technics rp-dj1200a?
Sep 4, 2002 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KitZiLLa

New Head-Fier
Can anyone who owns/has heard this pair of headphones, tell me a bit more about them(i.e. small review)? I did a search for these, but there isn't too much description on them. How are the high's mids, and especially lows? I'm kind of looking for "boomy" headphones with deep bass extension. How's the durability? Can they be powered effeciently out of a portable? Thanks to anyone who can help!! btw, i know you all hate the mdr-v700dj, but i find them "fun" to listen to........ how do the technics compare to the sonys bass wise? and for everyone who is going to recommend to me v6's....... i already own a pair(they are great headphones), but i want something a bit more "duhmbass"
wink.gif
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!

-Kit

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 12
beyerdynamic Dt-250-80. they have deep bass and lots of it.

duno about that technics tho.. i think magicthyes is getting a pair.. ask him

or ex70 if you want ultimate portable. they sound a lot like v700dj, but $40 and are really small and comfortable (canal phones). they have gobs of bass.

i think that the V6 is much more "fun" than the v700dj, so our tastes are quite differnet, but i am sure you would be satisfied with the beyerdynamics...

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 12
i knew i was forgetting something :::

Koss porta pro/ sporta pro/ ksc-55 or 35. they have lots of bass, and sound better than the v700dj. the 55 is only $15 at circuit city. i am dead serious, so dont take this lightly.

Sep 4, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 12
a1leyez0nm3 as usual comes up with the most wonderfully practical solutions.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
(in case the irony wasn't 100% clear)

I'm getting the Pioneer HDJ-1000 if that helps, soon when they come out here.

I've unfortunately no plans to grab the Technics phone, unless the Pioneers really suck. Would a review of the HDJ-1000 (towards the end of Sept) help you any?

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Sep 18, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Magicthyse::::

have you compared the Senn HD280 with the Sony V6/7506 ?

I have the HD280 and contemplating if the sound quality is good enough over the V6/7506 [haven't tried these yet]
frown.gif
???

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 12
We can't get the V6 here, and the 7506 at £110 ($170) discounted is not looking very tempting at the moment.

If I can shift the HD280 to a friend, maybe.

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 12
I bought a pair of Senn. HD25s for DJing, and I'm very, very pleased with them. They fit the way I use them well, they are loud and clean, and they isolate really well. The only problem I have with them is the short cord, which I am trying to get a solution to in another thread.

A friend of mine recently puchased the DJ1200a and sent them back after two weeks. I don't really know why, so I'm not sure that's much help.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I think the problem is that the RP-DJ1200a, even for DJ use (as opposed to the review, which I ought to say is written for the guys over at Minidisc T-forums so reflects portable needs rather than DJ needs) are neither here nor there and pretty expensive with it, almost on a par with the HD 25's in the UK - they don't cater sufficiently well for the 'bwumm' V700 lovers and their sound is not precise enough to cater for the 'thud' Sennheiser lovers.

They look nice though, IMHO. Relatively understated compared to the V700 and the HDJ-1000, but way better looking than the Sennheisers. But I for one am happy that I borrowed these to review.

For another opinion however, my friend, who I borowed these from for a couple of weeks, agreed with my assessment of their sound wholeheartedly, but he says that the general solid build did it for him. He's a designer/engineer and apparently the V700's design is more fragile than the RP-DJ1200a's under normal use. I don't think so, but he's better qualified...

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Yes... Quite extended use (in cool conditions) presented me with no problems. They do clamp quite tight though, but that's a necessity of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back