Tempted by the akg k701, advices ?
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
I already own earbuds from AKG (k317) , and love how they sound.
I  thought by "extrapolation", that getting a full size heaadphone
from AKG, would be cool. I  saw great reviews on the K701, they look nice,
and I  can find them near 200 euros, which is in my budget range.

However the pain, is the amp thing. Everyone say the k701 require an amp.
Would there be nice if I  buy a cheap amp (less than 50 euros), like the behringer ma400, or samson s-monitor ?
I would use it  with onboard sound Realtek Alc889 from my pc, which is not that bad (with wasapi, to bypass any unwanted dsp  from driver).

Otherwise in fact , I  own two computer , in two different town.
With one of them, I already use the senn  hd595 , and from some reasons
I  do not wish to travel with thoses headphones , and keep them on the same place (I  take the train).
This computer have also a Xonar STX  as soundcard, and buying a second one for second computer would be just too much expensive.
So the  question is that is it  worth to buy a cheap amp  amp, and do :
onboard Realtek Alc889 ---> cheap amp ---> K701
or the cheap amp would just be a waste of money, and then
the last solution to consider would be to swap my hd595 with the k701,
and then use the k701 with my xonar stx (which have an amp, that I  don't even activate with my hd595).

I don't know what I like so much in my akg k317 earbuds (same sound as k319), and that I wish to refind on my  full size headphones, but according to a kostalex review, they sound like "lesser version of K701, keeping its tonality along with excellent speed, separation and clarity. Unfortunately, it lacks wonderful K701 mids, micro details and overtones."
So that's a reason, at getting excited of getting k701.
And nope, cannot test them on a shop.

Any advice ?
Thanks

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 26
buy secondhand at least one comes up every week.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 26
@ unkle erik

Quote:
If you already like the HD-595, why not consider the HD-600?

I like it moderately, better than cheap headphones;  but I'm expecting something else from the sound signature.
I know that I'm missing something because I love the little k317. Moreover the k701 are cheaper on the store than hd600. I see that k701 were much more expensive before, but their price dropped because of the k702.

I don't know if it's a good idea to buy already used headphones on the forum (delivery in France),  but I 'll consider the idea soon.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 26
I recently sold my K701's. I felt they had some potential but I didn't really have the amp to push them and I did not want to invest in another. I sold them and bought some Fischer Audio FA-002w's and I am very happy I did. At least in my setup they are much better than the 701's and they are not even burned in yet. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
+1.

I've read that the Fiio e9 is also good for amping k701, though i don't know how good it it actually. I've just ordered e7 + e9, it's still on the way

i use the K701 with e7/e9 combo and enjoy it thoroughly. that being said i haven't listened to any other decent rigs

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 26
The K701's are wonderful HP's.  At times, I find myself in a trance-like state because the soundstage is so immersive.  They do, however need a decent amp & 50 euros might be a tough limit.  Personally, I use an Audio-gd Compass that (IMHO) sounds very good with the 701's.  Audio-gd sells a smaller "Sparrow" DAC + HP Amp for US$140 + shipping.  Maybe you could find a used sparrow for a little more than 50 euros.  Some folks think that the Sparrow exceeds the performance of the (older) Compass.  However, the Sparrow only has digital inputs...this may or may not be a problem for you.

BTW, I bought some used K701's on the Head-Fi classifieds forum for US$170 shipped (which I think translates to ~122 euros).  The shipping to France will increase the price, but you should still be able to save enough to buy a decent used amp.  FWIW, I've had very good experience buying used items on Head-Fi- these folks seem to take very good care of their gear.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
i use the K701 with e7/e9 combo and enjoy it thoroughly. that being said i haven't listened to any other decent rigs

I use the e7/e9 with my k701's and thoroughly enjoy it. I have listened to my k701 on a hi-end tube setup at a local dealer and the only noticeable difference was that maybe the mid's come out a bit, but not much. I was also only able to listen to about 3 songs on that setup so granted I had more time I probably would have picked up on more.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 26
Well, I think I'll renounce to get the k701, I've been reading all the threads (especially the one: "Everybody's hate K701! OR- Did anyone of K701's haters even tried them out trough extreme amp?" )  , and I  realize that they are too controversial, with the high risk of being disappointed. I  wanted to "upgrade" from the hd595, and experiment a different sound from sennheiser, but lot of people  seem to have a preference for sennheiser. 
I was even surprised to see people preferring the k601 or k501 to the k701.
It's a bit a a pain, to see a headphone, that reduced perhaps to less than half the price, and seeing people still avoiding it.
My budget is 250 euros max, amp or not amp included.
Now I'm a bit clueless, I might be looking for something different.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Well, I think I'll renounce to get the k701, I've been reading all the threads (especially the one: "Everybody's hate K701! OR- Did anyone of K701's haters even tried them out trough extreme amp?" )  , and I  realize that they are too controversial, with the high risk of being disappointed. I  wanted to "upgrade" from the hd595, and experiment a different sound from sennheiser, but lot of people  seem to have a preference for sennheiser. 
I was even surprised to see people preferring the k601 or k501 to the k701.
It's a bit a a pain, to see a headphone, that reduced perhaps to less than half the price, and seeing people still avoiding it.

I bought AKG k702 before getting on headfi, my reference point was sonic similarities with Adam A5 monitors, and I'm very grateful for that 'cause I would definitely skip such a good 'phone reading those comments. Enjoy your journey

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:

Unless you need monster bass, why not pick up a used K501 from ebay for around 90 Euros, and spend the rest on a good amp? If you want a richer bass on the 501, you can then invest in some 601 earpads. A better plan, I think, then paying full price for a new 701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back