Temporary dac solution for objective 2 headphone amp
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Yh173088

New Head-Fier
I just got an objective 2 headphone amp from jds labs(just the amp), and currently saving up my to get a new dac .
I have a FiiO Q1 M2 , would I be able to use it as a USB dac paired with the objective 2 amp , until I save up to get a better dac . This may not be ideal but it’s only temporary. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated. :)

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 5
I just got an objective 2 headphone amp from jds labs(just the amp), and currently saving up my to get a new dac .
I have a FiiO Q1 M2 , would I be able to use it as a USB dac paired with the objective 2 amp , until I save up to get a better dac . This may not be ideal but it’s only temporary. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated. :)
I would say to just keep using the FiiO Q1 MK II as the DAC, no real need to buy another DAC.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 5

Just hook up the right cable from the Q1 Mk2's line out. The only real difference is that it outputs a lower voltage signal. Considering you already have it you might as well just use it.

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Just hook up the right cable from the Q1 Mk2's line out. The only real difference is that it outputs a lower voltage signal. Considering you already have it you might as well just use it.
Thanks . That is what I am currently doing . I was just unsure if I should use the line out or the headphone out to connect it to the o2 amp .thanks for clearing that out . But what about down the line ? Should I be looking to get an upgrade eventually?

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks . That is what I am currently doing . I was just unsure if I should use the line out or the headphone out to connect it to the o2 amp

You're supposed to use the line out even if it's lower voltage since it's also lower noise and distortion. It comes straight off the output stage op amp on DAC side, bypassing the amplifier stage.

But what about down the line ? Should I be looking to get an upgrade eventually?

Depends. If you're still getting loud enough sound without noise, not even when you compensate for the lower voltage by cranking it up, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back