Tennmak
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #796 of 1,026
Hey I'm new to chi_fi took the plunge with the pro's and all I can say is wow. Mind blown for the $20 they cost, and I'm hooked. I really want to hear the urbanfuns, DIY ie800, and df10. I would like just a little more air, detail and crispiness. Will I be dissapointed with these, and should I just move up to the $50 range? (crazy cello, wait for mad piano, etc...) Oh and by the way the bass port MOD for the pro's really helped the low mid boominess. Thanks

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #797 of 1,026
Hey I'm new to chi_fi took the plunge with the pro's and all I can say is wow. Mind blown for the $20 they cost, and I'm hooked. I really want to hear the urbanfuns, DIY ie800, and df10. I would like just a little more air, detail and crispiness. Will I be dissapointed with these, and should I just move up to the $50 range? (crazy cello, wait for mad piano, etc...) Oh and by the way the bass port MOD for the pro's really helped the low mid boominess. Thanks

Actually, I feel it's a flavor. Some ppl really love this sound sig

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #798 of 1,026
Yes sorry... Didn't mean to bash the pro's... Like I Said my mind is completely blow with the sq. I just prefer a little more flat signature. I actually put my tf10s in after a session with the pro's and I hate to say it but I think I prefer the pro's sound.:grinning:

My real question was are the pro's better than the other 3 hyped phones? I'm ready to start hoarding! But don't want to waste money on lesser sq...

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #799 of 1,026

If you really want to tame the low mid boost, place a small piece of adhesive tape over the port.  I found that removing the glue/adhesive that was originally in the port made the mid-bass even more present.  If a solid piece of tape decreases bass too much, try micro-pore tape.  Just a thought.  Good luck!

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #800 of 1,026
  I would compare the Shures to the Pros.Same sound signature for my ears.Same bass,same nice trebles,never fatiguing,but dark and muddy.Some times too much.It depends on the type of music(and voice)you're listening to.The Piano have the same bass quantity,maybe a lil less,but the sub bass is heaven if you like it,and they're much more clear in the mids,nice for women's voices.The Pros are much more comfortable than the Pianos.
The Cellos as i said many times,are a step above.The frequency is very wide,You'll miss nothing.It's all there,nothing covered.Definitely less bass than Pros or Pianos,but with nice full sub bass
and awesome mids and treble.I listen with ipod classic 7g and Fiio q1,no bass boost and low gain.
Anyway it's hard to say what is best.It all depends on the type of music you like.Anyway once you tried the Cellos you'll find that the others lacks something.You'll become choosy.

IMHO...

Yes, I would agree with the cellos sound signature. After listening for a few weeks, off and on, they have deep bass, excellent details and great 3d/imaging. My first impressions were a bit dark sounding, but this makes for a very smooth listen and nothing some tonal controls can't fix. They sound really good with my cheap windows phone and the fiio x1.

Concerning the tips. I found the foams to be my favorite, (full deep bass) 2nd, the regular tips, third, the double flange and 4th, the wing tips. The wings tame the bass frequencies for my ears. So all in all, a really good IEM purchase. If shipping from aliexpress is too long a wait, Amazon is now selling the cellos for $49 prime shipped, (pepaudio) with the newly included double flange tips.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #801 of 1,026
Yes, I would agree with the cellos sound signature. After listening for a few weeks, off and on, they have deep bass, excellent details and great 3d/imaging. My first impressions were a bit dark sounding, but this makes for a very smooth listen and nothing some tonal controls can't fix. They sound really good with my cheap windows phone and the fiio x1.

Concerning the tips. I found the foams to be my favorite, (full deep bass) 2nd, the regular tips, third, the double flange and 4th, the wing tips. The wings tame the bass frequencies for my ears. So all in all, a really good IEM purchase. If shipping from aliexpress is too long a wait, Amazon is now selling the cellos for $49 prime shipped, (pepaudio) with the newly included double flange tips.

I bought some soundmagic e10s the other day and noticed the double flange tips from them fit the cello perfectly.

With those tips there is no darkness to the sound. I didn't think much to the icluded double flanges as thinknthe cellos benefit from a narrower bore tip.

I still can't get over how much i love these iems.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #802 of 1,026
i haven't heard the banjo--from what i've gleaned it allegedly has the same sound character as the dulcimer (and perhaps uses the same driver--the specs seem very close). sick person that i am, i might get one at some point to compare.
Have you got the banjo yet? It seems our ears are very similar, as I've agreed with nearly everything you've said about tennmak. I have both the dulcimer and banjo and the dulcimer is hands down my favorite iem at the moment. I can't quit listening to them for more than 30 minutes at a time, lol. I wasn't blown away with the banjos at first, but they are slowly growing on me. They are so much brighter than the dulcimers, that it's a tough transition if you like the sound of the dulcimer. I know they share the same drivers, but to my ears, they're drastically different. I'd love your opinion of them if you happen to have picked them up.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #803 of 1,026
I also have the banjo, pro, and piano, but not dulcimer. Each of the three I have show incredible sound quality for non-hybrids, but each shows a minor (depending on preference) flaw in each other's sound signature. The Banjo's v-shape has a narrow dip that makes male vocals a little more recessed than natural. In comparison, the MusicMaker KK-Ting is similar in sound, but just has a more natural, balanced V-shape, if you understand how that could sound without being a contradiction. Or in comparison, the **** 4in1 has a wide U-shape more than V-shape that still works well for all mids for me.

So I'm curious if the Dulcimer would have the same problem if I got it.
If you enjoy tennmak products at all, you owe it to yourself to get the dulcimer. I agree about most of the others lacking in one aspect or another, but to me the dulcimer checks all of the boxes. There's something so addictive about it's sound signature,and it seems to get better and better with use. You cannot go wrong for less than 20 bucks.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #804 of 1,026
If you enjoy tennmak products at all, you owe it to yourself to get the dulcimer. I agree about most of the others lacking in one aspect or another, but to me the dulcimer checks all of the boxes. There's something so addictive about it's sound signature,and it seems to get better and better with use. You cannot go wrong for less than 20 bucks.

I now also have the Dulcimer and Porcelain. IMO, their sound is almost identical, pretty good in sound signature and sound quality, but the Porcelain is just a little more comfortable, so I'll recommend it over the Dulcimer.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #805 of 1,026
I now also have the Dulcimer and Porcelain. IMO, their sound is almost identical, pretty good in sound signature and sound quality, but the Porcelain is just a little more comfortable, so I'll recommend it over the Dulcimer.
Okay, now I'm actually more excited to finally receive my porcelain sometime this week. It's taken forever to arrive. I'm really anxious to see how it stacks up to my dulcimer. I hope you're correct in saying they sound very similar because I was considering buying a couple extra pairs of the dulcimers for spares, haha

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #806 of 1,026
Have you got the banjo yet? It seems our ears are very similar, as I've agreed with nearly everything you've said about tennmak. I have both the dulcimer and banjo and the dulcimer is hands down my favorite iem at the moment. I can't quit listening to them for more than 30 minutes at a time, lol. I wasn't blown away with the banjos at first, but they are slowly growing on me. They are so much brighter than the dulcimers, that it's a tough transition if you like the sound of the dulcimer. I know they share the same drivers, but to my ears, they're drastically different. I'd love your opinion of them if you happen to have picked them up.

still haven't heard the banjo, but i've spent some more time with the piano, which i liked quite a bit at first but now am finding a little lackluster--they're technically proficient but somewhat lacking the prat/fun factor of say, the kz zst or zs3. the dulcimer remains a real playa, howeva

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #807 of 1,026
I'm listening to some jazz, and while I love jazz in the Piano's, I feel like there is something wrong. When I listen to my KZ ZST's with a relatively large soundstage, a trumpet is about 75 degrees to the right back of me. On the Piano's it switches to the other side and is at about 45 degrees to my left. I've tested balances, and both are matched left/right with other headphones I have. Any reason anyone could think of for this?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #809 of 1,026
  I'm listening to some jazz, and while I love jazz in the Piano's, I feel like there is something wrong. When I listen to my KZ ZST's with a relatively large soundstage, a trumpet is about 75 degrees to the right back of me. On the Piano's it switches to the other side and is at about 45 degrees to my left. I've tested balances, and both are matched left/right with other headphones I have. Any reason anyone could think of for this?

Could you tell us what tracks you are listening to? I'm listening to Youko Kanno's Von and the piano in it sounds like it's somewhere behind me but to slightly to my right.

Edit: I listened to some of Ludovico Einaudi (a pianist musician) and in some tracks the piano's sound either felt more tilted to the left or the right, rarely the center but I've also noticed that when I adjust the seal of the earphones that also adjusts how balanced/centered they sound.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #810 of 1,026
I received a new pair of Pros from Tony.After some hours of "burnin time" i decide to make the bass port mod to see what really change.And...the small holes are already open.What happened?
The new 2017 Pros are modded from the beginning?I lost the old Pros so i cannot make a comparative but i think they're less dark.A little less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back