Tennis-Fi
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mdraluck23

The Brown Noser
This came to mind while browsing another thread. Any tennis players on Head-Fi?

I use my Babolat Pure Drives with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 Gauge mains, Excel Crosses 16 Gauge, strung at 59. Syntec Grip.  

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Yes, but I haven't played for awhile. I still have my racket, an old Prince, around.

I learned to play in high school - we were lucky enough to have courts and a nice teacher. I also took tennis through undergrad at USC. We were allowed up to 18 units, so each semester I took four academic classes at four units each and used the spare two for marching band and tennis (one each). I progressed from the beginner to intermediate classes but there was no way I'd make the cut for advanced.

The tennis program at USC was great. The men's team picked up a national championship when I was there and the members occasionally came by to give a few tips. I actually faced serves from pro-level guys... and have no idea how to cope with that. By the time I had an idea where the ball was I had already been aced. :D No matter, it was still fun and I have a tremendous appreciation for the pros.

My favorite tennis game is picking up a right-handed partner (I'm a lefty) and playing doubles. I can't compete with the really good players, but am good enough to keep rallys going and not having to stop to chase balls hit over the fence.

One of these days, I'd really enjoy getting into a community tennis program that matches up players and sets up small tournaments.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 15
Once again, Uncle Erik, I'm impressed. Is there anything you don't do?? I think what you meant was that the USC program was great... For USC. :D

I'm playing at the SRJC. Our number one player last year was player of the year for Community colleges in the entire state. He was huge, and served about 130 or more. I could get it back, but he would pummel me with the next shot. Absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea how people get so good. I wish my parents had forced me at age 3. Anyway I'm looking forwards to my first season of traveling (even though I'm a freshman...). We've been playing all of the fall semester and it's certainly way more intense than high school. We even have an assistant coach! My high school couldn't even afford ONE coach! I had a few coaches look at me for bigger schools, but I'm not that good. Solid 4.5, maybe almost 5.0?

It's a great sport. I wish it was more mainstream... But I also feel that if it was, I might not love it so much.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 15
I haven't played consistently in a a few years, but still love playing.

Off my head I believe I had Volkl Tour 8s, Big Banger Alu Power strings at 55lbs. Red volkl griptape.

I've been playing since I could walk since both my parents play and we had easy access to courts.  Played on the varsity HS team and were regional champions. Definitely love playing singles more than doubles

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 15
I play 1-2X/week.  Probably a solid 4.0.  I use a Wilson 6.1 classic 95 Stretch.  Prince synthetic gut with Duraflex 60lbs.  
I have returned a 130MPH serve before and its almost luck when I get it back but if I do, IT'S ON!

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 15
6.1, I love that racquet. My old coach had one. I feel the same way about returning. I think most tennis players (myself included) go out and practice serves all the time, but returning is just as important. Just practicing ground strokes and never emphasizing the return is not very helpful in match situations. Sure, you get some great rallies, but they happen less often.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 15
4x Prince Thundercloud Longbodies with Prince Topspin string at 64 lbs (recommended is 62+-5) and tacky Wilson grip.
I got a full ride offer to a D-3 college, but I was only 5k away before they even factored tennis in.

I go to OSU now and if I remember right they lost to USC two years ago in the national championships

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 15
Apologies if we have a new thread for Tennis, this is the only thread I found so far. Any other Tennis players? What racquet do you guys play with? I just ordered a few demos from sportsgearlab.com, including the K-Factor Tour 90, which is the one Federer plays with. I like low-powered, fairly heavy racquets.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 15
I used a wilson 6,0 85 for a few years early 90's , a 6.1 classic v1 for about 16 years (nothing beats it but they were beyond fatigued) after a long break i now have 6 head prestige mid+ youtek that i hope will last a while as new tennis rackets just feel wrong, i tried babalots but couldnt get used to them at all.

wish i could play more but for the last year ive spent most court time standing at the net feeding balls to my 4yr old, looking forward to him improving!

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 15
I've been playing since early teens prior to the Borg, Connors, McEnroe era. I only play once maybe twice a week at best. If I played enough to be consistent I'd be a 5.0. In my youth I tried a fair amount of racquets including Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 (still my all time fave), Wilson 6.1, Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff and Autograph, Wilson Ultra 2, Head Arthur Ashe, Dunlop Maxply, Dunlop Max 200G, Rossignol F200 carbon, Fischer Superform Mid, Snauwert something or other. Currently play a Wilson Pro Staff RF97 with Babolat Tonic gut (can't beat gut for feel or tension retention imo) strung at 57lbs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 15
I used a wilson 6,0 85 for a few years early 90's , a 6.1 classic v1 for about 16 years (nothing beats it but they were beyond fatigued) after a long break i now have 6 head prestige mid+ youtek that i hope will last a while as new tennis rackets just feel wrong, i tried babalots but couldnt get used to them at all.

Had a very similar route except the 6.0 lasted for about a month or so and only because I was forcing myself to like it. Sampras worship and all. But holy crap I thought the 6.0 was a difficult racquet. The sweetspot was the size of a peanut! The fact that he was able to win with that just makes him that much more special in my eyes. Ultimately ended up with Dunlop 300 aerogels which really need replacing at this point but new racquets are scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back