Tell me what you think of my current list of equipment
Oct 24, 2002 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

audioenthusiast

New Head-Fier
Now i do not have this equipment, but I have the money and will get it if I feel I should from your comments. I also need help with the source and portable source, I have no idea what I can get that has good sound and is currently able to be bought from a store, local or online. I also don't know if i should get the grado 325 or 225, I would use them for rock and I like bass.

I listen to rock, techno, rap, jazz, and classical.

Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 (I need a pair of closed with good bass)
Grado SR325 or 225 (Open phones for Rock and stuff like that)
Sennheiser HD 600 W/ red clou
HeadRoom Cosmic (Reference Module)
HeadRoom Base Station One
cd player = ? Help
cd player source for home = ? Help

I will eventually get a turntable so I can listen to techno, which is mainly released on vinyl.

so what do you think?

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 12
I think I wish I had as much expendable capital as you
wink.gif

What exactly is your budget? It may behoove you to spend less all at one time and so spread out and to put more into one area/headphone-amp combination of your setup. Sources will also run you a pretty penny if you are looking for something really nice at home.

For reference to your sources... maybe go check out the 'source forum' found here at head-fi?

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 12
I agree with Aeberbach. Get either Senns or Grados. If you like one, you won't like the other.

Look into the following CD players:

Musical Fidelity A3cd24
Adcom 775 (I think that's the number, not sure)
Rega Planet 200

These are home based players.

BTW, I don't know if I'd get the Cosmic. I'd probably go with the Maxed out Home.

Oct 24, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 12
http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/d...20REF%20PDH500

http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/d...TEAC+REF+AH500

http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/d...TEAC+REF+TH300

Technics 1200 ~$350

Teac cassette recorder.

Sony MP3 car player (with the "Buffers")

Grado 225's with a few modifications, or Audio Technica's, or Senn 580/600, or Sony 3000's, or ...

great headphone amp (all class A or tube/solid-state hybrid),

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
are you putting 50% of your take home paycheck into your savings account?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

speakers: (4) 18" in a back to back to back to back configuration (tube) with the middle two in an acoustic suspension with the bottom two in dual 4" x 6.5" port with the top in a labyrthn tuned port (20" x 6.73"), dual 6" focal midranges, triple horn loaded tweeters seperated at 23.5 degree angles. 4 sets for surround sound. good to about 12Hz -2dB. 88" high. 22" x 22" footprint.

save your bucks and just buy some good phones.
biggrin.gif

a multi-scan dvd player is now about $150.

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I think you should buy only one of the HD600 or Grados. They are so different that you are sure to prefer one to the other and regret one pair.

That's not always true.
I had both the 580 and the 225 at the same time and enjoyed them both. (I have since sold them both)

You might like different kinds of music with the different cans.
(ex. classical with the senns and rock with the grados)
If you have the cash, I would get them both so that you can truly evaluate them.
If you really do like one over the other with all of your music then you can always sell the other pair.

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
are you putting 50% of your take home paycheck into your savings account?

You don't have a mortgage do you?
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 12
audioenthusiast: Although I would gladly spend this amount of money on headphones all at once and revel in the resulting audiophile orgy that would ensue, you might (and I repeat, MIGHT) find this path more exciting if you buy a few items at a time...prolong the act, so to speak. On the other hand, if you've got a budget like this, you might be buying plenty more anyway...so what do I know. Enjoy your sweet indulgence.

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 12
I disagree with the Senns OR Grados as well. I traded some Grado 125's for a pair of AKG K501's once. Oops. Really wish I would have kept the 125's. My girlfriend liked them too. I would get the 225's over the 325's though... but that's just my preference. I don't like the metallic sound of the 325's. Oh yeah, and if I'm listening to headphones, it's usually w/a pair of Senn 600s.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Most of this is a matter of taste but I thought it worth mentioning that I don't know of a single person who prefers the Clou Red to the Equinox and Cardas. Think about that.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Most of this is a matter of taste but I thought it worth mentioning that I don't know of a single person who prefers the Clou Red to the Equinox and Cardas. Think about that.

You do now...but it's amp dependent. I don't have the Equinox, but I do have the Clou and Cardas. I prefer the Clou with the Grado RA-1, and the Cardas with the ZOTL. Those are the only two amps that I did an actual A/B comparison with. The strengths of the Clou directly address issues I have with the HD-600/Cardas and the SHA-1, but I haven't done the experiment yet. In general, when the HD-600 is showing signs of high-end rolloff and bad control of the bass, the Clou has done a better job of rescuing the situation. Where the highs and bass are already there, the Cardas has a better midrange presentation. Although, as I've been discovering more and more, as soon as I make generalizations like that I'll run into an exception that proves me wrong.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
I agree with Aeberbach. Get either Senns or Grados. If you like one, you won't like the other.

Look into the following CD players:

Musical Fidelity A3cd24
Adcom 775 (I think that's the number, not sure)
Rega Planet 200

These are home based players.

BTW, I don't know if I'd get the Cosmic. I'd probably go with the Maxed out Home.

The number of the Adcom CD player is (probably) either GCD-750 (in current production...retail @ $1500 or so, used @ $700-800) or GCD-575 (no longer in production, used market @ $150 or so). I would recommend either of these, with the understanding that the 575 was a great player in it's day. It's still good...but I use mine as an excellent transport.

For that matter, bifcake has assembled a pretty good list. I would add to the list the Cambridge Audio D500SE on the less expensive side...nice player. NAD also does a nice job in the upper end.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back