TENTO Multibit Porta DAC 1866
Nov 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 22
It's available on all european amazon sites. Google the myst version and you will find reviews. There's even a thread here on this site. The russian version has been around a couple of years now. My guess is they decided to relocate production (or perhaps just assembly) to Germany to gain easier access to the EU-markets, and from there the rest of the World. Shipping to and from Russia can be both expensive and cumbersome, from what I understand. I expect more MyST products will follow at some point, carrying the Tento name. I received Tento PortaDAC last week, by the way. Having focused on BT this week, remaining inputs are up next week. I am going to test with various headphones. Eventually I will decide, if it stays, or is moved on.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 22
The MyST version used for comparison against Tento's version in the headphonia review, is an early prototype, or possibly the predecessor (1866OCUB v.1) to the current russian model, MyST 1866OCUB v.2 PortaDAC. This current model is more or less identical to Tento 1866OCUB v.2 PortaDAC. When I asked Tento about this, I was told that BT chip+antenna are similar, and sound is the same, only difference is "minor improvements in element base and body quality". So, yes, there are two MyST versions, old (v.1) and current (v.2), and you should look for comments and reviews related to the current version.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 22
I've had the unit for a few months, my impressions can be found here. Google translate (or similar) should provide a reasonably ok translation (like it did when I read parts of the russian thread above). A brief english upshot would be, that I'm happy with the dac itself, not so happy with built-in amp. So, while I am going to keep the unit, I will mainly be using it with an external amp. My current needs are more desktop orientated, so I am fine with that, it does defy the original all-in-one concept, though.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 22
Interesting read. I wonder if the reviewer used line out (dac) or headphone out (dac+amp) to arrive at his conclusions. Also, even though the dac can receive 24-bit, it only uses 16-bit AFAIK.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 22
I really wonder how this thing stacks up against my Sound Blaster X7 LE with Ultimate Ears 18 Pro and if it is possible to get a try-out unit in Germany.

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 22
  I wrote the headfonia reivew. If you have questions, ask away. The unit I borrowed is back in Germany getting an antenna upgrade. I suppose so at least. 

Any idea how it will compare to iDSD Micro? I am torn between selecting between these two. The R2R portable contact is really inviting me towards Tento. But, iFi has a great amp (class A as well). I am not sure about Tento on amp perspective. Specs were not clear. I need at least 2V output.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 22
matbhuvi said:
Any idea how it will compare to iDSD Micro? I am torn between selecting between these two. The R2R portable contact is really inviting me towards Tento. But, iFi has a great amp (class A as well). I am not sure about Tento on amp perspective. Specs were not clear. I need at least 2V output.

Well, I am not shigzeo, but I still own and use my Tento unit, so can offer my experience with it.

Out of curiosity I bought Chord Mojo to compare to Tento. Mojo is a very good DAC to my ears, however I ended up prefering Tento. I realised that with Tento I could hear how hard a piano key was hit, with Mojo I merely registered it being hit. It might seem a rather simplistic example, but that is the closest I can get to why Tento works for me (I listen almost exclusively to classical music).

Now, this is with an external (custom built) amp, as I never got along with the signature of the built-in amp. As for your 2V demand, my AKG K240 DF (600 ohms/88 dB) don't go very loud with the built-in amp, and sound nowhere as alive as they do with the custom-built one, or especially with another amp of mine, Zigis Rock'n Glass.

So, I am a big fan of the Tento DAC, not so much the built-in amp. Also, I should mention, that I prefer Coax to USB and Optical, the former being meatier to my ears. In my case the setup goes: MacBook Pro/AIFF/Audirvana+ >> Hiface Two >> Tento PortaDAC >> Zigis Trissturis >> Myst Nail 2. Hardly a portable setup, but this particular combination works extremely well.

Anyway, there you are, maybe some of it is useful to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back