Technics @ radioshack
May 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I'm relatively new to this forum.
A couple of days ago, I went into Radio Shack to pick up a handful of KSC 75s for myself and my sister after hearing such great things about them on these forums. While I was there and chatting with the owner of the store, he pulled me over to the new speaker displays to show me a handful of the new things that he's been stocking, he showed me a set of Technics Headphones: RH-DH1200 I believe the number on them was. Naturally, being his store, he was trying to convince me to drop the KSC 75s and pick up a pair of these instead. For the past couple of weeks, I've been considering purchasing a pair of grados or beyers (haven't made a decision yet), but, since I'd never seen these Technics cans before, I decided to do a little research on them to see if they really were any good. I can't find any information about them online (anything useful beyond simple descriptions and prices). Can anyone tell me anything about these phones?
Thanks

May 15, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite
Hello, I'm relatively new to this forum.
A couple of days ago, I went into Radio Shack to pick up a handful of KSC 75s for myself and my sister after hearing such great things about them on these forums. While I was there and chatting with the owner of the store, he pulled me over to the new speaker displays to show me a handful of the new things that he's been stocking, he showed me a set of Technics Headphones: RH-DH1200 I believe the number on them was. Naturally, being his store, he was trying to convince me to drop the KSC 75s and pick up a pair of these instead. For the past couple of weeks, I've been considering purchasing a pair of grados or beyers (haven't made a decision yet), but, since I'd never seen these Technics cans before, I decided to do a little research on them to see if they really were any good. I can't find any information about them online (anything useful beyond simple descriptions and prices). Can anyone tell me anything about these phones?
Thanks

Sorry, I dont have first hand experience with those.
Bring your ipod/amp back to rat shack and listen to them. Compare them directly to your KSC75.

I for one am curious how well the KSC75 keeps up with a $100 DJ can.

Garrett

May 15, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 12
technics is highly regarded by DJs, and based mostly in Europe. Technics is the same company as Panasonic.

can't speak for the sound quality- though I must say, I haven't been thrilled by my Panasonic RPHT970 headphones.

May 16, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Last year, I bought some Technics RP-DJ1210 headphones, not quite the same model as the ones you're looking at. They were really nice and "big" sounding. The small amount of drum 'n bass and hip-hop I listen to sounded really good on them, and they had really really good isolation.

But, in the end I found them lousy for rock, which is what I mainly listen to, so I sold them and bought some MS-1's, and never looked back
smily_headphones1.gif

So I guess it depends what music you listen to. I think I might have actually tried out the ones you're talking about as well, if they're the ones I think they are, they were absolute bass monsters!

May 16, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks you guys.
I took kramer's advice and took my NW E507 and the KSC 75's back to rat shack and asked him if I could run some tests. He was nice and had a pair in the back. I have to agree with the other posters. The bass tracks on some of my J-pop stuff sounded pretty good but most of my rock collection and most of my Indian music collection sounded pretty subpar.
Think its safe to say I'm gonna stick with the KSC 75's till I get some better cans
Thank's again for the help

May 16, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite
Thanks you guys.
I took kramer's advice and took my NW E507 and the KSC 75's back to rat shack and asked him if I could run some tests. He was nice and had a pair in the back. I have to agree with the other posters. The bass tracks on some of my J-pop stuff sounded pretty good but most of my rock collection and most of my Indian music collection sounded pretty subpar.
Think its safe to say I'm gonna stick with the KSC 75's till I get some better cans
Thank's again for the help

sticking with the KSC 75s is a good idea... they are highly under-rated pretty much everywhere except here

May 16, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 12
These Technics cans are DJ stuff. They have a pretty good reputation for durability (at least the DJ1200 has), but I'd expect the sound to be tuned for precise beat-matching, i.e. lots of bass. Thus they wouldn't be first choice for general listening.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 12
DH1200 is junk comparing to DJ1200, DH is absolutely un-listenable after listening to DJs. Boomy, no highs, and what even more frustrating - can not be adjusted by any amp or equalization, oh yeah.. tons of volume, but otherwise just plain garbage.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Technics a part of Panasonic that has good (for consumer level) stuff in general. My parents have an old Technics stereo that sounds decent. Haven't heard much about their headphones though.

Gaaah!! I'm an old enough fart as it is, without being reminded by posts such as above (no offense intended). Technics became famous for direct-drive turntables, and basically put Benjamin Miracord, Dual, and Garrard out of business. They started putting out other quality consumer high-fidelity stuff after that. The holy grail at the time was zero-tracking error tonearms. I still have an SL-7, which can best be described as a humongous CD player. A trap-door lid with a 2 inch tone arm that runs back and forth on a horizontal track, and is microprocessor-optically corrected for tracking angle error.

sl7catalog.jpg

The good old days ...

P.S. Technics, Panasonic, Quasar - it's all Matsu****a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back