Teralink-X USB to Spdif converter - General Discussion
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #46 of 60
Follow-up : 23/02/10

I have just realized that I made some comments/measurements that are burried in the very long http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/usb...hiface-449885/, so I decided to post them again here so that Teralink-x can find it more easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried 3 drivers with the Teralink-x: the stock driver that automatically installs, then the CM-108 Driver v.5.12.8.2119, and finally the Ploytec usb asio.

The CM-108 Driver v.5.12.8.2119:
I tried after a few weeks of using the Teralink and I found the sound horrible. I tried to disable all the dsp effects but there was always a loss in resolution and sound quality. I did some research and found out it had only 14 bits of resolution vs. 16 bits of the stock windows drivers. I uninstalled it and went back to using the stock windows drivers.

The stock windows drivers that installs automatically:
This is a good driver. I did most of my listening with this one. However, the sound is the on warm side of neutral compared to all the other converters. After trying many digital cables to get a better perception of its sound, I noticed that there is a "dulling" of the sound and a smoothing/slowing of the transients. It has a pleasing effect but it is not accurate. The soundstage is very big but not very well defined.
Anyway, I am sure that people who like the "tube" sound will prefer it to most other settings or even converters for that matter. As for me, once I detected the added warmth, I could not continue to appreciate it.

The Ploytec usb asio driver :
This one improves the sound to a more neutral balance. There is less "dulling" of the sound. The soundstage size remained the same but the imaging improved.
This driver is closer in tonal balance to the sound of the Musiland and the Hiface which leads me to believe it is closer to the "truth".

Overall, I think that not all people are looking for "cleaner" sounding sources. In my experience, lowering the jitter (improving the quality of the transport) result in the following results : Bigger soundstage, less mid-bass warmth/bloat, more defined and deeper bass. Usually, you get less mid bass and more deep bass (if your equipment let you hear that) which might not be what people expect or want to hear.

Quote:

I read about the cmedia drivers here : Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers - Hydrogenaudio Forums

By the way, when I chose to uninstall the CMedia drivers the first time I tried them it was based only on my subjective listening. You can read my comment about them here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...ml#post6042974

Also, since I was in a curious mood today, I did some RMAA measurements this morning for both the generic/stock driver of the Teralink and the CM-108 Driver v.5.12.8.2119.

I put the results in a Zip file if anyone is intersted in them.

First, how did I test it ? I used to the EMU 0404 usb to record the output of my audio-gd dac-100 using the Teralink as a transport.

Since I have tested the EMU with a SNR of 113 db (the SNR drops to 96 db when tested in 16bits which is to be expected) and since the audio-gd dac-100 has a SNR over 100db, if anything is done wrong in the digital domain it would show in the analog stage. If data is lost somewhere in the path it cannot be retrieved.

For what is it worth, my findings are as follow :

The generic windows drivers do not seem to mess with the data.

The CM-108 Driver v.5.12.8.2119 seem to have trouble outputting correctly 16/44 without messing with the data. The SNR is worse by a 4 (and up to 6db) compared to the best results I had with the generic windows drivers.

To my surprise, the 24/96 test with the CM-108 Driver v.5.12.8.2119 drivers improved the results in SNR over 16/44. However the drivers are limited to 48khz. There is a cut-off at 48 khz.
After trying 24/48 and 24/44 I concluded that the benefits comes from going to 24 bits rather than from "upsampling" to 96.

I read in the Valab thread people linking the 24/96 upsampling with the CM-108 drivers. Since I don't own a NOS DAC, I cannot comment on that. All I know is that there is a real loss in transparency using the CM-108 drivers in my system. I understand however that some people might like the "sonic signature" of the CM-108 drivers, but it is not the most accurate driver in my opinion.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a teralink i will do a comparison versus the spdif of the motherboard and the compass USB input.

By the way, did you get the Teralink-X or the X2? The X2 is their new model and it supports 24/96 (while the Teralink-X supports only 16/48)

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

By the way, did you get the Teralink-X or the X2? The X2 is their new model and it supports 24/96 (while the Teralink-X supports only 16/48)

I didn't knew there was a X2 and it seem i ordered the first one, now i'm wondering if i abort the order and take the X2 instead ... but as i don't own a 24/96 dac and recordings ... the internals look similar too but i will asked them if i can swap my order for a X2 instead as i plan to upgrade my system in the future.

Thank you for your remark.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

I didn't knew there was a X2 and it seem i ordered the first one, now i'm wondering if i abort the order and take the X2 instead ... but as i don't own a 24/96 dac and recordings ... the internals look similar too but i will asked them if i can swap my order for a X2 instead as i plan to upgrade my system in the future.

Thank you for your remark.
bigsmile_face.gif

You should probably go for the 24/96 version if it is possible as it will allow you to play hi-rez files as well as try upsampling in the future.
By the way, I see that you have the Compass in your signature. As far as I know, it should accept 24/96.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #51 of 60
the original teralink runs a crappy CMI108 chipset...the X2 sounds like a better deal using a Tenor chip, but then you're not that far from a hiface anymore? the hiface has good drivers support and a supposedly higher SQ.

when given several options, it's always better to go for the best one...it'll avoid having regrets down the road.

to me I don't see the point of buying anything between the NG COAX(compatible w/ the ploytec drivers for KS) and the Hiface.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the original teralink runs a crappy CMI108 chipset...the X2 sounds like a better deal using a Tenor chip, but then you're not that far from a hiface anymore? the hiface has good drivers support and a supposedly higher SQ.

when given several options, it's always better to go for the best one...it'll avoid having regrets down the road.

to me I don't see the point of buying anything between the NG COAX(compatible w/ the ploytec drivers for KS) and the Hiface.

The Hiface is better but costs twice as much as the Teralink-X2.

But you are right, it is better to get for the best one can afford ... as ultimately most audiophiles will feel the need to upgrade to the next best thing
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #53 of 60
Yes i was thinking of the hiface at first but the teralink is good too, very cheap and have more outputs, when i got a 24/96 DAC i may then change the spdif converter and at this time i bet a better converter will be on the market or a upgrade version, and i still can use the older converter as a computer source for my other hifi setup.

The SPDFI output of my motherboard was crappy and even the compass usb input give better sound (more bass quantity and impact, better soundstage, less harsh and more natural) so the teralink should be a good upgrade.

Also it seem i cant cancel my order now ... we will see.

ps: the compass don't accept 24/96 it will down-sampled to 16/44.1.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

ps: the compass don't accept 24/96 it will down-sampled to 16/44.1.

FYI, the Compass is limited to 16/48 from its usb input but it can accept 24/96 for its coaxial and optical input.

In fact, the DAC used in the Compass (the AD1852) is a 24/192 capable. The 24/96 limitation comes from the digital receiver (DIR9001). You can check the specs sheets or ask Kingwa.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

FYI, the Compass is limited to 16/48 from its usb input but it can accept 24/96 for its coaxial and optical input.

In fact, the DAC used in the Compass (the AD1852) is a 24/192 capable. The 24/96 limitation comes from the digital receiver (DIR9001). You can check the specs sheets or ask Kingwa.

Oh that a good news but i will ask kingwa to be sure, also kevin of vintage audio will send me the teralink x2 instead, that a good thing i post my order here, thanks.
beerchug.gif

edit: yes you are right slim.a Kingwa just confirm me it can accept 24/96.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Oh that a good news but i will ask kingwa to be sure, also kevin of vintage audio will send me the teralink x2 instead, that a good thing i post my order here, thanks.
beerchug.gif

I am 100% sure that the Compass is capable of handling 24/96 from the spdif inputs. I own the audio-gd dac-100 which is basically the dac section of the Compass, and I confirmed that by RMAA measurements (a while back ago).
But you can obviously ask Kingwa to ease your mind
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #59 of 60
Does Teralink work on hackintosh? I'm thinking it doesn't need special drivers on mac and therefore it should. My dell mini 10v (see mydellmini.com) hackintosh acts as a giant iTunes remote. It happily drives the Compass (shows up in Sound control panel as USB Audio DAC). Next I want to directly feed the Denon 3808ci which has USB but only for USB stick, so I reckon I'll need SPDIF.

Anyway I found a local source for the Teralink X and X2 (1250 and 1950 New Taiwan Dollars each).

Whatever currency, is the X2 50% better than the X? And is it better to give it external power?

And... what if I just use an Apple Airport Express to push iTunes into the amp? How does an Airport Express sound quality compare to these USB-to-SPDIF converters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back