Tech-report.com sez Audigy rules, not Santa Cruz in latest roundup...
Sep 3, 2002 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
...maybe the wool batting in their speakers is mounted on the outside?
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...s/index.x?pg=1

Sep 3, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 9
who cares.. it's probably run by fifteen year olds (no offense to any head-fiers).

maybe the people who did the review didn't notice the 150mb download for creative drivers..

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 9
I did manage to follow up about the CMI 8738 audio chip... according to many different reviewers it actually sounds better than the good old SB Live. Since my new motherboard has this chip, I'm going to use it for simple music/games duty.

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I read a review about 4 months ago that said the same thing... all I know is that sound blaster live sucks :p

Biggie.

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh, I remember this review, and we tore it apart on 3DSS. We came to the conclusion that the individual was either on drugs, or tone-deaf. In retrospect, I think the reviewer and BKelly have the same preferrences in audio sound, considering the CT DAC on the Fronts Out produces harsh highs and has very poor low bass response, and muddied mids. Sounds like the HD590s....
biggrin.gif

Regarding better Headphone gaming, I have the TBSC and Audigy in my system, and with the Hardware Accelerated OpenAL driver, the games that use it sound much better on the Audigy. (Ex: Jedi Knight II, SoF2) The EAX DSP on the Audigy is improved than the earlier Live models. (thus the reason for having 2 cards, one for gaming, one for music)

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 9
How are you running two sound cards? It seems like it should be pretty easy, but don't you run into driver conflicts and stuff? What OS are you using?

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't really understand why there is so much 'Live!' bashing going on...

Although that could be because I have digital(ly fed) speakers, and use my headphones through my DAC... so am missing the analogue outputs altogether...

I am kind of tempted to upgrade to the Extigy though... does anyone have any opinions of it?? POS??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back