1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about those USB-C DAC dongles...

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by G.Trenchev, Jul 13, 2018.
  1. G.Trenchev
    Hi all,

Haven't been to HeadFi for quite a while, nice to meet you again :).

Recently I became interested in portable USB-C audio, particularly in those ugly(well...) dongles that provide a 3.5mm jack. To start with, I thought of them as passive adapters: somehow the idea of a DAC, amp, and possibly, a DC/DC converter fitted inside a tiny dongle did not fit in my head. Apparently, I'm completely wrong. Now I really want to gain a bit more insight, of not only what's inside, but also how it sounds. What better way than to buy one :)

The info is really sparse, with just a few reviews that only unpack the product and say "it works". This is not very helpful. I would like to see some measurements and more user feedback. I see Ken Rockwell did something with the Apple adapter, and I found some images for the Pixel 2 adapter. But not much else.

There seem to be 2 "audiophile" grade adapters - Musiland MU1 and Hidizs Sonata HD. The first one is known to use CS42L42, a codec with impressive specs for the size. There is a review here on HeadFI. The second one has similar specs, so probably the chip is the same. They both cost around 30 EUR (that's an ok price I guess?). Another popular choice seems to be the Pixel 2 adapter. If you have something else in mind, and/or know better models, please check in :)

If it matters, my phone is Nokia 7 Plus. It has a 3.5mm jack, but I want to get better and louder of course. I will use my trusty KRK 8400.

2. d00dez
    I'm a long-time lurker as well, and I'm surprised you don't have any response yet. Your question was very well thought-out and detailed. I had the same question, and the information you've already provided is useful to me.

Thank you.

3. Negakinu
    There's a thread about the Sonata. I actually ordered one this week, to use with my Xiaomi Mi Note 3, but more like an experiment than anything else. I already own a few decent DAPs and DACs. I hope it sounds decent! I like the idea, since I'm currently stuck with an usb-c to 3.5mm adapter anyway, whenever I want to listen to some Spotify on my phone.