC-game "Counter-Strike" causes a system crash if EAX is enabled when I try to connect to a server, and no voice-over-IP program works with this soundcard.

On the other hand my music sounds absolutely amazing, but I can't stand a product that causes my system to crash, and if it's possible I'll return it asap to replace it with an Audigy2 or M-audio revolution.

To give you a short summary...
The card sounds great with music, but it's completely useless if you want to play any games. I hope you'll have better luck with your card than I had with mine!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
After having installed beta-drivers today the problems seem to be gone, the Terratec sounds good and works good aswell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back