Technology advancements in IEMs?
Oct 17, 2009 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
So there have been technology advances in IEMs over the years: better tuning, better efficiency, miniaturized parts (for multi-BA or multi-driver), bigger-than-ever driver (mdr-ex700), adjustable bass (IE8), better ear tips designs (Comply, Shure Olive, multi-flanges, sony hybrids), noise isolation/cancellation, etc
But what I want to know is, based on the rate of advancement in the past decade(s), will the top-of-line IEMs today still sound as good compared with the norm in couple of years? What's the next big thing in IEM?
What are some of the past advancements that come to mind?

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 11
I would say that today's high-end will still be pretty darn good in a couple of years. The ones that are done right can lead the market for years - just look at the Ety ER4.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 11
how long do you think today's high-end will still be good for? Just few years? Decades?

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long do you think today's high-end will still be good for? Just few years? Decades?

Well, I think IEM technology will improve when there is either a significant improvement in music source or newer sound techology e.g. plasma sound wave technology become the standard.

Just out of curiosity, what made you ask this question?

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think IEM technology will improve when there is either a significant improvement in music source or newer sound techology e.g. plasma sound wave technology become the standard.

I have a feeling he is asking because he doesn't to spend several hundred dollars on a pair of IEMs to find that a much better version has been relased the day after he bought his...

and no, headphones/IEMs are not like apple ipods in that respect :p

sure advacments will happen, but it will take a bit of time for them to enter main stream, and unless its something 100% new and totaly changes the way IEMs work and sound(or something) current day top IEMs should hold their ground for quit some times; years at least, though not sure about decades.

I mean look at the sony MDR-V6, not a IEM but they have been around for a long time

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

ER4P is still considered to be a top IEM and its been around for 10+ years. I think all of the top IEMs today will still sound very good in the future. Better technology does not technically mean that it is going to sound "better."

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 11
The principles of music reproduction are the same, moving air against our eardrums, be it, speakers, headphones or IEMs. So what makes them move? Magnets and electricity. So what advancements have happened in the past decade? Just better materials and manufacturing.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I don't want my hard-earned cash to be spent on technology that'll be obsolete in a few years.
Having gone through several cassette players, CD players, and digital media players, I just hope the IEMs will last longer. Another reason is, as I am getting older, I am finding myself hoping things to slow down more and more often.... Oh well, getting old sucks....

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 11
When it comes to BA drivers, I happen to think the more is better option has been a good thing but many like the Ety folks seem to think it is more marketing than better sound. Ety engineers believe since you are only filling a space in your ear canal that has about 1 cubic cenimeter that a single driver is more than adequate (versus a loudspeaker having to fill an enitire room). That sounds pretty logical actually.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Well, I don't want my hard-earned cash to be spent on technology that'll be obsolete in a few years.
Having gone through several cassette players, CD players, and digital media players, I just hope the IEMs will last longer. Another reason is, as I am getting older, I am finding myself hoping things to slow down more and more often.... Oh well, getting old sucks....

There have been quite a few advancements in the past couple years, but Etys still sound as good as they always have, as do the 530s (out for a couple years now), etc. There are simply more "flavors" to choose from, and if you find one you like, and take care of it, I see no reason why you'd need to find the newest thing on the market, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, which many of us do.

I think some of the most dramatic improvements from technology have come in custom iem developments, and there are now really good choices at a few different price points. If you're looking for "the one," it might be something to investigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back