* * * Technics Rp-dj1200/1210 * * *
Jun 17, 2002 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DJ Darchinova

New Head-Fier
Hey peoples...

I am just enquiring for my brother on the Technics RP-DJ1200 and the 1210's. He is really in the for the name and looks while the sound quality doesnt matter much to him. A good amount of sound blackage is also useful to him...
smily_headphones1.gif

So if anyone can expand on these headphones or have any previous reviews on them, please feel free to send the link (from this forum, headwize, etc.) or post.

All help is appreciated!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi DJ Darchinova... Welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

A mini bump for your thread here in case people who are in the know didn't spot it, but - if i'm honest with you, I don't remember seeing any reviews of Technics gear here..

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong...

On a different line, if its a name your brother is after... Ixos Ministry Of Sound 'phones are pretty good, and a couple of people here have one of the four models... maybe worth a look in that direction?!

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 12
i had a pair of the black technics phones for a few days. they sounded like crap, they seemed cheaply constructed, and the earpads were really small (didnt fit over ears at all). if he really wants a flashy brand-name dj headphone, he'd be better off with the sony v700dj. theyre about the same price as the technics, and i think theyre much better. everyone here rips on them, but if name and looks come before sound, then i think your brother would be happy with the sonys.

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 12
i had a pair of the technics for a few months. they sound ok, not good but alright, and have amazingly huge bass. i think i could blow my eardrums with those things if i turned them up loud. the pads are small and they are a bit vise-like. also the headband is kinda heavy so they tended to want to fall off if i made any sudden movements. other than that, i thought that they weren't all that bad. they fold up really small, are pretty sturdy, and are water resistant/sweat proof.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the help so far..
biggrin.gif

But does anyone know the difference between the MDR-V700 and RP-DJ1210/1200 sound quality? (mid, low, hi)

And what is the amount of sound they block out? (I heard the Technics block more out)

Oh, and one last thing, which of the two are more comfortable after a long period (or short) of time?

cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Excuse me if my English is bad. But, as I'm a DJ and as I had the opportunity to listen to all the headphones concerned, I think my input may be usefull.

Personnaly, I wouldn't recommend neither the Technics model (it is not because Technics make wonderfull turntables that their headphones are also good), neither the Sony V700DJ.

The sony is quite too bulky for most DJ's, it's quite unconfortable and has no sonic qualities: the sound is bassy and quite undifined.

The Technics model is quite better than the Sony: lignter, a bit smaller, and a better sound too, but IMHO it is still not worth its price.

If you want to buy Sony, I would go for the Sony V 6 or MDR 7506. These headphones have a very good isolation capacity, are quite handy, have a good sound and aren't too expensive.

If you're looking for the best DJ Headphone ever made (IMHO), go for the Sennheiser HD 25. This headphone has the best sound I never heard from a DJ (closed) headphone, bass extension, precise and well defined highs, Excellent isolation . + it is light , foldable and solid like a tank! The only problem: it is quite expensive (175$ from Meier Audio).
hd25gross.jpg

If you're looking for a less expensive solution, the HD 25 sp is also a choice to be considered, since it shares a lot of qualities with his brother HD 25, it prix is about the 90$.

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 12
If you wanna block out sound and have something that is highly durable, get the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.. Those block the most sound of any DJ headphones I know of!

Remember, Sennheiser makes the best headphones in the world! The Orpheus says so!!

See? The Big O:
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020089090

And here is the 280 Pro:
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020080280

The 280 Pro is cheap here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hificonc...hdprohead.html

They don't have the fashion thing going on, but they are incredibly useful tools for the professional.

Jun 20, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 12
Steril: I've been considering giving the HD 25s a try because I'm not satisfied with my HD 280 Pros as far as DJing is concerned. Could you compare the bass response of the HD 25s to the 700DJs? I read a review of them on audioreview.com and someone said the 25 is too tight and uncomfortable while the 25sp's are a little more comforable. However, on Sennheiser's website they list the clamping force of the 25's as being 2.5 N and the 25sp's as 3 N. Thanks for any additional information...

nate

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Apart from my brother, i am also getting new headphones. My choice right now is the HD-280 Pro's for DJ'ing...
but as nierika said, are they really that bad for DJ'ing? To tight? Not comfortable? Cant Manoeuvre as much?

The reason why they are 1st choice is due to the brand name and the abount of sound it blocks out

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 12
I never owned a V700DJ, however, I've a friend who owns one.

So my comparisons are based on quite brief comparative auditions. But the difference is quite obvious to my ears.
It is difficult to translate with words the impressions you ear obviously (and even more difficult when you're english is so poor);

For me, the HD 25 gives an obvious impression of precision compared ti the V700DJ. I like techno music, and you now, there are tons of different bassy beats in the different tracks. With the V700, it's more like all those beats are the same; with the H25, you better hear the difference. (but the great difference,IMHO, is about the highs: HD 25 has marvellous highs).

About comfort now: HD 25 is not an headphone meant for long listening seances in the couch. Is more like a tool meant for monitoring in live circumstances. There certainly is more pression than with my other headphones (HD 580 for instance), but it's quite handy because the won't fall if you move when DJ'ing.
Also, they are very light, and quite small, and have a rotable earcup, so the won't disturb you. (V700DJ is big and not handy at all IMO).

Maybe the best thing is to give them a try and see if they feel confortable on you...

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by DJ Darchinova
Apart from my brother, i am also getting new headphones. My choice right now is the HD-280 Pro's for DJ'ing...
but as nierika said, are they really that bad for DJ'ing? To tight? Not comfortable? Cant Manoeuvre as much?

The reason why they are 1st choice is due to the brand name and the abount of sound it blocks out

DJ Darchinova: I switched from Sony v900s to HD 280 Pros for DJing. I really like their comfort and isolation. My only problem with them is that the bass isn't emphasized as much as I would like it to be. While you CAN mix with a flat bass response, I just think it's easier with a little boomyness when trying to cue the first beat of a track or mixing a track that's mostly bass and not much high end. I actually just borrowed a headphone amplifier for DJs from a friend that has pretty much solved the bass problem: http://www.redsound.com/products/mamp/index.htm. It has a 2 watt output and you can adjust Treble and Bass +-12. It has more than enough power for these 64ohm 280 Pros, and I've emailed RedSound to ask if it is enough to power 250-300 ohm headphones. The Sennheiser HD 25s look very interesting, and I wish I didn't live in a small-ass city without any stores where I could demo a pair. But I think circumaural cans better fit my style, and will probably give the Beyerdynamic DT-250s a try next.

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Well i my brother has made a decision to get the MDR-V700DJ's and i have chosen the HD-280's...
so when they arrive ill compare them in my own time.

I'm sure i could use both for different situations..
thanks for all the help posted!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back