technical question re: speaker Xovers.
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Champ04

100+ Head-Fier
So I ran across something I've never seen before and would like someone with more experience to explain it to me.

I have a pair of Dunlavy SC-1 speakers. The design uses a pair of Vifa P13WG-00 8ohm drivers in parallel.
It's a first order design, so only one coil. The coil has no value marking on it but I know it to be crossed over at 3500Hz.

Here is the confusing part. The circuit has a zobel (2ohm/2.7u). But instead of paralleling the drivers, which is what I have always seen before, it parallels the coil.

Why?

Looking at the impedance/phase measurements, it is obviously preventing the impedance from rising in the upper frequency of the driver's operating range.

What difference does this design make?

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 6
okay, no bites on this one.

Can anyone suggest a forum somewhere more fitting for this type of question?
Thanks!!

Nov 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, no bites on this one.

Can anyone suggest a forum somewhere more fitting for this type of question?
Thanks!!

Yes. Come on over to PE's Tech Talk.

Tech Talk - Powered by vBulletin

We're a small, yet dedicated group. If you don't get many responses, I'll send out some PMs...

Good Luck!
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 6
cool.
Thanks!

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Like you say, this design is used to prevent impedance swings at certain frequencies. I sincerely doubt that that crossover circuit would degrade sonics much; and it is requiring for overall system response.

As usual, if the quality of parts is decent, and the design is implemented correctly, there is no need for concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back