Tell me why should I buy a sqeezebox
Apr 4, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #31 of 40
One of the drawbacks for Apple Express streaming is that apparently the software requires my host computer to be on the network via a wireless card. At least that is what Apple told me soon after the AE came out.

I am wondering if Squeezebox would let me use my old, ethernet networked, PowerMac dual 1.25 as the actual server through a router to an old Airport Graphite basestation?

I only have an old Graphite Airport base station. So I'm wondering is streaming lossless files are out of the question?

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 40
Should work fine... why use the basestation though? Do you have a wired [no wireless] squeezebox or something?

PS. I don't see why the airport express would require that your computer be connected wirelessly... that sounds like BS to me. The router sends out and recieves the signals, so the computer being wired should not be a problem.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Should work fine... why use the basestation though? Do you have a wired [no wireless] squeezebox or something?

PS. I don't see why the airport express would require that your computer be connected wirelessly... that sounds like BS to me. The router sends out and recieves the signals, so the computer being wired should not be a problem.

I got one of the first AE's and it died soon after it came out of the box. Before it died I called Apple support, and at that time they insisted that the host computer had to be connected to the network via a wireless card. I have a new AE I use for travel. I will have to give it another go and see if it works.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1
One of the drawbacks for Apple Express streaming is that apparently the software requires my host computer to be on the network via a wireless card. At least that is what Apple told me soon after the AE came out.

I only have an old Graphite Airport base station. So I'm wondering is streaming lossless files are out of the question?

The APX works over Ethernet, and AirTunes does too. You'll have to set it up as an accesspoint or remote base station in a WDS though, which your original APBS does not support. Depending on your network's load I would not recommend using it in a 11b setup anyway. Once I upped my DSL to 2mbit I got massive dropout problems since realworld performance is far away from 11mbit. Going all 11g cured it. AirTunes *always* converts your tracks to ALAC for transfer, no matter what your source material is.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
The APX works over Ethernet, and AirTunes does too. You'll have to set it up as an accesspoint or remote base station in a WDS though, which your original APBS does not support. Depending on your network's load I would not recommend using it in a 11b setup anyway. Once I upped my DSL to 2mbit I got massive dropout problems since realworld performance is far away from 11mbit. Going all 11g cured it. AirTunes *always* converts your tracks to ALAC for transfer, no matter what your source material is.

Thanks looks like I need a new basestation. The Squeezebox might be a solution but it won't play protected ACC files. Whereas the AE will.

Apr 4, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Thanks looks like I need a new basestation. The Squeezebox might be a solution but it won't play protected ACC files. Whereas the AE will.

You already have the APX, right? Hint: Reset it & set up a new network with it. Try out all the Ethernet fuzz and so on to your hearts desire before making a purchase.

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
You already have the APX, right? Hint: Reset it & set up a new network with it. Try out all the Ethernet fuzz and so on to your hearts desire before making a purchase.

I'm thinking the Graphite Basestation won't communicate with the Apple Express station. The computer and basestation are in one room. The Raptor and the Apple Express are in the other room.

Unfortnately there is no practical way to easily run ethernet cable to the second room with the Raptor.

The Squeezebox looks sweet with the display and all. Wish Apple would at least let the protected ACC files stream to the Squeezebox. Still I guess I will want the faster wireless G connection instead of the Graphite's B connection if I want to stream lossless.

The Olive music server actually looks neat, but of course it costs. MacWorld Magazine just came touting the Intel Mac Mini a a "Media Mac". Hmmmm.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasG
so I guess that the SB does not support gapless playback with Apple Lossless...?

I just tried this (tracks 7-8 of Patricia Barber's Companion which are bridged by continuous applause) and there was no gap that I could hear.

Pretty nice -- even if gapless isn't fully supported in theory, in practice MP3 and ALAC do seem to play gaplessly on the Squeezebox.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

IMHO, you should burn all your iTunes-bought tracks to an audio CDR as a backup in case your hard drive fails. From these you could create lossless files (FLACS or Apple Lossless) to use with the Squeezebox. I realize that the original AAC files are compressed and you should NOT ever convert to another compressed format like mp3 or unencumbered AAC, but if you convert them to a lossless format, you won't run into any strange artifacts caused by double-lossy compression. You willl retain the sound quality of the tracks as purchased from iTunes.

The real solution is to never buy DRM tracks in the first place, but that's a debate for another time and place.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #40 of 40
Hi
I really like the concept of the squeezebox, but I would like to be able to connect it to my computer whenever I need to, like when playing movies... That why I don't understand why they didn't put any digital inputs. Do you know how this would be possible ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back