Techno, Electro & Underground Beats
Sep 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #80 of 9,736
i was referred here by WraithApe over at the "Electronic Music Exchange" thread. i was looking for recommendations for techno, its cool to see i have a whole "back catalog" to look at in this thread.
currently listening to an album called "imagin" by "dark sky". not half bad if you ask me.

here are some of my favorite tracks from the past couple of weeks:

this last one is a real favorite of mine - id love to hear anything like it

as for some discussion, anyone fancy waging an explanation for the difference between house and techno?
i was drunkenly explaining to a friend the other day that "if its fun its house, if its dark its techno" which is ofcourse a gross oversimplification and id love to hear yours 

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #81 of 9,736
i was referred here by WraithApe over at the "Electronic Music Exchange" thread. i was looking for recommendations for techno, its cool to see i have a whole "back catalog" to look at in this thread.
currently listening to an album called "imagin" by "dark sky". not half bad if you ask me.

Hey there! Dark Sky... I don't know Imagin, but I did like their Black Rainbows EP from a couple of years back:

Dark Sky - Black Rainbows EP

I seem to recall we had a bit of a discussion on this thread about the difference between house and techno - page 1 or 2 I think - reckon you pretty much nailed it though: techno = darker, colder, house = lighter, warmer. It's a sliding scale of course, but that's always been my rule of thumb.

Look forward to checking out all your vids when I get chance!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #82 of 9,736

Hey there! Dark Sky... I don't know Imagin, but I did like their Black Rainbows EP from a couple of years back:

I seem to recall we had a bit of a discussion on this thread about the difference between house and techno - page 1 or 2 I think - reckon you pretty much nailed it though: techno = darker, colder, house = lighter, warmer. It's a sliding scale of course, but that's always been my rule of thumb.

Look forward to checking out all your vids when I get chance!

techno doesnt pretend to be pleasant i think. incorparating obvious samples shamelessly, like harsh midi hi hats. whereas house will usually be softened up, easyer on the ear and more "user friendly"...

imagin the only album of theirs that i could find, ill be sure to check out the ep as well

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #83 of 9,736
Listening to your selection @adamlr, it strikes me that maybe you're more into tech house than techno per se. That's in no way intended as a criticism, just sayin
normal_smile .gif
 Not wanting to get too hung up on genres, but FCL and HVOB are pretty much what I would call straight up house tracks, Woolford and Ten Walls tech house. Diploid is techno, but kind of trance techno I think. My favourite is certainly Dense & Pika - nice track that.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #84 of 9,736
  Listening to your selection @adamlr, it strikes me that maybe you're more into tech house than techno per se. That's in no way intended as a criticism, just sayin
normal_smile .gif
 Not wanting to get too hung up on genres, but FCL and HVOB are pretty much what I would call straight up house tracks, Woolford and Ten Walls tech house. Diploid is techno, but kind of trance techno I think. My favourite is certainly Dense & Pika - nice track that.

possible. ive noticed im not very good at recognizing sub genres in dance music (other not necessarily dance music is easier for me for some reason). but take dense and pika. thats virtually the only track of theirs that i like. ive checked out some of their eps and was quite underwhelmed...

how about this one? i discovered it today while listening to "eliphino"s boiler room. i think ive heard it 20 times today, got anymore that sound like this:

ps
working through the thread, ive got passed the 1st couple of pages. its mostly oldschool stuff which is less my thing, but i did find "CJ Bolland - Camargue", went straight to my youtube playlist that 
beyersmile.png

ps ps
forgive the dark sky plugging - it will pass :p

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #85 of 9,736
  possible. ive noticed im not very good at recognizing sub genres in dance music (other not necessarily dance music is easier for me for some reason). but take dense and pika. thats virtually the only track of theirs that i like. ive checked out some of their eps and was quite underwhelmed...

Perhaps because it's more on a house tip, with that piano refrain? It's lighter than previous stuff I've heard of theirs. For me, that's not necessarily a good thing (although in this case it works) as I do tend to like my techno hard and dark, as you'll probably gather! House i dig too, but not all forms of house. Deep house especially I just find kind of meh. Stuff with a sunny, euphoric vibe and melodic singing, I tend to pass on. But then I am an old grouch basically.

Actually, now I know a little bit more about your tastes, I've got some other recommendations: Robert Babicz, Thomas Bjerring, Agoria, Scuba, Bicep, John Talabot, Photonz, Dauwd, Dusky, Fort Romeau, Todd Terje. As for something like that Ten Walls track... how about another Ten Walls track?
wink_face.gif
 Forgot I had this till I was going through my collection just now: Ten Walls - Gotham

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #86 of 9,736

Main aim is just to have a place to share vids - new or old stuff is cool, but nothing too mainstream - bring out those underground beats!

Nice.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #89 of 9,736
@WraithApe

While listening to track 1 and 2 I immediately thought you'd probably dig this electro release too from let me guess.. an artist you already really dig? Hehe..

Marco Bernardi - Spoken Word of Lie

Any recs of very similar stuff?

I do like that - the tape warp vox are a nice touch! You'll be pleased to know I've never heard of it either!

Very similar? Dunno really... It's minimal, it's acidic... Scape One maybe - I'm sure you already know him. And Cultek - that's going back a bit though...

Cultek - Human Interface EP

Going back even further, Ryuichi Sakamoto's B2-Unit springs to mind:

Ryuichi Sakamoto - B-2 Unit

Let's have some Aphex acid too =)

The Tuss - Rushup Edge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back