teen audiophile moral issues
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #91 of 105
I wouldn't say his parent's a completely correct in their assessment of audiophile equipment, but since the kid is only 16, it they call the shots. Sorry kid, but you're at their mercy for two more years. This is very necessary because they have the right to influence -not control- the person you are to be in the future. And also, learn to start everything modestly. Just get a set of SR60s and start using AAC Lossless.

BTW, I remember taking my IGCSE in Milan. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #92 of 105
I bet you think you're REAL smart in committing fraud.

You've lost a LOT of respect here these past few days, I can assure you.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #93 of 105
For some reason I cannot access this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...11&postcount=7

The intentionally break you nano link. It says I don't have permision to view it. Why?

And on a more important note what everybody else is saying is right. I commited fraud once (can't remeber what it was though) when I was younger and not only were my parents dissapointed in me when they found out, but I was dissapointed in myself. I learned my lesson.

Not sure what everybody else thinks, but I always try to have a method of recourse whenever I buy something expensive.

And from looking at this I think I may just go buy a pair of KSC-75s...

T.R.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #94 of 105
frown.gif
okay, firstly, i know you probably dont want to hear it, but i am actually sorry for what i did. At the time, i did not realise that it was such a bad offence, not that thats an excuse. Sorry.

Second thing, it was all my money, as some people doubted. My brother and sister where getting little tv's, or expensive jewellery, or computer games for their birthdays and christmases. Not me. i have always taken the money instead for the past 3 years. I also had a paperround for a year. i think i deserve the money - and i am definately not spoiled.

i am getting a job at a mechanics soon.

People who said an imod with my current phones - i do know that it needs an amp and headphones. I just figured that whats the point in getting amp and good phones, if it will only highlight the weak source? I guess i should work my way from the bottom, probably with koss ksc75.

Thanks for that slap on the wrist everybody, for reasons entirely different from what i expected.
frown.gif
i wont try an explain myself, i simply didnt think of the morals of scamming the 'whatever happens' policy for my item.)

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #95 of 105
oh, and i bought the nano before getting into this forum, and believe me i did research the imod and amp and phones.

Thinking of asking my parents if I can buy some super.fi pro5s for ME, because they said they would let me before the iMod incident, but i fear they will shout that i havent learnt and create more tension. I think ill do whats best for the family, until it all cools down.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #96 of 105
Everybody relax, it's not like we all haven't done something stupid when we were teenagers and broke. Seeing the big picture and results of your actions doesn't really focus well for you when you're 16. He apologized...let it go.

Make sure you can return those, or any for that matter, IEMs. They are most definitely not for everybody. *waves hand* They hurt my (admittedly small) ears, fit-wise.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #97 of 105
1. Trust your parents' advice and intentions. They have learned the hard way and actually do know a few things. I'm sure they have your best interests in mind.
2. Rethink your ideas to make a claim on the ipod damage. If you have a conscience, it will surely bother you more by "getting away with it" than by getting caught.
3. Always try before you buy. Just comparing and listening to gear in simple side-by-side comparisons will get you 99% to the finish line. With things like headphones, speakers, microphones, and phono cartridges YOUR PREFERENCE should be the deciding factor. I have (foolishly) spent thousands on things I ultimately didn't like and have learned the lessons of mods, special cables, and the like.
4. Having an audiophile type hobby is fine, as long as it doesn't lead to irrational spending choices. Work within your budget! (Talk with your parents about a budget.)

Good luck!

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #98 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who said an imod with my current phones - i do know that it needs an amp and headphones. I just figured that whats the point in getting amp and good phones, if it will only highlight the weak source? I guess i should work my way from the bottom, probably with koss ksc75.

just know that in the grand scheme of things, an imod is a very poor choice of upgrade. for the money, you could have a much better impact from spending that money on headphones instead. Thats the trouble with researching on forums, people often talk about the differences in sound, but relative to what? Here are a few things you might find handy.

-Source modifications usually don't do much for the sound. CDP's will sound better than a modified ipod/mp3 player. Older CDP's are quite cheap, especially if you buy used and you are not set on a portable setup.

-amps have a slightly larger impact on sound, but you will see a huge improvement mainly with headphones that need a lot of power, versus amping something like IEMs. I used a cmoy ($40) to drive HD580's and i did not see the benefit of having upgraded to a gilmore lite amp for $300.

-IEM's in your price point won't compete with full sized headphones costing the same amount. It's just how they are built. They will be noticeably worse sounding.

If I was in your position with $600 to spend, I would get a pair of headphones around $300, an amp around $100-150, and a sound card around $100 with money to spare. This is IMO the best sound you can achieve for that cost, and all you will ever need.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #99 of 105
Quote:

oh, and i bought the nano before getting into this forum, and believe me i did research the imod and amp and phones.

Thinking of asking my parents if I can buy some super.fi pro5s for ME, because they said they would let me before the iMod incident, but i fear they will shout that i havent learnt and create more tension. I think ill do whats best for the family, until it all cools down.

In an audio forum you have a lot of 'splaining to do about how you rationalize fraud. So far not one post has addressed it. Either you're embarrassed about it, or you don't see anything wrong with that.

I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #100 of 105
Quote:

frown.gif
okay, firstly, i know you probably dont want to hear it, but i am actually sorry for what i did. At the time, i did not realise that it was such a bad offence, not that thats an excuse. Sorry.

Second thing, it was all my money, as some people doubted. My brother and sister where getting little tv's, or expensive jewellery, or computer games for their birthdays and christmases. Not me. i have always taken the money instead for the past 3 years. I also had a paperround for a year. i think i deserve the money - and i am definately not spoiled.

i am getting a job at a mechanics soon.

Thanks for that slap on the wrist everybody, for reasons entirely different from what i expected.
frown.gif
i wont try an explain myself, i simply didnt think of the morals of scamming the 'whatever happens' policy for my item.)

I'm glad that you realized that your grand plan is WRONG. I see your situation. However, once you've become a parent yourself, then you can understand why your folks wanted to impose influence on your decision. They don't just want you to reason and make sound decisions; They think of rainy days, and your future....
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #101 of 105
your money and your choice on how you spend it. My parents are shocked constantly on how much I will send on anything, never mind audio. What they don't understand is that I'm saving money in places that they would spend too much money on in my opinion such as clothing. Any item of clothing over £15 is over priced in my view unless it's a coat or footwear.

anyway I will share some of my secrets which have lead me to have an enjoyable life despite strict parents:
1. If they have a problem with something you rearly need to do then invent a fictitious thing that sounds worse to them and when they refuse that then casually mention the other thing.

2. If you want to go out somewhere they may disaprove of eg. uber hardcore death metal concert then spend so much time indoors in your room with an obsesive hobby that they are desperate to get you out of the house. again mention said uber death metal concert in passing.

3. Get caught doing all the usual stuff: looking at ****, been drunk etc. get it out of the way parents loosen up significantly after that.

4. GCSE's are crap don't worry about them just get the required grades and move on. Don't worry about them unless your predicted 5d's or something.

5. Develop a flight sim obsession this will be the cover obsesion for the audio obsession. A good flight sim obsession will make your parents WISH you were into audio still.

6. stop talking to your parents about stuff like how you spend your money, eventually you have to cut them out of the loop to some extent so it may aswell be now.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #104 of 105
Ok, thank you for addressing the fraud issue. Good thing your parents didn't know about THAT little detail. My feeling if I were you is that I should be allowed to get this gift for myself. What was the point of going through Christmases and birthdays getting nothing tangible of note if not for this thing that my ears need? This is the gift I want. This is the gift I feel my saving has given me the right to get. If it is a mistake, I can cross that bridge later, but it is my mistake to make.

If the money given as gift was meant for other parental-approved things, then what was the point of getting the money? The money is for gift purposes, and what is this, but a gift?

They should be able to discuss this rationally, but if not, you have other choices to make about what your parents do and don't know. I can tell you that my mom would flip out if she knew some of the things I bought. I am a 32 year old woman who is in charge of the family finances, but to my mom I am still 8. There are some things that parents just aren't going to know about you.

Whether or not audio is one of those things is a path only you know would be best or not.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #105 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Get caught doing all the usual stuff: looking at ****, been drunk etc. get it out of the way parents loosen up significantly after that.

dude i really hope you've never got caught doing the unthinkable on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back