Tell me about these old Electrostats?
Nov 6, 2008 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jerryjg

New Head-Fier
I dont know if they are working properly. The volume is very low through my Furman Signal Processor which has a small headphone amp in it. They are old Koss ESP 6. Did they come with some kind of power supply/ amp? How are the sound of these old Dinosauers?;

jerr2197.jpg

jerr2198.jpg

jerr2199.jpg

jerr2200.jpg
[/IMG]

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 6
These have built in energizers in the cups so you need a very powerful amp to driver them, preferably an impedance matched (Koss supplied a adapter box for this) speaker amp. Odds are that there are quite a few shorts in cups since the oil based foam Koss used for damping corrodes any and all metal.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 6
although they came with a standard 1/4" phone plug, they also came with an adapter to wire them up to the speaker output of an amplifier. the adapter basically consists of a pair of dropping resistors and a switch to shut off the speakers. the alternative is to re-wire your headphone jack on your amp, per Koss' instructions, so you can plug the esp6 directly into the amp.

i picked up a pair of esp6 for 5 bux at a thrift store several months ago, and i just ordered a pair of new ear cushions (also 5 bux, direct from Koss). i keep my esp6 wired through the adapter box to my dynaco stereo-70, and i use the carrying case for my pro4aa. btw, the pro4aa earpads fit the esp6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back