Tell me about Tragically Hip
Mar 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Given that, tragically, I'm anything but hip (and thus don't know a thing about this band), give me the score on these guys. What songs are they known for? What bands have a similar sound? They will be coming to Grand Cayman for a concert on May 1st. The ticket prices are oddly reasonable ($80-$125) given that it's Cayman and everything is expensive here.

The Canadians sure are getting pumped up about it. But then again, they're also proud of Celine Dion, and I'd rather listen to cats screaming in a vicious fight than to suffer through that "Near, far..." thing again.

I know it must seem odd that I've somehow managed to miss a couple of decades of music from a band that is (apparently) so well known, but most of the 80s and 90s are a complete blur to me (musically speaking) since I was in graduate school for so many years. I've kind of done some catching up in recent years, but am just getting around to Green Day, Crowded House, etc. I'm more into classic rock, jazz, blues and reggae.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 8
You can find out plenty about them at the band's web site. They're also on iTMS, etc. I would say the album that stands out most in my memory is Fully Completely, and the tracks Fully Completely and Wheat Kings got plenty of radio play in the Detroit market back in the 90s (this release was from about '99 if I remember). By this time, everyone already had some familiarity with the band, most of which was probably based on the song Blow at High Dough from the earlier (maybe 1989 or 1990?) Up to Here album. So, there was about a decade between the release dates of these albums, and plenty of new material, but lots of it wasn't so memorable in my opinion... not to say it wasn't any good.

Performance-wise, Gordon Downie could be described as extremely intense, bordering on nutty. In a good way, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

It's always tough to try to compare one band to another, so I'll avoid trying to do that here. To make an extreme generalization, one might be able to say that those who like The Tragically Hip may also be prone to listening to other Candadian bands from the same era, such as Our Lady Peace.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Good idea about checking their website out, Jaska! Duh, why didn't I think of that? I'm now listening to them and checking out the videos they have posted there. Great stuff. They do well as a jam band, and Gordon Downie (I take it that's the lead singer) sure is a creative guy. I'll definitely go to see the show with my girlfriend (although she might not quite get into it, being a young Jamaican).

In the meantime I'll do some more listening and maybe get a couple of their albulms to get better aquainted. I always figure that's worth it, especially if you're going to drop a couple hundred to go see them! This will be one of the biggest/best shows ever in Cayman.

Beres Hammond (an old-time reggae crooner) has performed here several times over the years and always puts on a great show. They also have a decent jazz fest in October, but this will be just the 3rd year for that so they are still working the kinks out. In general terms, there really aren't many opportunities to see quality performances here, so this should be fun.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 8
I think they are probably the best band to "never" see the face of light in the U.S

For some reason, their music never seemed to jump across the border, unlike other bands, such as Rush, Nickleback, etc etc

I don't follow that type of music much, but I did like them alot, during their prime, about 4-10 years ago

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 8
If you are a fan of good ol' rock and roll I highly recommend seeing The Hip live. I have all their albums including the live cd and dvd and I enjoy them very much but it's nothing like seeing them in person. Gord's stream of consciousness rants during and between songs must be seen to be appreciated. His dialogs with the mike stand are classic... The live cd, called The Tragically Hip Live Between Us and the dvd from the box set Hipeponymous are very good but yeah, if you have the chance go see them, you won't regret it! Good stuff!

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Great band. They have a recent 2CD best of that's a great overview tol get caught up.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Tragically Hip are one of my favourite bands. great guitar driven rock. Personally I like their first 6 CD's, their music went way downhill after that (as in sucks!). Favourite songs are New Orleans is Sinking, Twist My Arm, Highway Girl, Boots or Hearts and Poets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back