Technics RP-DJ1200K, Good/Bad Choice?
May 31, 2004 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skitzo

Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I've been looking around these forums for a while, but this is my first post (with hopefully many to come). I knew if I had a question, this is the place to ask it, and so here I am.

Anyways, I was thinking of purchasing the RP-DJ1200K. I will be using a portable source (Sony D-FJ61) and a Second Generation Gary amplifier (solid state). I listen to a wide variety of music (with the exception of country), and found it for $90 USD. Would that be affordable? And finally, would this be a good choice for me?

On a technical note, my amplifier has a 1/8 inch jack. These headphones have a 1/8 inch jack with a screw on 1/4 inch adapter. Would it be better to:
- Unscrew the adapter and plug the 1/8 inch into the 1/8 inch? or
- Use the adapter and use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to put it in the 1/8 inch jack?
The second option seems like a situation with too many connections, but I have heard 1/4 leads to better a better connection. Would the 1/4 inch jack's greater surface area be nullified by the number of connections?

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing. These headphones have an impedence of 32 ohms. Is my amp (very similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...702298956&rd=1 ) a good match? I'm not sure if this is a headphone that requires a lot of voltage or current or power and which one of those my amp is providing.

I apologize if I have too many questions :). Thanks for viewing this thread, and even more thank you very much in advance to those of you who can give me some feedback.

May 31, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't really comment on the Technics phone, because I haven't heard it - but I vaguely remember some comments that it was only good for dj purposes. For alternative recommendations, you'd need to post a little more about your sonic preferences...

For the connection, definitely unscrew the 1/4" adaptor. Every transition means added resistance and a tiny bit of signal loss, so one 1/8" connection will always be better than one 1/4" plus two 1/8" connections (rare cases of plug/socket incompatibilities excluded...). The difference might not really be noticable, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 31, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you, lini.

I listen to rock (all but metal), hiphop, and oldies (of all varieties).

I think I am going to pick up the headphones tommorrow, but any positive or negative comments on theses headphones would be greatly appreciated.

May 31, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 6
You'd probably do better with something like the Alessandro MS-1's with flats. I love mine... I listen to mostly rock (not too heavy) and some contemporary jazz and they sound really nice especially for the price. And they can be had for $99 with shipping and taxes included. Even the SR-60's or A900's (if you want closed) would be much better.

The technics phones aren't too bad for DJ use. They sound like most DJ phones, bass heavy. I always liked the senn hd-25's much more for that use.

For actual listening I would suggest something else. But as always listen to them and decide for yourself... just try to listen to a couple to see what else is out there, find "your sound".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back