Tempotec V1 & V1A
Feb 24, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 237
I have the same set-up (Temptec to Chord Mojo) although mine is the V1A version. If you're using it purely as a transport I would think that having less 'stuff' on the PCB would be better to avoid any additional noise but I have no complaints with the V1A and the Chord is just amazing when you throw some DSD files at it from the V1A.

Thx, i have already ordered V1 and waiting for it.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 237
Now that we have a dedicated thread for the V1/A can I ask other owners about the HiBy LInk app. The only functions I can access when the V1 is connected to the app is just navigating the files and player controls. All of the other V1 'settings' e.g. Equalizer and MSEB are disabled. As far as I know this is just how it is but is anyone else getting different results with the V1 HiBy Link combo?

EDIT: also has anyone put XVortex's custom firmware on the V1A and if so what are your opinions of it? I'll be installing it tonight (mainly to avoid the 20000 track limit)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 237
Now that we have a dedicated thread for the V1/A can I ask other owners about the HiBy LInk app. The only functions I can access when the V1 is connected to the app is just navigating the files and player controls. All of the other V1 'settings' e.g. Equalizer and MSEB are disabled. As far as I know this is just how it is but is anyone else getting different results with the V1 HiBy Link combo?

EDIT: also has anyone put XVortex's custom firmware on the V1A and if so what are your opinions of it? I'll be installing it tonight (mainly to avoid the 20000 track limit)
Well...it changes the font and I think it makes the player a bit less laggy when flipping through the sd file section. @XVortex maybe can explain more what is in there?

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 237
I just ordered the V1 after having received the Tempotec Sonata HD pro and playing with it for a while. I am impressed by the sound quality so I was enticed to see what others products they had and in how far they equal Hidizs range. I tried the HD pro as a DAC to amp-input and got to wandering what HiByLink was about. I thought you needed a Hiby DAP for that but I got it working with my old phone as a server and the new one as client and it worked very well. I can link my old phone to my DAC via USB and get maximum sound quality from my stationary hi-fi set while controlling it from my listening position. Ps: concerning HiByLink; I can only access the lists and music scan too. So I reckon that's all it does. No equalizer etc. HiBy doesn't edit tags etc anyway. I say better not try to do something than do it halfheartedly. (if only Foobar was as good on android...)

The only problem is, my old phone can't swap SD-cards and is limited to 128GB (not that little but not enough). The sound quality is superb with native DSD or any high-res material. And since I already backed up my music to SD all I need is a server like the V1. An almost ideal solution apart from a dedecated file server which is a lot, lot more expensive and hassle (I haven't had working pc in years).

So now I'm waiting for the V1 to arrive. I don't need the analog output of the V1-a anyway so why pay for that?

I found some reviews of the V1-a:
thanks to cqtek:https://hiendportable.com/tempotec-variations-v1-a-english-review/
and: (more info on the V1)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-v1-a.23908/reviews#item-review-22831
and from the 'obscure daps' thread:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 237
Well...it changes the font and I think it makes the player a bit less laggy when flipping through the sd file section. @XVortex maybe can explain more what is in there?
Put this on my V1 last night. I can finally index all 35,000 tracks now :) I haven't noticed much in the way of improved GUI responsiveness but then I've not really had much time to play with it yet. It's worth it thogh just for the increased DB limit.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #22 of 237
Put this on my V1 last night. I can finally index all 35,000 tracks now :) I haven't noticed much in the way of improved GUI responsiveness but then I've not really had much time to play with it yet. It's worth it thogh just for the increased DB limit.
Good, that’s awesome. I think you are the first one to confirm the increased file limit. I’m reaching the 20k limit on my 2 250gb cards. I’ll have to switch over to a 500gb card in one of my slots soon. They work (at least with one in one slot (I’ve tried).

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #23 of 237
Received my V1A a while ago and overall very happy! Managed to have it connect to BT TWS & iPhone (hiby) also via BT at the same time! Wasn’t sure if that was possible, but it is.
One thing that still kinda puzzles me: is there not a setting in BT that’s like ‘detect what the BT headphone’s flavor is’? I first thought I had a faulty device because I kept getting reboots / crashes until I figured that those only happen when I connect a non-AptX headphone while the BT setting is still set to AptX. Now that I know this, it’s all good.

here a few pics of size comparisons with other DAPs. Something I was actually looking for myself.
iPod nano 7th gen DE955BBD-4549-4AAE-AB44-9829AAC4B2C1.jpeg

Xduoo x284E6278A-1146-4C96-B494-71991B63871D.jpeg

the shanlings (the small one is the M1, not the M0)FE56A322-DF74-45FB-BDDA-EB97DA20A123.jpeg

benjie x62AEAA6DD-D875-4DD4-8C67-948938C8B4ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 237
What's the advantage of not indexing the second card? Is it just to reduce the size of the album/track lists? The 20000 track limit is a bit annoying too.
The advantage for me is for shuffling all. It won’t pull tracks from the full albums on the second card. My first card is like a giagantic greatest hits assortment.

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 237
I got my V1 yesterday and now I'm learning how to get it going. So far it works excellent. 2 SD cards, hibylink works. Screen is functional if rather small but the gui is great.

Only thing is, I can activate BT, but I can't see any devices, nor can I see a refresh button. Not like it says in the manual. Maybe update firmware? I've put V1. 5 and vortex's custom ro. 's on my phone. I've read how to do it but I can't find it anymore... is it: place unzipped rom in root SD-card, insert and start up? What I (vaguely, /me had flu) remember I have to put it in a folder named 'update'? Can someone tell me again how to?

Ps: SD cards are not very reliable imo. I have a new kodak 128 but fileoperations keep f-ing up the FAT. So I lost 100gb of backup. :frowning2: And then format again. Then lost again several folders. Sigh... Deleted the mysterious text-file and copying again... All so time consuming.

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #26 of 237
Ok... I finally got my hands on the V1 I bought during the black friday sales! I too bought it mainly for the Mojo so the first thing I did was stick a strip of dual-lock on the back. I can confirm that both the TRRS 3.5mm to 3.5mm coax cable (for Fiio X3ii) and the Type-C to 3.5mm coax cable (for HiBy R3 and Cayin etc.) work sending a coax signal to the Mojo's 3.5mm input. The Meizu HiFi Pro is also very nice with the V1, btw. HiByLink is also working on both iOS* and Android which makes the small screen on the V1 forgivable.

I really like this and I'm wondering what I should do with the HiBy R3 now that the V1 kinda completely replaced it for my uses... I got the V1 (not V1-A) because between my BT headphones, the Meizu and the Mojo, I have no use for the built-in analogue section - especially for the extra cost.

I'll write a more detailed review later once I've spent a little more time with this thing. Prob a couple months for the 'new toy' and recency bias to at least be less of a factor (Hopefully).

* It's a bit of a pain reconnecting HiByLink while the V1 is still powered on as you need to switch the BT off/on again on the V1 to reconnect your phone/tablet if it disconnects from inactivity.

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 237
I've been using my V1 A for the past 3-4 months and unfortunately the headphone jack broke after 1 month. Not exactly the best build quality. I had to order a dongle to be able to continue using my iem's with the V1. The dongle that I'm using is the Dosmi Hi-fi dac (same as BGVP T01), great inexpensive device and to be honest I think the sound quality is much better now.
Overall (headphone jack aside), I'm happy with the player, I really like the form factor, the battery life, and the dual card slots.
Many thanks to @XVortex for the updated firmware, I noticed the UI is speedier now and the new font size is better suited for the screen size.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #28 of 237
It is not entirely true that V1 does not work as a DAC with a smartphone. Over Bluetooth, it reliably releases LDAC codecs up to 96 kHz 16 bit. It is necessary at least Android 8.0 and in the developer settings set parameters for bluetooth audio. And in V1 set codec for bluetooth LDAC 990 kbps and set the volume to V1 at 100.
Firmware 1.5VTX is also excellent font selection.
The only thing I miss is the AptX HD codec

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #29 of 237
But a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter and the V1 doesn't have an analogue section so it can't work as a DAC. The best it could do is send a digital signal via coax or USB that it receives from Bluetooth? Which makes it a Digital to Digital Conversion, at best.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #30 of 237
I’ve updated to XVortex’s firmware and everything works fine except altering the time setting. It was very difficult to get the Hour setting to select and when it did it then kept flying past the one I wanted. It took repeated attempts to get it right. The minute setting didn’t need changing but it seemed the same as I couldn’t select it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back